gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:14:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Musical references/quotations in BWRG  (Read 6336 times)
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 11, 2010, 05:56:57 PM »

I thought I'd get this one going, since there seem to be so many!!  Fair game, I figure, are references to Beach Boys songs, but also to Gershwin songs other than the one ostensibly being played (I'm fairly sure this happens at least once).  I'll start off with one I heard about on the board, and one I found for myself:

The end of I Got Rhythm pretty clearly references Farmer's Daughter. 

The background vocals during the solo on They Can't Take That Away From Me are a pretty clear reference to the Ronettes: Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love.

What else can we find?
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 08:01:49 PM »

At the end of "Nothing But Love", the phrase "nothing but love" is sung like the "lucky old sun" phrase from Briayn's last album, which is then followed by the ascending harmonies that were used at the end of "In Blue Hawaii" on BWPS. During the beginning of the "Rhapsody in Blue' intro, the first instrument to play in the background is an accordion. Brian's first memory of music was "Rhapsody", and he took lessons for accordion when he was boy, the only time he ever took musical lessons (and it may, thus, have been the first instrument he tried to play seriously). A cute reference.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 02:27:52 AM »

I don't think there's any musical similarity besides the fact both are played on strings, but the strings in I Got Plenty O Nuttin really remind me of Tones/Tune X.

When 'They Can't Take That Away From Me' first started up, I caught myself singing 'Little Deuce Coupe'....  LOL

Still trying to find a Shortenin' Bread riff... 

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 02:55:26 AM »

Still trying to find a Shortenin' Bread riff...  

To my astonishment, there doesn't seem to be one.  Thud

Hearing something I can't put my finger on in the tag of "NBL" - thought it was "Our Prayer" at first... definitely a Smile something.

The tag of "Nuttin'" is, to me at any rate, distinctly "Three Blind Mice"-ish... but then pretty much the whole track is infused with the Pet Sounds/Smile ambience.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:01:12 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 03:17:30 AM »

In I Get Plenty O Nuttin 0.54-1.05, I hear a striking similarity to Three Blind Mice, as-well as the aforementioned overall similarity to Tones. I don't think these are conscious quotations but I take them to be re-assuring evidence that Brian's very much at the controls this time (Hooray!)

Edit: Doh Doe, you pipped me to it!!

The shuffle beat in Can't Take That Away that another poster has mentioned elsewhere, reminds me of Wouldn't It Be Nice.

The ascending vocal part at the end I would say has its origins in the H&V sessions (Bridge to indians), Our Prayer and is also used in Goin On. I think this particular part was discussed a while ago on the board, and somebody suggested this ascending thing originated in All Dressed Up For School (the dit dit dits).

Great idea for a thread btw! If you do the same thing with Smile though, the whole world folds in on itself, heaving under the weight of a trillion cross-references that simultaneously move backwards and forwards through time  - "Love To say Dada definitely contains a quote from Saturday Morning in the City" etc.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:21:17 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 03:20:26 AM »

Does I've Got a Crush on You incorporate something of 'Sweet Mountain' Huh
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 03:22:14 AM »

Yeah, I'd say that 'Nothing But Love' bit is H&V more than anything.
No 'Shortenin' Bread'? Sacrilege! I blame Paul Mertens  LOL

'Love To Say Dada' definitely contains a quote from 'Chapel Of Love', btw Tongue

As for Sweet Mountain, I'd guess that's more a doo-wop similarity than any conscious referencing....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 03:22:48 AM »

I'd say it's a dead ringer for "This Isn't Love" from the cocaine sessions!

'Love To Say Dada' definitely contains a quote from 'Chapel Of Love', btw Tongue

Lol! It does contain a quote from Had To Phone Ya though!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 03:36:28 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 07:15:24 AM »

really?

can I have a little help identifying this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Turtle_13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 07:26:55 AM »

The piano intro to "I've got a crush on you" reminds me of "I'm bugged at my ol' man"..........
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 07:37:05 AM »

All the attempts to ID the "Crush" track should bear in mind it's the standard doo-wop chord progression. Brian used a version of it in several of his songs, but it doesn't originate with him.
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:48 AM »

At the end of "I Got Rhythm" I hear the bari sax is playing the line from the sax breakdown in Salt Lake City underneath the "Farmer's Daughter" riff
Also, I got the impression of "Little Saint Nick" or "Help Me Rhonda" rhythm-wise on the backing track of "They Can't take That Away From Me"

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2010, 09:07:43 AM »

I hear the intro to "Wouldn't It Be Nice" and "Rhonda" on a couple of the songs. And I hear the riff to "Shortenin' Bread" on another.

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 10:11:50 AM »

The most obvious to me is the melody from Passing By in the outro to TLIILY.

All these clever quotes could all be coincidental of course - Brian and the band are both steeped BB/Wilson music, having created and recreated so much of it, so its hardly surprising that bits of instrumentation and certain riffs find their way into new material.

The best quote ever from the BB-related canon is Carl running through the melodic tag of You Still Believe in Me at the end of Mike's Brian is Back. Its a very clever and very touching way of incorporating Brian's voice into a song about him, and acknowledging his bandmates' ongoing faith in and him and affection for him.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 10:33:58 AM »

really?

Ok so I say quote, I kind of meant that Had To Phone Ya is very similar, rythmically, and in its use of percussion. Try singing the opening line to Phone Ya ("had to phone ya, had to phone ya just to talk to you") between 0.25 and 0.33 of Love to say Da da and you hopefully hear what I mean. This cross referencing of BB songs is pretty subjective - one person might hear the similarity between say the opening to Da da, and the wa ha la lu lay la bit of worms, or between wa ha la lu lay and whistle in and another will say it's all nonsense, and it's difficult to argue conclusively either way. Personally I think Phone Ya is son of Dada!!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:37:54 AM by buddhahat » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 11:30:25 AM »

Try singing 'Going, to the chapel and we're, gonna get married' along with the clarinets in Dada... It's the exact same! I'm not crazy, honest  Wink

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 11:58:58 AM »

All these clever quotes could all be coincidental of course - Brian and the band are both steeped BB/Wilson music, having created and recreated so much of it, so its hardly surprising that bits of instrumentation and certain riffs find their way into new material.

That should be referred to as the George Harrison defense. 
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »

really?

Ok so I say quote, I kind of meant that Had To Phone Ya is very similar, rythmically, and in its use of percussion. Try singing the opening line to Phone Ya ("had to phone ya, had to phone ya just to talk to you") between 0.25 and 0.33 of Love to say Da da and you hopefully hear what I mean. This cross referencing of BB songs is pretty subjective - one person might hear the similarity between say the opening to Da da, and the wa ha la lu lay la bit of worms, or between wa ha la lu lay and whistle in and another will say it's all nonsense, and it's difficult to argue conclusively either way. Personally I think Phone Ya is son of Dada!!

where does Trombone Dixie fit in with all this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 08:33:25 PM »

The way Brian sings the words "the like in I love you" is the exact same melody as the "do do do, do do" part from about halfway through Midnight's Another Day.

Yes, I caved in. Sue me.  Razz

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 10:49:21 PM »

The way Brian sings the words "the like in I love you" is the exact same melody as the "do do do, do do" part from about halfway through Midnight's Another Day.

Yes, I caved in. Sue me.  Razz

Good spot!

bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2010, 11:08:45 PM »

not exactly but close...
man it would be nice to hear Passing By performed live
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 12:46:06 AM »

not exactly but close...
man it would be nice to hear Passing By performed live

Close is good enough for a quote!! Smiley Smiley However I think its more likely a coincidence, or an atavism. Or a distant memory passing by.

But yes, a live version of PB would be fab. Have you hard the version by the Pizzicato 5? It rocks! I've heard a few versions of it over the years but those by P5 and the BBs are best.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 12:51:28 AM »

the tag on "They Can't Take That Away" is reminding me of "She's Got Rhythm"
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2010, 07:26:02 AM »

Someone To Watch Over Me has a faint tinkling of Wonderful about it...

“We live in divisive times.”
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2010, 10:05:28 AM »

I got plenty of nuttin' also reminds me of Al's California, in a way

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx