gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:46:03 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
5 - 61 (46.6%)
4 - 51 (38.9%)
3 - 18 (13.7%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 121

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)  (Read 70642 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:20:34 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!), released June 1965.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 02:12:53 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:21:52 PM »

Except for the horrid Spector cover, great. 4.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:22:48 PM »

Very, very good. 4.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jason
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:24:46 PM »

A wonderful album. The band at their pure pop finest. There's just no avoiding this album, it's an albatross up there with All Summer Long, Today!, Pet Sounds, Sunflower, and Love You.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 04:26:15 PM »

A wonderful album. The band at their pure pop finest. There's just no avoiding this album, it's an albatross up there with All Summer Long, Today!, Pet Sounds, NOT Sunflower because it's a few notches below the others, and Love You.

Nothing like a doctored quote to clear things up...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005, 04:26:47 PM »

Don't knock the Flower!

Jason
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2005, 04:27:27 PM »

Hey at least my statement was good enough to be doctored. Smiley
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005, 04:16:58 AM »

In my opinion the best pre-"Pet Sounds" album. Yes, it doesn´t have the cohesive mood of Today´s side two, but there are some genuis tracks on it. "California Girls", "Help Me Rhonda", "Let Him Run Wild" or "Summer Means New Love" are pop-music at it´s best. Other bands would be happy if they would have a best-of-album like this.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005, 04:45:52 AM »

"Let Him Run Wild"s vocal isn't too flash (combine that, and the alternate version on the disc together and you'd have a great one)... Some great tunes, some dire.

If "Today" was Brians blueprint for "Pet Sounds", then "Summer Days" was the prototype of "20/20" in its hodgepodge nature.

4 stars.
SurferGirl7
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005, 12:27:28 PM »

My orginal review of it on the old SS:
This is a real underrated album. Starting off with the girl from new york city is a gem. Amusement Parks USA I liked so much I put it always in my alt. PS (my six song intro.) Al kicks a$$ on Then I kissed her. I was really stunned to see him do it live all these years later. Salt Lake City is even better in stereo. What a great backing track that one! Help Me Rhonda. You have to be deaf to not like this song no matter if it's Today version, Summer day version, endless harmony alt. version it works. Perfect single. Ok now we get to the big Kahuna of the BB catalog: California Girls. I do really mean it when I say that it IS one the best introduction's of a song in pop music EVER. That is usually the first track in all my PS alt. Let him run wild. It's a shame that Brian can't see how good this version is. The backing track is awesome and the vocals are just chilling. He sings it the way he does in Don't Talk. Especially 2nd verse. Also on alt. PS. You're so good to me is such a cool song. I dig the lalala's in it. The sessions for this song are boring but what came of it is anything but! Summer means new love is one of my real favorite of the instrumentals (next to Trombone Dixie and Let's go away for a while). I never realized how good it was till I heard it in stereo. I'm bugged at my old man is very disturbing. I know it's suppose to be funny but I felt that way about it. And your dreams come true. Whoa. That baby in stereo is mind blowing. I play that thing usually every night before I go to sleep. It was Brian's first song at the first concert I went to see him at. My jaw was on the floor when they sang it. Overall, great album and what a great sign of what was to come in terms of Brian's genius.

So in other words, 5 all the way
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005, 12:39:55 PM by SurferGirl7 » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2005, 12:38:28 PM »

Brian kicks a$$ on Then I kissed her.

That's Al.

SurferGirl7
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2005, 12:39:11 PM »

Embarrassed my bad.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2005, 12:39:29 PM »

Shocked
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2005, 12:41:25 PM »

Grin

LaurieBiagini
Smiley Smile Newbie

Songwriter/Singer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2005, 12:21:07 AM »

I gave it a 5 as well.  Awesome album.

Check out my music on my website: http://www.myspace.com/lauriebiaginimusic
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 12:35:50 PM »

10 stars.
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2006, 01:43:18 PM »

I like Rhonda in the Key it's played in on this album. But I think I prefer the drunken Ronda on Today.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
analogdemon
Smiley Smile Associate

I've been in this town so long...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2006, 01:15:00 PM »

Out of all the pre-Pet Sounds albums, this one gets the most spins.  Great from start to finish, though I probably wouldn't miss "I'm Bugged at My Old Man".  5 Stars.  Love it!

I once had a dream so I packed up and split for the city.  I soon found out that my lonely life wasn't so pretty.
NC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2006, 10:52:33 AM »

This has always been a favorite for me and easily in my top 5 BB albums. Though it masquerades as a typical "summer, good time" album, it's got quite a bit of melancholy also. For instance, consider the hurt feeling and disappointments in "Girl Don't Tell Me" and "Let Him Run Wild" (my all-time favorite BB song). I also love the way "And Your Dreams Come True" closes the album with that wistful mood. The "one more summer" line never fails to move me, when I think about the history of the Beach Boys and Brian, longing for that perfect summer that never came. I consider this an end of an era for them. The next year, Pet Sounds came along and everything changed. Though the music was undeniably great, a lot of the sweetness, humor and fun was gone forever.

Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2006, 11:47:23 AM »

By and large, I prefer this over 'Today!'  Great songs, great vibe.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2006, 09:15:36 PM »

Close, very close, to perfection.

I clicked 4, and now I've changed my mind. There is no option to let me change my vote to the big 5.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2006, 09:17:11 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2006, 10:59:27 PM »

This is an album with a few incredible songs. CalGir, LetHRWild, YourSGTMe, SummMKLove and GirlDTMe. The rest of it is so so. Except for 'Bugged..' which I hate.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
1-1-wonderful
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2006, 07:19:55 AM »

Were it not for 'Amusement Parks USA' it would earn a 5.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2006, 07:05:46 AM »

I'd like to hear a backing track for Amusement Parks USA, without the vocals I reckon it would be like the sound of insanity.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2007, 04:06:00 AM »

This album was another solid effort but it was a notch down from Today! The Girl From New York City is an alright song but nothing special. Amusement Parks USA has a unique and great backing track but the overall feel of the song (with the vocals) just isn't a pleasant experience for me. Then I Kissed Her is nice enough but seems kind of pointless. Salt Lake City is a pretty good track and is the best song on the album out of the opening 4 tracks. Girl Don't Tell Me is a really nice song. I love the backing track and it is of course one of Carl's first lead vocals and he does a nice enough job, yet he is still nowhere near the lead vocalist he would become. Help Me Rhonda and California Girls are both great songs. Let him Run Wild is a splendid song despite what Brian himself thinks about his vocal. I really love the backing track especially, it really is beautiful. You're So Good To Me is another fine track with the unique backing vocals in the chorus. Summer Means New Love is a fine instrumental and although it isn't as good as "Lets Go Away For Awhile" it still is a real nice pretty tune. I know im in the minority here, but I quite like I'm Bugged At My Ol' Man... I mean it's just Brian having a bit of light-hearted fun. I mean as long as you don't take it seriously then I think it is funny. Of course its not a great song or anything but good for a laugh. The album closer And Your Dream Comes True is a fantastic end to what is all round a pretty fine album. The thing I like about this album is that most of the backing tracks are so different to each other which makes it really interesting to listen to.

I'd like to hear a backing track for Amusement Parks USA, without the vocals I reckon it would be like the sound of insanity.

It is possible from the Unsurpassed Masters Series... except it still has the dialogue in the middle of the song.. It is a pretty creepy backing track but I really like it. Probably better than the actual song.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2007, 05:16:41 AM by mikeyj » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx