gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:45:01 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)
5 - 61 (46.6%)
4 - 51 (38.9%)
3 - 18 (13.7%)
2 - 1 (0.8%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 121

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Summer Days (And Summer Nights!!)  (Read 70573 times)
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2007, 01:31:16 PM »

The Girl From New York City-Excellent uptempo rocker, always makes me want to dance and sing along

Amusement Parks USA-horrid lyrics, the concept of the song is really corny, but the backing track is great, Hal Blaine makes for a creepy carnival barker, as bad as the lyrics are, I do like the intensity that Mike sings with, especially when he sings "you'll crash and burn..."

Then I Kissed Her-never heard the original Spector version, like this one though. The drums sound intense on the stereo mix, but the guitars are kind of weak. Al turns in a great lead vocal, as always.

Salt Lake City-I like the backing track. The song is really catchy, no matter how lame the subject matter is (the BB's advertising Mormonism?Huh). If they weren't commissioned to do this by a tourism board or agency in Salt Lake City than I don't know why the hell they even recorded this song.

Help Me, Rhonda-Good song, though I like the version from Today! better, no matter what everyone else says.

California Girls-Brian's first LSD song. The stereo version kicks major ass. The bridge between the old surf/beach songs and the newer, progressive Beach Boys music. Pure bliss-this song is not long enough.

Girl Don't Tell Me-It might just be a "Ticket to Ride" ripoff, but its one of those Beatle ripoffs that sound better than the real thing, kind of like Oasis.

Let Him Run Wild-I don't care if Brian thinks he sounds like a girl here, I love his vocals on this song. Just as I've said for a couple other songs here, the stereo version is the one you want to hear. This is kind of like the sad counterpart to California Girls. I abso-fodaing-lutely love it.

You're So Good To Me-another great BB tune. I find myself singing this in the shower a lot. Has a surf sound to it but is not about surfing. Mike Love does the bass voice thing that he would provide a lot more of on Pet Sounds and SMiLE.

Summer Means New Love-first non-surf BB instrumental. Could easily fit on Pet Sounds right along with Let's Go Away For A While.

I'm Bugged At My Old Man-kind of a funny novelty song. I would dismiss it as a dumb little comedy track, but knowing what Murray put Brian and his brothers through, I can imagine that this song sprang from real emotion.

And Your Dream Comes True-nice harmonies, just as good as Their Hearts Were Full of Spring, but way too short-could've been developed into a full song.

The Little Girl I Once Knew-Awesomeness!

Sandy should have been on this album, imagine what it would've sounded like if were finished in 1965 before Brian's voice went south.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 01:07:40 PM by Alex » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »

I love the album and I'll give it 5/5, though I do think that Today and Pet Sounds were both better. I suppose this is the album(and Amusement Parks USA was the song) that made Brian want to try out other lyricists. Still even the two mediocre(IMO) songs--APUSA and Salt Lake City are very well produced. I wish it all could be in fresh stereo, but it's good the way it is.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2008, 12:24:17 AM »

I really hate Amusements Parks USA. I think its probably the worst Beach Boys song because its the only song in their catalog that gives me a headache and makes me feel dizzy and like I'm going to throw up when I listen. I'm not joking. It's not just a bad song, its an assault on your senses, a very unpleasant listening experience.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2008, 06:28:07 AM »

I love "Amusement Parks U.S.A.". From beginning to end, it might be one of the most manic, rockin', and wildest two minutes in Beach Boys' history. Love the lyrics - "the roll-ie coasters are flyin'", "take her on the twirl-away and spin her around", "watchin' girls in the air can really get you bad", "you'll crash and burn in the bumper cars", "but you'll do it with a girl standin' right by your side"..... Mike's shining hour. This is pure hedonism! Love the organ, especially when it all comes together with that "Palisades Park" ending. The only thing that's a little annoying is Brian's crazy laugh; he coulda left that out.

Let's take your car and mess around at the park all day!!!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2008, 06:50:42 AM »

I love Hal Blaine as the creepy carnival barker.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008, 07:41:44 AM »

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate the Amusement Parks USA song. I think the backing track is cool and all. The lyrics are not so bad. My problem is it is the song on the album that seems most nostalgic. Already at that stage, in my opinion, Mike was trying to milk the All Summer Long formula, and while the song is cool enough, there's the beginning of what I consider atter-period Beach Boys cynicism in it.
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2008, 08:12:24 AM »

I wouldn't go so far as to say I hate the Amusement Parks USA song. I think the backing track is cool and all. The lyrics are not so bad. My problem is it is the song on the album that seems most nostalgic. Already at that stage, in my opinion, Mike was trying to milk the All Summer Long formula, and while the song is cool enough, there's the beginning of what I consider atter-period Beach Boys cynicism in it.

I really have to disagree with you there. Trying to milk the All Summer Long formula? Huh You have to remember this was less than a year after the release of All Summer Long. So I wouldn't exactly call that nostalgic. I mean that's like saying "Surfin' USA" is just being nostalgic cause they are just milking the Surfin' Safari formula.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »

Haha. But they WERE trying to milk the Surfin' Safari formula with Surfin' USA. Somehow, despite the fact that it was milking that Surfin' thing AND ripping off Chuck Berry--it worked and rocked to the uttermost. Amusement Parks USA doesn't for me. Despite it's obvious invention. I don't know if Mike Love is actually to blame for doing what he does so well, yet I think it's Mike that is the weak point of that song, (though the melody seems a bit indistinct to me, as well, maybe that's not Mike's fault)specifically what I consider his contribution. And I do think it's because he was going for that Little Honda/All Summer Long formula a little too much.
It's maybe sacrilege, but I think he was in California Girls, as well. Somehow that works for me though.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 08:57:27 AM by lance » Logged
mikeyj
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2008, 09:18:30 AM »

Haha. But they WERE trying to milk the Surfin' Safari formula with Surfin' USA.

That may be true, but my point was that it isn't really "nostalgic". And I still wouldn't exactly call it "milking the All Summer Long formula". I mean musically speaking it is pretty different and the lyrics are just "Mike-type" lyrics. Just my opinion on the matter anyway
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 09:21:05 AM by mikeyj » Logged
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2008, 11:08:42 AM »

I see what you're saying. You're right, my choice of words is probably inaccurate.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2008, 11:33:25 PM »

Yeah, Mike was really milkin' that All Summer Long formula. The kids couldn't identify with "Dance, Dance, Dance" or "Help Me Rhonda" or any of that other beatnik acid burnout crap, so it was time for an Amusement Parks USA or two to bring the band back to that commercial peak. If it wasn't for him, Brian would've let the whole album turn into 12 tracks of Let Him Run Wild and You're So Good to Me and all that other anti-society hippy dippy collection of ego nonsense sounds.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2008, 11:35:56 PM »

OK, OK, I already said that I was wrong.

At any rate, though, there is something not quite fresh about that track, even though I listened to it last night and I actually thought it kicked ass. In fact, I would say that the first three tracks of that record are the worst ones...though the rest are brilliant. It's the lyrics that bug me. I still like them though.

This is all, of course In my humble opinion, upon which, of course, you are more than free to heap scorn.

My original comment stands.  This is the album that made Brian Wilson seek out new lyricists. I dont think that Mike wrote much of the lyrics to Let Him Run Wild or You're So Good to Me--those sound about 80 percent Brian to me, not that it matters or that any of us know exactly who imputted what. Whatevah, I still give the album five/five.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 11:42:33 PM by lance » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2008, 11:44:32 PM »

Sarcasm aside, I completely agree with you about Amusement Parks USA. I wouldn't call it "milking the ASL formula", but it is very, um, formulaic. Typical completely non-unique pre-Pet Sounds Beach Boys track.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Luke_Barshack
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008, 11:15:20 AM »

I wouldn't necessarily call the track 'feel good' or even 'formulaic'.

In my opinion, the music has a very strange, almost trippy quality to it - tumbling all over the place.  The pace is just slow enough to make you feel almost uneasy.  Of course, the lyrics are standard fare, but the back track itself sounds like a little experiment.

Perhaps it's only me that feels this way!
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2008, 12:04:19 PM »

4 out of 5 only because its' driven by a ton of singles (not that that's a bad thing) and a few duds

Let Him Run Wild
California Girls
Help Me, Rhonda
Salt Lake City
Then I Kissed Her
The Girl from NYC
And Your Dream Comes True
You're So Good to Me
Summer Means New Love
Girl Don't Tell Me
Amusement Parks U.S.A.
I'm Bugged at my Old Man
Poprocks
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »

A tad uneven at times, but I think I like the gems of this album better than the gems of Today.  4 stars.

Track picks:  California Girls (+++), Help Me Rhonda (+++), You're So Good To Me (+++), Let Him Run Wild (++), Summer Means New Love (++), And Your Dreams Come True (++), I'm Bugged At My Old Man (+).  Whew!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 10:34:48 PM by Poprocks » Logged
CarlsDarlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2009, 05:57:13 PM »

5.  One of my all-time favorite Beach Boys albums.
PrayForSurf
Smiley Smile Associate

Pray For Surf is blogged by Phil Miglioratti

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2009, 03:50:36 AM »

One of their Top 4-5 albums ... How good  might it have been if Brian had given it the intense focus that he gave to Pet Sounds and SMiLE ... at the time it seemed like Summer Days was a requirement he had to get out of the way; another "summer" album. A fabulous collection of tunes.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2009, 08:35:28 PM »

replace And Then I Kissed Her with Sherry and this album is a 5. As is I give it a 4.5; oh, it should've also opened with California Girls.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »

As great as some of these songs were, it amazes me that they were also using lyrics like "One more summer, and your dream comes true," and about how Salt Lake City's "got the grooviest kids" who "talk so cool."  This was the year of My Generation, Satisfaction, Help, Turn Turn Turn, etc.--sad that the Beach Boys were still stuck.

In any case, I get the sense that including Salt Lake City and And Your Dream Comes True on Stack of Trax was a realization of how ridiculously bad their lyrics were.
BennySahuaro
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2009, 04:17:23 PM »

As great as some of these songs were, it amazes me that they were also using lyrics like "One more summer, and your dream comes true," and about how Salt Lake City's "got the grooviest kids" who "talk so cool."  This was the year of My Generation, Satisfaction, Help, Turn Turn Turn, etc.--sad that the Beach Boys were still stuck.

In 1965 those lyrics weren't as lame as they may seem today. To a twelve year old each those songs was just as good as the other; they were all cool. Also, these were album tracks, the comparison with those other hugely succsessful songs is unfair.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2009, 09:07:30 PM »

In 1965 those lyrics weren't as lame as they may seem today. To a twelve year old each those songs was just as good as the other; they were all cool. Also, these were album tracks, the comparison with those other hugely succsessful songs is unfair.

Maybe the lyrics weren't AS lame then as now, but c'mon - look at the album tracks on the LPs by the Beatles, Stones, Dylan, Byrds, Who and others.  None of those groups put out anything even remotely resembling the cornball of SLC or AYDCT.  Things were changing fast, and the Beach Boys were very slow to catch on.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 04, 2009, 12:03:27 AM »

In any case, I get the sense that including Salt Lake City and And Your Dream Comes True on Stack of Trax was a realization of how ridiculously bad their lyrics were.
"And Your Dream Comes True" ain't on my copy of Stack-O-Tracks... probably because it's acapella. Maybe it's that minute of silence after the album ends but before I turn off the stereo...

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 04, 2009, 01:12:49 AM »

Why do fans even want the Beach Boys to be cool in a way the Beatles or the Rolling Stones were? Personally, I love all the cheese and supposed lameness and couldn't care less about the group not being cool.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2009, 11:21:09 AM »

"And Your Dream Comes True" ain't on my copy of Stack-O-Tracks... probably because it's acapella. Maybe it's that minute of silence after the album ends but before I turn off the stereo...

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's on the CD, but on the LP, it's a hidden track, and comes on right after the last listed track, Let Him Run Wild.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx