gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 07:05:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Anyone else...  (Read 12749 times)
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 11:31:56 PM »

The only official Live At Leeds release without any overdubs is the original six tracks version (LP or CD). However, the songs were edited on that one.

The expanded single CD release (from 1995) has a few overdubs, I think for example on A Quick One While He's Away.

The unedited bootleg is perfect. (I don't mind the crackling sound.).
Boxer Monkey
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2006, 11:58:46 PM »

(I don't mind the crackling sound.).

Holy sh*t!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 12:18:40 AM »

(I don't mind the crackling sound.).

Holy merda!

Well, since it is on the tape, I'd rather let it stay than digitally manipulate it.
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 01:11:14 AM »

I don't think Tommy is overrated at all. It's one of the best concept albums ever made and one of the best albums of the 1960's. The flow of the songs is perfect and the story is coherent. I fucking love it. It's okay if its not your cup of tea, but don't say that it's not good. It's a lot better than Sgt. Pepper.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 08:12:35 AM »

OVERDUBS on Leeds ? That didn't occur to me; I'm sure that the only thing live about EAGLES LIVE  is the title, and 4 Way Street (CSNY) coulda USED some "fixing", but Leeds? Is this a documented fact? Pete and I have two things in common (May 19th-he's 10years older, and Tinitus)...and I consider myself to be a Who fan, overdubs on Leeds is a bit of a shock...Got the tinitus the same way--tryin to be heard over the Drummer.They're so desperate for attention... I played drums for 10years before switching to gtr.; There are some silly people who say I'm still desperate for attention... (prone to long winded posts, etc.)

I know a lot and I know there's a lot I don't know
mark goddard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2006, 08:41:50 AM »

the overdubs on Leeds was on the original pressing , But not on the expanded deluxe version..right ? wrong ?
GP1138
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2006, 09:05:59 AM »

the overdubs on Leeds was on the original pressing , But not on the expanded deluxe version..right ? wrong ?

This new mix -- supervised by Pete Townshend (guitar/vocal) -- is an all-encompassing stereoscape which has never felt more intimidating. Although no mention is made in the information- and memorabilia-laden 28-page liner-notes booklet, vocalist Roger Daltrey performed several vocal overdubs during Tommy which are unique to this release. Although not impossible to locate, they blend surprisingly well with a recording that is fairly old.

Straight from AllMusic.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2006, 09:14:31 AM »

ooops-forgot about the backwards guitar on Magic Bus(original release)

cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2006, 09:54:42 AM »

Tommy was my introduction to The Who. I'd heard I Can See For Miles once or twice when it was briefly a would be hit single, but the rest was silence and popular obliviousness. The band had no AM radio profile whatsoever when Tommy rapidly built from word of mouth rumor to cult to monster-phenomenon and introduced them to  tons of kids like me born after their generation.

It blew my mind that there was another band as good as Beatles and Stones who'd been around just as long that we'd never even heard of. I had nothing to compare it to from their own past work, nowhere to pigeonhole it in a band-career still in mid-evolution. I just heard the  undeniable greatness of Townshend and mates, and was especially prejudiced in its favor because our music teacher a little later tried to put it down as naive pop in contrast to the 'truly musical' and great  Rock Opera that was Jesus Christ Superstar in his opinion!

Hearing what was predominantly a Townshend solo project fleshed out by the rest of the band skewed my sense of their identity just like first knowing 'classic Who' and then hearing Tommy does (see many comments above)

I liked the warm acoustic Pete-demo dimension and Daltrey's seraphic voice. Who's Next came as something of a shock  by comparison and forced a lot of adjustment and reorientation, prompting a lot of back catalogue Who-history reconstruction till I got the full quadrophenic measure of this unit. I prefer NEXT today, but it wastes practically all the competition, whoever's, so its not a particularly useful unit of measurement.

Tommy's it's own pulsing vibration, a headtrip, the lead character and Pete's. If you want to group it with other things, it's a an extension of prog-folk-voyage Rael on Sell Out, very much so, and also songs like Sunrise and I Can't Reach You and Tattoo from the same disc, in terms of acoustic textures, rich harmonies and strange melancholy, tender, sinister ditties     
« Last Edit: February 24, 2006, 10:01:09 AM by cabinessence » Logged
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2006, 10:26:23 AM »

Scooter and Zen, try reading mine and Andreas's posts next time.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2006, 10:27:29 AM »

No, I am pretty sure that the original release had no overdubs. It was heavily edited, but not overdubbed.
scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 02:31:19 PM »

Relax,  Ian, I DID read your posts; by "documented facts" I meant official sources, not other WHO fans; What it REALLY means is I should go back and listen to "YA-YAS" by the Stones, and LIVE RUST by Neil Young, although I already know about the fixed harmonies on THAT  one;

scooter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 02:59:41 PM »

P.S. what it might REALLY REALLY mean is my hearing is even worse than I thought...

Peace (and quiet)

wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2006, 03:13:44 PM »

Tommy:  I liked it a lot when I first heard it but the flaws are very apparent now...weak production (for the Who "sound" it had no power compared to Leeds)...dumb story...cant get into it... sorry...some great songs....would have been a great single LP with bonus tracks in 1995....excellent composing but just weaker than Quadrophenia and Who's Next...WN a bit overratted as well....and Who Are You is my favourite WHO song....

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2006, 05:38:03 PM »

Relax,  Ian, I DID read your posts; by "documented facts" I meant official sources, not other WHO fans; What it REALLY means is I should go back and listen to "YA-YAS" by the Stones, and LIVE RUST by Neil Young, although I already know about the fixed harmonies on THAT  one;

My facts are always official.

Do you understand the Tommy story, Wind?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
halleluwah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2006, 08:13:49 PM »

I've been thinking for quite some time that "Who's Next" would be a great subject for the Hayseed Dixie treatment.
Not that this has anything to do with the actual thread topic, but the cover of the most recent Hayseed Dixie album is actually my friend Julie's ass.  Really.

cabinessence
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2006, 09:09:58 PM »

"Touch Me, Feel Me..." is the connection I draw between the Who's masterwork and your friend's butt
theeponymuseudonym
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2006, 09:56:14 PM »

I LUST AFTER THE WHO SELLOUT!!!!!!
wind chime
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2006, 08:59:31 AM »

Do you understand the Tommy story, Wind?

I have read much about Tommy (in my WHO fanatic days) and I know about the messiah type story(Herman Hesse influences)  etc and it just never appealed to me...I always dug the music more than the story. Quad was a much more direct story line and I think it works better musically as well...of course Tommy was the blueprint for Quad too...Townshend almost called it "Jimmy"...

BTW Lamb Lies Down Fans, Peter Gabriel was surprised when he found out that The WHO had already created a song called "Rael" (the central character in TLLDOB) but the recordings were already finished on The Lamb album. No connection according the PG.

Watcher of the skies...watcher of all...
halleluwah
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2006, 08:12:23 PM »

"Touch Me, Feel Me..." is the connection I draw between the Who's masterwork and your friend's butt
Grin
GP1138
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2006, 03:23:25 PM »

You guys are right... the Isle of Wight performance is better than LAL... but it still is a "couple tracks" album for me. The story just doesn't connect.

I've been spoiled by Jethro Tull, I guess.  :D :D
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx