gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 06:02:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Myrna Smith - UPDATE - R.I.P.  (Read 8621 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2010, 04:23:35 AM »

I don't know if this belongs to the on topic board or to the off topic, so please move it if necessary. As you know, Myrna was Carl's partner on his two solo albums

I quote from an Elvis-message board:

Elvis Unlimited is proud to announce that our Back In Memphis concert will be a benefit concert for Myrna Smith of The Sweet Inspirations. Elvis Unlimited was the first to break the news of Myrna being hospitalized in London and then again in California where she presently is recovering.

We now can share some even more serious news about Myrna. She has suffered a stroke and is on dialysis. She will need long term care. Myrna has many medical bills and many more medical expenses are ahead due to severity of her condition. Therefore, Henrik & I have decided that proceeds from our show will go to Myrna to help relieve some of the stress of the medical bills. Right now, Myrna only needs to focus on getting better.

The show is during Elvis Week on August 12 at 8 PM at the Michael D. Rose Theater at the University Of Memphis. Reserved seats are 45.00 US Dollars and includes admission to the mini -convention and silent auction from 6 to 8 PM with special guests Barbara Hearn,Charles Stone, Sonny West, Sandi Pichon, Roben Jones & more.

We have spent the last month reorganizing this show to make this a complete success for Myrna. We have changed venues to a larger venue right in Memphis to accommodate more fans and lower ticket prices. We also will have a silent auction before the show at our mini convention from 6 to 8 PM for ticket holders only. All items will directly benefit Myrna. Come down to the University of Memphis for THE concert of Elvis Week! We promise you a great show and a chance to lend a helping hand to our Sweet Inspiration, Myrna Smith!

Let's show Myrna how much we love and support her! Let's all pull together and help Myrna just as Elvis would do! Let's show the world what the Elvis Family is all about - friendship and support!

Order your tickets today:
http://www.inticketing.com/evinfo.php?eventid=117072

VIP Tickets are available through us, email us at sales@elvispresley.dk for more information.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 06:52:54 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 04:44:24 AM »

Very sorry to hear that - Carl produced an unreleased album for her, and she was married to Jerry Schilling for a period.

I see Sonny West will be there. Hope he's wearing a Kevlar vest.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 05:32:01 AM »

Very sorry to hear that - Carl produced an unreleased album for her, and she was married to Jerry Schilling for a period.

Andrew, while we're at this topic, the '78 (or '79) album "Hot Butterfly" by the Sweet Inspirations had Carl thanked on the backcover. Do you know if he had anything to do with the album? Or why he was mentioned? This was before his solo carreer

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 05:47:36 AM »

Andrew, while we're at this topic, the '78 (or '79) album "Hot Butterfly" by the Sweet Inspirations had Carl thanked on the backcover. Do you know if he had anything to do with the album? Or why he was mentioned? This was before his solo carreer

Well, as far as I know he didn't actually contribute to it... but then, until literally 20 minutes ago I didn't know that Mike sang bvs on the B side of a 1984 UK Adrian Baker single. So...

Great thing about Carl guesting is, if he's there, you'll know it.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:29:10 AM »

well-I think Jerry was already getting friendly with the BBs in 1978 and he was married to Myrna then-so mayabe they thanked Carl as a friend-but let us know if he is on the album
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 10:13:41 AM »

well-I think Jerry was already getting friendly with the BBs in 1978 and he was married to Myrna then-so mayabe they thanked Carl as a friend-but let us know if he is on the album
Jerry was working for and traveling with the Beach Boys in '77.
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 11:01:18 AM »

Gosh, what sad news...  I'd posted this picture once before, but this is Myrna with Dennis & Carl, after Carl's show at The Roxy: 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 11:05:29 AM »

Well, he certainly isn't singing on the album in a noticeable way, but I thought he might've played guitar or keys. Unfortunately I don't have any credits.

Thanks Ed for that picture. Dennis looks good, and I like Carl's stage outfit. I saw some pictures from this appearance on the web

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2010, 11:34:52 AM »

Gosh, what sad news...  I'd posted this picture once before, but this is Myrna with Dennis & Carl, after Carl's show at The Roxy: 

Dennis looks... relaxed.  Beer

jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2010, 07:58:49 PM »

Thanks for the photo of Dennis, Carl, & Myrna.  What was the date of the picture?  1981?  I plan on attending the benefit in Memphis, so it should be pretty good. 
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 08:02:43 PM »

Has anyone heard the unreleased album, is it any good?  When did Carl produce it?  Did he write any of the songs on it?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2010, 08:03:08 PM »

Myrna seems to have taken quite a liking to dennis.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:17:01 PM »

I saw Carl with Myrnah at the Old Waldorf nightclub when he was promoting his 1st lp. She was a knockout!
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 10:24:30 AM »

Ironically, someone had just written to me that Carl played the Roxy on 4/23/81.
As for Myrna 'taking a liking to Dennis', anyone who knew or met him can tell you it was hard not to...
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 10:33:04 AM »

Myrna seems to have taken quite a liking to dennis.  Grin

Who wouldn't?

You think Dennis hit that?  Grin

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2010, 10:55:27 AM »

"The Wood" was undoubtedly polished that night.  Cool Guy

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
NHC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2010, 07:26:41 PM »

I saw Carl with Myrnah at the Old Waldorf nightclub when he was promoting his 1st lp. She was a knockout!

In San Francisco in '81?  That was one great show. 
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 08:03:30 AM »

Myrna Smiths Health Is Going Bad

June Moore, Katy Westmorelands assistent published this message on her facebook: This is just in from Myrna Smith's manager. Hey all. Bad news on Myrna Smith She has a taken a turn for the worse. Does not look good. Thanks to all who have had Myrna in their thoughts and prayers. Keep it up! And special thanks to all who have donated and done fundraisers for her. Will... try to keep you informed.

source:
http://elvisnews.com/news.aspx/myrna-smiths-health-is-going-bad/12881

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2010, 11:11:17 AM »

Well, it's looking very bad. Myrna probably won't live very long.
I took this adress form mentioned Elvis-message board. If you care to write her:

Canoga Oaks
22029 Saticoy St
Canoga Park, CA 91303
Myrna Smith, Room #403C

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2010, 06:54:05 AM »

Just heard the news that Myrna has passed away. Rest in peace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVlIFVJLP8I&feature=related

- Jack Rieley
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2010, 08:03:50 AM »

Sad news...

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »

sh*t....sorry to hear about this.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2010, 03:44:43 PM »

Sad to hear this, the lyrics she wrote for "Where I Belong," are enough to cement her reputation.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 25, 2010, 03:48:03 PM »

This is very sad news indeed....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2010, 05:19:56 PM »

Very sorry to hear this sad news. Cry