gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680871 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 10:56:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: In the Back of My Mind Backing Track?  (Read 6241 times)
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 01:53:13 AM »

how about Had To Phone Ya? i'd REALLY like to hear that one...

pretty please?

Perhaps Me?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Vega-Table Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2010, 09:54:27 AM »

has this existed for our consumption anywhere? Whenever i listen to the song I always strain to hear that backing music better. SO SO SO good.  i'm surprised it hasn't gotten the backing track released yet...unless it has? 

Pining Mega-hugely to hear this.
jackstar74
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2010, 10:07:20 AM »

Always felt that the backing track was unbelievable! One of Brian's greatest productions
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 03:50:04 PM »

What's the difference between openly trading "what would be called Bootlegs" and openly announcing you want a personal message and then posting you've received the "what would be called Bootlegs" recordings?

When you release a bootleg CD or record you make money by selling something that you don't legally own. So releasing a bootleg is threft and trading it is fencing. But when you send someone a digital file without expecting something in return, it isn't trading.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2010, 04:00:11 PM »

I have heard nearly all of Brian's Past Masters but not this and I would dearly love too.

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2010, 04:47:02 PM »

Can I please be sent this, before I Post Mark the entire internet in a futile search? Yeah... not very good, is it? I'm not good with these puns.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2010, 05:15:14 PM »

This is one of those instances where I don't need someone to send this to me because I have all of the UMs already! It is a phenomenal recording though, and although I like the lyrics it doesn't exactly need them, you know? It is monstrously awesome on its own in a way that I think even "California Girls" is not.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2010, 09:40:00 PM »

Bgas has a point. I was about to ask the same thing...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2010, 11:30:12 PM »

When you release a bootleg CD or record you make money by selling something that you don't legally own. So releasing a bootleg is theft and trading it is fencing. But when you send someone a digital file without expecting something in return, it isn't trading.

Oh yeah?  Cool.  I like that justification.  Did you make that up?

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2010, 03:26:31 AM »

It is indeed a fabulous piece of music, though just a hit heavy on the rhythm guitar for me.

I seem to remember that it was supposed to be a duet between Brian and Denis, but Denis couldn't get the timing right so did it on his own (and still didn't get it quite right). Brian couldn't sing it on his own because he was too close to the material (it would be like Lou Read singing After Hours - had to be Mo Tucker to stop it being soupy) but he wanted Denis because they were psychically in sync as tortured souls. That's my interpretation anyway...  Smiley

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »

It is indeed a fabulous piece of music, though just a hit heavy on the rhythm guitar for me.

I seem to remember that it was supposed to be a duet between Brian and Denis, but Denis couldn't get the timing right so did it on his own (and still didn't get it quite right). Brian couldn't sing it on his own because he was too close to the material (it would be like Lou Read singing After Hours - had to be Mo Tucker to stop it being soupy) but he wanted Denis because they were psychically in sync as tortured souls. That's my interpretation anyway...  Smiley
The vocal version works much better as a single tracked vocal...which I have somewhere, and is floating around in trading circles. The double-tracked vocal ruins DW's stark and intimate quality.
junkbondtrader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2010, 08:14:50 AM »

I would love to hear this anyone?
Paulos
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2010, 01:26:32 PM »

This may be one of Brian's best backing tracks, I'd never realised it was quite that good and it's made me appreciate the finished song all the more. I personally love Denny's vocals on ITBOMM for which I seem to be in the minority.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2010, 01:38:36 PM »

I like Denny's vocals too. Whether it is bad technique or whatever is irrelevant to me. It sounds like he is really feeling the insecurity of the lyrics and can relate -- that he's tentative about speaking something like this aloud because it'd jeopardise everything he's worked for in the relationship. I think it would have been interesting to hear Brian singing it, however, I think that brother john was right about this one too: "Brian couldn't sing it on his own because he was too close to the material". Whereas he sung the less-depressing and more love-affirming revised lyrics to "Please Let Me Wonder", this doesn't really get anywhere close to even 'tentatively secure' so I reckon Brian didn't want to (or couldn't?) get himself to sing it. (Which is odd considering he composed and sang "You Still Believe In Me" for Marilyn not very much later. Then again, it is a considerably happier song... of course, surely no one thought this song was about anything but Brian's painfully obvious insecurities? It dovetails nicely with the other awkward, insecure songs on the album though, as you'd expect it to do so.)
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2010, 04:10:27 PM »

Btw, did Brian really record a new version of this in the mid 70s? I think the Badman book says as much, but I dont see anything on AGD's site about it. Is it making the rounds? Whats the deal?

Yes.
No.
No one knows.
sockittome
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2010, 04:35:48 PM »

Could someone Pass Me the IBMM, down to this end of the table, please?  Thanks in advance!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2010, 05:32:19 PM »

Whereas he sung the less-depressing and more love-affirming revised lyrics to "Please Let Me Wonder"

Whoa, do we have the old lyrics to this one anywhere? Never knew this.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
18thofMay
Smiley Smile Associate

Goin to the beach

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2010, 05:48:22 PM »

What kind of Persuasive Measures do I have to go to..I want to hear this please!!

It’s like he hired a fashion consultant and told her to make him look “punchable.”
Some Guy, 2012
"Donald Trump makes Mike Love look like an asshole"
Me ,2015.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2010, 08:12:49 PM »

Whereas he sung the less-depressing and more love-affirming revised lyrics to "Please Let Me Wonder"

Whoa, do we have the old lyrics to this one anywhere? Never knew this.
I posted about 'em in the insignificant questions thread:

Another cutesy question:

I was listening to one of the SOT tapes for the Today! sessions and I was reminded that Mike Love had attempted to sing lead on "Please Let Me Wonder" complete with alternate lyrics! As I recall, Peter Ames Carlin (in Catch a Wave) suggested that the song was about Brian's worry that Marilyn was cheating on him. This surprised me because the lyrics in the released version did not seem to denote that so obviously. The alternate (original?) lyrics, however, I think do present such a picture:
Now here we are together
This would've been worth waiting forever
I always knew I'd feel this way

And please forgive my shaking
Can't you tell my heart is breaking
I'm so afraid of what you'll say

(Baby) Please let me wonder
(If I've been the one you love)
Please let me wonder
(If I'm who you're dreaming of)
Please let me wonder

I know this may be the wrong time
I've loved you such a long time
And just loving you won't make you stay

And somehow the truth doesn't matter
When I know my dreams could be shattered
So please don't say what you want to say

(Baby) Please let me wonder
(If I've been the one you love)
Please let me wnder
(If I'm who you're dreaming of)
Please let me wonder, love

Can anyone offer insights as to why the lyrics might have been changed? Unless, of course, it was purely a musical decision... though I can't help but feel the less-direct lyrics from the released version (and the change of perspective from what he thinks she is feeling to what he feels for her) is more an emotional decision than merely a musical one. Thoughts? Amateur psychologising? Ridicule?
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2010, 10:58:06 PM »

The vocal version works much better as a single tracked vocal...which I have somewhere, and is floating around in trading circles. The double-tracked vocal ruins DW's stark and intimate quality.

Actually, I found that version on youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_Q8gMdFgfU
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx