gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:18:35 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nooooooooo!!!  (Read 12476 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2010, 03:41:20 PM »

Bright Eyes sings "A Day In The Life Of A Tree"

Hay, don't diss Bright Eyes/put them in the same group as the others named.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »

That's the funniest part of this whole idea. There won't even be consensus on what would be bad about this would-be project. (About which, btw. I think we ought to take note, it's about the third idea we've heard floated from a Beach Boy / former Beach Boy, and the second from Mike. Will we see this rescinded by tomorrow? Or a statement on Brian's site? I think so.)

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »

Whoever made the point about what really makes this a bad idea is picking the artists on the basis of their of-the-moment fame rather than their timelessness was spot on.  Brian had his tribute concert that was widely praised because the choices of artists, song and performances were so spot on and right.  This kind of idea can work if that's the criteria.  But just by the names that were mentioned, I can tell this is solely about marquee value.

And so yeah, this is a BAD IDEA.  BAD IDEA.  BAD IDEA.  BAD IDEA.  Allow me to add my voice to the pile.
BBLB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2010, 05:38:08 PM »

Kayla Willliams singing Time to Get Alone with lush BVs supplied by the Beach Boys.  I'd go for that!

Grin

BBLB
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2010, 05:48:20 PM »

Kayla Willliams singing Time to Get Alone with lush BVs supplied by the Beach Boys.  I'd go for that!

Grin

BBLB

At this point, I think "lush" is probably the last word I'd use to describe the harmonies by (what's left of) the Beach Boys.  Replace that word with "croaky" and I think you're on the money.   Old Man

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2010, 06:07:26 PM »

Well everything has the possibility of being great or crap but I bet there are a buttload of artists who would jump at the chance. Anyone here turn it down if offered?

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2010, 07:00:18 PM »

Well everything has the possibility of being great or crap but I bet there are a buttload of artists who would jump at the chance. Anyone here turn it down if offered?

I know I wouldn't! But the fact it is being offered in the first place is ridiculous.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2010, 08:26:17 PM »

This is yet again another example that The Beach Boys themselves have always been willing to destroy their own career. If Justin Timberlake gets anywhere near GV, then I hope to god that Brian, Al, Carl's estate and Dennis's estate sue the sh*t out of Mike. If for no other reason than for him just being a dick. Plain and simple.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2010, 11:32:42 PM »

Timberlake can actually sing, though. That said...he would not do well on GV...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2010, 12:38:05 AM »

This morning, I was sat on the loo, and in my mind there was an endless replay going on of Mike's 'Rock 'n' Roll Hall Of Fame' induction speech.

I am absolutely certain that this had something to do with the idea put forward in this very thread.

I got constipated.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
MBE
« Reply #60 on: August 03, 2010, 02:04:21 AM »

I'd rather hear them work with contemporary artists than do anything else with country rejects...I despise country with flaming fury.

Sit this guy down and play him some Gram Parsons!

I should've been clearer..I despise *modern* country. Like anything from the past 20 years or so.
Ah now that I agree with. I like a lot of country from the late 40's to early 80's but as soon as all the Billy Ray's and Garth's showed up it wasn't the same.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 03, 2010, 08:04:38 AM »

There's still flashes of good stuff for me.  I like some of Martina McBride's early stuff.  I like a lot of Sara Evans stuff.  George Strait is still George Strait.  Reba McEntire is still really nice to look at, for an old woman.  She's putting 'em to shame. 

A few years ago there was some interesting stuff going on in country... the last couple of years it has REALLY gone down hill.  It's so damn formulaic (is that a word?) now.  It always was, but now it's really bad.

Pet Peeve: Anybody else notice how every song starts and ends with the same line now?  I HATE that!  The money must be good for all those songwriters to completely abandon their artistic merit Smiley

Few bright spots, for instance Jamey Johnson and the great  Bill Anderson writing "Give it Away" for George Strait a few years back.  That was greatness on every level, it was even greater when I saw Jamey Johnson sing it by himself.  In my opinion, and just my opinion, that song on every level reached the standard set by Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard and all those great singers and songwriters in the 60's and 70's.  Haven't heard anything that good in a while, though.

I blame it on people like Taylor Swift, and Big & Rich.  Taylor Swift and Big and Rich are both talented; but when they showed that normal, or out of bounds people could make it big in country, it opened the floodgates for all the NON-talented people to swing in and try.  So now you've got a whole handfull of fake cowboys who can't do much more than smile, singing songs somebody else wrote for them and wearing clothes somebody else picked out for them.  It's so damn fake.  Grrr.

I've never seen Taylor Swift fake anything.  It's not my kind of music, but she writes songs teenage chicks want to hear, who am I to discredit that.  For her market, she's very, very good at what she does, even if she can't sing that well.  I'd rather see a million taylor swifts than all of those fake pretending-to-be-cowboy acts that dominate the charts along with her now. 
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2010, 08:59:08 AM »

The Subject title of this thread does no contain enough o's and exclamation points to describe the way I feel about Dr. Love's idea.
Maybe if he brought in Hulk Hogan and Eric Bishoff to invigorate the BB franchise?

Cook pork throughly
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 03, 2010, 08:59:40 AM »

There's still flashes of good stuff for me.  I like some of Martina McBride's early stuff.  I like a lot of Sara Evans stuff.  George Strait is still George Strait.  Reba McEntire is still really nice to look at, for an old woman.  She's putting 'em to shame. 

A few years ago there was some interesting stuff going on in country... the last couple of years it has REALLY gone down hill.  It's so damn formulaic (is that a word?) now.  It always was, but now it's really bad.

I have that feeling for at least 15 years.
I absolutely love country music, in fact I would describe myself as a country musician more than anything else. But I stick to the great stuff and there's alot of it thankfully. Unfortunately the Beach Boys couldn't get artists of that caliber, except for Willie and Tammy Wynette

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 03, 2010, 09:37:25 AM »

You gotta admit, that Oberst guy was born to portray a sad tree. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2010, 10:38:50 AM »

Idk why they didn't get Johnny Cash for Stars and Stripes? Maybe cause Brian dislikes his voice?

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 03, 2010, 10:45:02 AM »

Does this or does this not preclude the possibly of a reunion tour? I mean, so long as that happens, they could have Justin Bieber do a solo multitrack rendition of "Our Prayer" for all I care.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 03, 2010, 11:18:58 AM »

Idk why they didn't get Johnny Cash for Stars and Stripes? Maybe cause Brian dislikes his voice?

I remember seeing an interview around the time of the Christmas solo album a few years back. After a couple of minutes of asking Brian about "All I Want For Christmas" the interviewer suddenly very much out of the blue asked Brian if he liked Johnny Cash. "NO" roared Brian instantly before going on to say how much he dislikes "I Walk The Line".

Also I know everybody regards JC as country but to my ears all his stuff from the Sun era, which is what most people know him for is pure rockabilly.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 03, 2010, 11:28:43 AM »

I remember seeing an interview around the time of the Christmas solo album a few years back. After a couple of minutes of asking Brian about "All I Want For Christmas" the interviewer suddenly very much out of the blue asked Brian if he liked Johnny Cash. "NO" roared Brian instantly before going on to say how much he dislikes "I Walk The Line".

Also I know everybody regards JC as country but to my ears all his stuff from the Sun era, which is what most people know him for is pure rockabilly.

I too remember seeing an interview where the reporter asked Brian if he liked Johnny Cash and yep, Brian was like 'Heck no, terrible, terrible voice!'...

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 03, 2010, 12:01:51 PM »

Why don't they try Sean O'Hagan again? Wayne Coyne? Lindsay Buckingham? Thurston Moore? Tom Petty? Elton John? Macca? Dylan? Flo and Eddie (The Turtles)? Matthew Sweet? Springsteen? Steven Page (ex-Barenaked Ladies singer)? Jim and William Reid (J&M Chain)?  Kevin Shields (MBV)? Adam Marsland? The Fendertones?  Huh Huh Huh

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2010, 01:22:27 PM »

The Reids and The Beach Boys would be absolute chaos!

That's really weird about Johnny Cash, but i guess Brian has never really seemed into country.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2010, 02:07:13 PM »

The Reids and The Beach Boys would be absolute chaos!

That's really weird about Johnny Cash, but i guess Brian has never really seemed into country.

Probably not too much, but Brian has some country roots. Marty Robbins (compare El paso with H&V) for example. And for some reason Brian appeared in Cash's posthum video of "God's gonna cut you down".  

I said it once and I say it again, "Let the wind blow" is THE perfect song for Cash and I can hear him singing it in my head. But unfortunately that will never happen. See the Stars&Stripes-teview thread on this board to see a list of country greats (the really big ones) and what I'd love to have heard them sing on vol.1 that I posted. Just imagine George Jones on GOK

I was trying to put the idea of Jerry Lee Lewis doing "Got to know the woman" to his daugther on facebook, but I haven't heard from her
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 02:09:11 PM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 03, 2010, 02:15:20 PM »

Maybe he didn't like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB09cky5Cek
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »

Maybe Brian doesn't like Key changes.  "I Walk The Line" changes key like 6 times or something. 
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2010, 12:25:08 AM »

Maybe Brian doesn't like Key changes.  "I Walk The Line" changes key like 6 times or something. 

LOL absolutely brilliant...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx