gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680806 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 09:03:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nooooooooo!!!  (Read 12486 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 01, 2010, 05:35:21 PM »

Nothing learnt from Stars and Stripes?

http://www.thestamfordtimes.com/story/489691

Love understands that the reunion would be big news. Looking ahead, Love says the group is also making plans to record some Beach Boys classics with some of the top contemporary artists.

"There are a lot of people I would like to work with and we are thinking about starting a new project next year to coincide with our 50th, and talking with Justin Timberlake for 'Good Vibrations" and Kenny Chesney for 'Kokomo,' and we are just starting to get in touch with people now," Love says. "We want to match up the artist with the proper Beach Boys song."

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2010, 05:36:55 PM »

I'd rather hear them work with contemporary artists than do anything else with country rejects...I despise country with flaming fury.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 06:02:31 PM »

I'm definitely a bit leery of this after Stars and Stripes, but there were a couple decent tracks to come out of those sessions, so who knows?  The bigger worry I have is that I don't like the idea of the arrangements and overall "sound" of BB songs being modernized.  Re-arranging a song for a country setting can be done quite tastefully, but anything in the modern pop vein frightens me greatly.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 06:06:12 PM »

i'd take a big ol pass on that.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 06:07:38 PM »

Screw this noise.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 06:15:14 PM »

These things just don't seem to hold up over time is one of the problems, cause no one cares that Justin Timberlake guested once on a version of Good Vibes 5 yrs later.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 06:15:39 PM »

First of all, do the other members even know about these "plans"?

I can just hear Justin and Mike yukking it up on a "comedy track."
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 06:16:46 PM »

Oh sweet jesus.

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »

Sad Christ on a cracker, NO.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 06:30:35 PM »

Is anyone THAT surprised?? Right down  Myke Luv's road of stale cheese, jokes and hats. Shocked
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2010, 06:52:42 PM »

I really hope people in Love's camp read some of these responses....they are SPOT on.

What a travesty. Beach Boys music IS Beach Boys music - getting Justin Timberlake to ruin Good Vibrations wouldn't be a great 50th anniversary present to the fans....I really enjoy Timberlake's voice and maybe the GV remake won't be as bad as I think - But come on, leave the classics alone.

However, I don't mind the remake of 'Kokomo'. I can't stand Kenny Chesney or Kokomo - put the two together and it will show the world how extremely bad both are.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 07:10:55 PM »

A good song is a good song.  I for one would think it a great testament to the durability of the catalog that modern artists would be interested in putting their spin on it.  Maybe some of the version will be bad, but I'd rather have the songs out there and have the option of not listening to them than have the Beach Boys catalog linger in obscurity.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 07:11:44 PM »

Well that's a fully stupid idea. My ideal version of the BB is arty and very creative, not cheesy and desperately commercial.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »

If this is truly what Mike has in mind, keep Brian the heck away from it.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »

I think it's just a natural extension of a fact that flies in the face of TdHabib's (admittedly ideal) Beach Boys: they've almost always been desperately commercial and, unfortunately over the bulk of my lifetime, cheesy. The best part about such a project is that it would truly be commercially and culturally irrelevant, so it's not worth worrying about.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2010, 07:29:07 PM »

This is a woefully retarded idea. The damn Beach Boys are too good for these schlubs, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

How about releasing some of the days' worth of unreleased songs and outtakes to make a great record proving once and for all that they are the kings of rock n' roll- not pimping their music for cheap thrills.

This sucks hard-core. WTF. At least we have BWRG. Brian Wilson, if you read this, please do not participate in the aforementioned idea of collaborating with these performers. Call me up, and I will give you better ideas than this.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 07:43:40 PM »

This is a woefully retarded idea. The damn Beach Boys are too good for these schlubs, they shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath.

How about releasing some of the days' worth of unreleased songs and outtakes to make a great record proving once and for all that they are the kings of rock n' roll- not pimping their music for cheap thrills.

This sucks hard-core. WTF. At least we have BWRG. Brian Wilson, if you read this, please do not participate in the aforementioned idea of collaborating with these performers. Call me up, and I will give you better ideas than this.

Totally agree. Brian has been hard at work making something truly original for his fans and the world, and Love, as usual, is finding the cheapest way to make a buck.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 08:01:50 PM »

I think they should call their 50th anniverary album Better Than the Beatles, or We Rock, Everyone Else Sucks, and it should include all the best merda from Thank Him to Rollin' Up to Heaven, SMiLE!, Song of the Whale, and all their best live music that makes the Rolling Stones sound like a buch of drunk high schoolers playing blues riffs in a talent show.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 10:31:50 PM »

Now BW should most definitely steer clear of this and pursue his solo career. If Mike Love doesn't mind embarrassing himself, at least let him do it on his own.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 10:32:52 PM »

A good song is a good song.  I for one would think it a great testament to the durability of the catalog that modern artists would be interested in putting their spin on it.  Maybe some of the version will be bad, but I'd rather have the songs out there and have the option of not listening to them than have the Beach Boys catalog linger in obscurity.

I agree 1 million percent.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2010, 11:22:11 PM »

I hate remakes of any sort. I am not a fan of anyone popular today or in the last twenty-thirty years really. I am a Beach Boys fan partially because I think the music from the early 50's to the early 70's is the best ever recorded. I would say that about rock, blues, folk, country, gospel, you name it.  In short I think this is a horrid idea that would be a waste of money and time. Mike (even now)  can do better why he often doesn't try to is a puzzle.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2010, 11:58:02 PM »

It is not welcome news, but not particularly unsurprising.

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 02:03:55 AM »

It is horrific. It is worse than watching 'Hostel III' and 'Saw IV' in tandem, whilst someone is threatening to castrate you with a chainsaw.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 02:11:31 AM »

Totally agree. Brian has been hard at work making something truly original for his fans and the world, and Love, as usual, is finding the cheapest way to make a buck.

Innovative, I'll give you... but original ?  Think the Gershwin Estate might dispute that slightly.  Grin

Anyhoo, Mike had exactly the same idea for the 25th anniversary, and that happened, didn't it ?  Roll Eyes

And as generally tepid as Stars & Stripes was, it gave us the outstanding Willie Nelson & Tim Schmit covers, not to mention some priceless video footage of the band not only doing what they do best, but genuinely enjoying each other's company.

And Lorrie Morgan & Kathy Troccoli.  Grin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 02:16:57 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 03:17:09 AM »

A good song is a good song.  I for one would think it a great testament to the durability of the catalog that modern artists would be interested in putting their spin on it.  Maybe some of the version will be bad, but I'd rather have the songs out there and have the option of not listening to them than have the Beach Boys catalog linger in obscurity.

A good song is a good song as long as it sounds the way it was initially intended.

Re: the songs' durability, I'd rather see another hits comp at the top of the charts instead of being exposed to Snoop Dogg having a go at "Little Deuce Coupe".  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx