gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 12:03:04 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Reimagines Gershwin  (Read 107509 times)
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #300 on: August 11, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »

i wouldn't call it soft rock. minus the new songs.  they keep the vibe of the original compositions, but then almost throw em into the doo-wop era. which i love. particularly "i've got a crush on you".  can't wait for this to come out.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2010, 04:15:53 AM »

The unexpected thing for me - from the shards, snippets and odd songs I have heard - the (re?) emergence of Brian Wilson as a white soul singer, with a kind of semi-falsetto soul voice, at the age of 68. I guess all this touring - it has done something? Rebuilt his voice? Is it possible?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 12, 2010, 04:28:53 AM »

The unexpected thing for me - from the shards, snippets and odd songs I have heard - the (re?) emergence of Brian Wilson as a white soul singer, with a kind of semi-falsetto soul voice, at the age of 68. I guess all this touring - it has done something? Rebuilt his voice? Is it possible?

It is very well possible. See: in all concert halls, there are bacteriae and microbes (= tiny little animals with bad intentions) floating in the air. But the human body has a great defence system against these lifeforms: it builds up its immune system (= sort of a SDI thing) to ward off or destroy the suckers. This also happens in the area of the tonsils (= flesh bulbs) and glottys (= where the vocal cords are located, well, almost).
The result then is that by kicking and tearing apart of the small aliens, a callous (= shield-like) formation is made, that fortifies the voice, and makes it more expressive (= soulful).

Dr. Don

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Too Much Sugar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 12, 2010, 05:12:21 AM »

A bit of a trivial question, but curious: so I bit on the $59.99 package of BWRG (autographed LP, etc.) and as I received my downloads of "The Like In I Love You" and "They Can't Take That Away From Me," they were sent as 320kbp MP3 files.  However, on the website, I was under the impression that you had the option between that and FLAC versions, the latter I was hoping for.  I was just curious if anyone else got the MP3 files too.  It's not really a big deal, since I'm getting the CD with it, but was just wondering if there were others. 
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 12, 2010, 07:50:46 AM »

i'm curious to what allmusic is gonna give this.  They haven't always had much proclivity to brian/beach boys.  So we'll see.  even though srsly it's like every beatles album gets 5 stars by them.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 12, 2010, 08:12:05 AM »

I don't know how much I can get behind a Brian Wilson album that doesn't include fat Moog synth bass and a steal of "Shortenin' Bread"! LOL
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 12, 2010, 08:22:04 AM »

A bit of a trivial question, but curious: so I bit on the $59.99 package of BWRG (autographed LP, etc.) and as I received my downloads of "The Like In I Love You" and "They Can't Take That Away From Me," they were sent as 320kbp MP3 files.  However, on the website, I was under the impression that you had the option between that and FLAC versions, the latter I was hoping for.  I was just curious if anyone else got the MP3 files too.  It's not really a big deal, since I'm getting the CD with it, but was just wondering if there were others. 

Yeah, you're right.  On the home page it says that you can get these downloads as mp3s or FLAC, but when you click on a package it says mp3 only, and if you click on 'show contents', it makes no mention of FLAC.  Hmmm.  In addition, it appears that the Exclusive package (the one with the '1 of 200' autographed LPs) is already sold out.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:42 AM »

Just got an e-mail from Brian Wilson:

"Be one of only 300 people to purchase a limited and NUMBERED copy of the new album on vinyl!"

1. Numbered vinyl album of Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin
2. Instantly download "Can't Take That Away From Me" in high quality Mp3 or FLAC audio
3. Physical CD of Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin
4. Full Digital download of Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin on Aug 17th

So I guess this offering is different than the 200 autographed vinyl albums that were just made available?

What's next?  BWRG limited edition CD's w/black velvet slip case, jackets, shirts, kites, frisbees, coffee mugs, key chains, 4x4 posters, buttons, leaflets, bumper stickers, promo bio w/8x10 glossy ........glow in the dark condoms........

The Brian Wilson Reimagines Gerschwin marketing machine is in full force now!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:14:21 AM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 12, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »

Yeah, because they're really getting rich making an extra 20 bucks off of 200 people.  Hell, that's like 4 grand! Brian could pay his power bill this month with that.

The only reason they release these little bullshit special packages is because the die hard fans want something special, to prove they're a die hard fan.  Nobody's making a fortune off this stuff.  It's actually a GOOD gesture, not a money making grab. 
Wylson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 12, 2010, 02:30:10 PM »

Has really grown on me...

Favourite bits:
- The fact that you can hear Brian as part of the "answer" vocal on They Can't Take That Away From Me
- The vocal on Someone to Watch Over Me
- Crooning vocal on Love is Here to Stay

Okay, officially blown away by the album now.

Sadly my other half is not impressed, she only likes 'S'Wonderful' because "it sounds a bit like The Sims".
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 12, 2010, 02:47:17 PM »

- The fact that you can hear Brian as part of the "answer" vocal on They Can't Take That Away From Me

Yes! He seems to be making a joke in the "the way we danced til three" part by singing it in a really tired / drunk voice.

I think what's most interesting about this album is that Brian's fundamental voice -- the tone, general pitch, etc. -- hasn't changed that much. But the way he's using it on ballads is almost entirely different. You first heard it on the "Midnight's Another Day" demo and a couple of tracks on the TLOS album. He's phrasing in an intelligent, controlled way, and he's not pushing. He's also not pushing the limits of his range.
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2010, 03:06:11 PM »

I can't help but wonder what George Gershwin would have thought of this album. I know that his contemporary, Irving Berlin, was very conservative, HATED rock and roll and scorned anything modern. But I believe that if Gershwin had survived into the R&R era, he would have been more open minded. Not that I know a whole lot about him, but he did like to explore new avenues of music.
SG7
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:00 PM »

I am definitely impressed by this new album. Knowing how much Brian loved Gershwin, I had a feeling it would be something worthwhile. My favorite tracks have to be Plenty of Nuttin', The Like in I Love You, and Someone to Watch Over Me. It just sounds like he is having a good time on this. I didn't quite feel that way when TLOS came out, but this shows some serious enthusiasm on Brian's part.
Bill Ed
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »

Although, the one thing I have noticed is that he always does a much better job when interviewed by a younger, attractive woman. Cheesy

Is this a good example of what you're talking about?

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=42599209
Bill Ed
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2010, 05:41:00 PM »

It seems the link I posted doesn't work. Well, here it is again. If this doesn't work, try googling "Brian Wilson Zooey".

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 12, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »

Thank goodness I got the autograph package when I did. Sold out in a day  Shocked
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 12, 2010, 07:32:27 PM »

Thank goodness I got the autograph package when I did. Sold out in a day  Shocked

Ahh you got one.

Missed out myself because of the international shipping deal and I didn't get paid till today..

Heartbroken  Undecided

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 12, 2010, 09:20:38 PM »

It seems the link I posted doesn't work. Well, here it is again. If this doesn't work, try googling "Brian Wilson Zooey".

I like how when he first tries hitting on her, he tells her he saw the Beatles.  She seems genuinely pleased and interested.  He then tries to tell her he saw Andy Williams.  She doesn't seem quite as thrilled about that one.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 13, 2010, 03:36:02 AM »

I like how when he first tries hitting on her, he tells her he saw the Beatles.  She seems genuinely pleased and interested.  He then tries to tell her he saw Andy Williams.  She doesn't seem quite as thrilled about that one.

Thanks for posting - I've never seen this.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 13, 2010, 09:16:31 AM »

Wow this album certainly sounds great on headphones! It's really beautifully put together.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 13, 2010, 12:31:25 PM »

Brian on the "Ron and Fez" satellite radio show. Some interesting -- and very BW -- nuggets.

On "It Ain't Necessarily So"

"I think of all the songs they wrote, they was the most uncertain lyric. The lyrics didn't seem like it was going anywhere. Like, 'Little David was small but oh my,' 'Moses was found in a stream.' That doesn't sound like George Gershwin. That's the only song I've heard them do that I didn't like."

On the music industry:

"I feel connected, but I feel disconnected because the industry has DIED. And it's very hard to come by a melody. It's very hard to get a melody because you go, for what? For who? Where? Why? Who's going to buy it? There's no market.

On the continued success of BB/BW music:

"It's a thrill, but there's an air of paranoia. I can't go somewhere without someone saying, 'Hey, can I have your autograph?' Which is -- where are you from? What's going on here?"
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 13, 2010, 01:35:12 PM »

New article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/arts/music/please-report-for-duty-brian-wilson/article1672217/
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 13, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »

On the continued success of BB/BW music:

"It's a thrill, but there's an air of paranoia. I can't go somewhere without someone saying, 'Hey, can I have your autograph?' Which is -- where are you from? What's going on here?"

I don't understand what he's saying here.  "Where are you from?" "What's going on here?"  Is he complaining that he doesn't like or he wonders why people approach him for autographs?

And:

"It's very hard to get a melody because you go, for what? For who? Where? Why? Who's going to buy it? There's no market."  I can understand his reasoning, but then what motivates him to keep writing and recording?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:24:38 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 13, 2010, 01:54:39 PM »

When you hear the autograph bit, it's like he's asking the autograph seeker those questions. Who are you and why do you want my autograph? That sort of thing.

As for the industry, I think he's kind of explaining why the industry is seeking cover albums. It's not that interested in / doesn't know how to sell new music from veteran artists like him. So folks turn to the past.
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 13, 2010, 02:41:41 PM »

Yeah, I kinda figured that about the autograph thing. But after all the autographs he's signed the past 50 years, I mean does he ask himself the same questions when he signs them? Kinda weird. I know he feels honored, but still. Must be the Librium talking......or whatever medication he's on (half joking). When he has signed stuff for me through the years, I don't think he thought that about me. I don't think.  No way I coulda read his mind though!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 17 18 ... 26 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx