gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:15:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wikipedia and other sources....  (Read 3266 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 27, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »

Alright, so I've been reading a few things recently, and I brought some up before to no avail, so maybe we'll find out this time.

First, I noticed on the BB wikipedia page for "Hey Little Tomboy" was "written for an untitled project in 1974"? Where the hell did anybody get that info? I've never heard anything of the sort (and yes, thats the question I asked before).

The last 2 are for AGD. I noticed in the "Ding Dang" section in your book, it says it was recorded in 1973? Does that just mean the backing track or the vocals and the whole deal? Cuz in '74 they did the "other" version of it. I always took "Ding Dang" to be something he worked on for a while, but never got the released version recorded until the Love You Sessions. I could be totally wrong though.

And then lastly for Andrew, I noticed your page says the "Winter Symphony" track was recorded in 1974. Is that true? Its not listed on the "shows and sessions" section, but I'm sure theres a few things here and there we don't know for sure. Do you have any idea when this may have been done, or for what purpose?

Anyways Andrew, I thank you for your work, and I just wanted to clarify.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 12:44:23 AM »

Alright, so I've been reading a few things recently, and I brought some up before to no avail, so maybe we'll find out this time.

First, I noticed on the BB wikipedia page for "Hey Little Tomboy" was "written for an untitled project in 1974"? Where the hell did anybody get that info? I've never heard anything of the sort (and yes, thats the question I asked before).

The last 2 are for AGD. I noticed in the "Ding Dang" section in your book, it says it was recorded in 1973? Does that just mean the backing track or the vocals and the whole deal? Cuz in '74 they did the "other" version of it. I always took "Ding Dang" to be something he worked on for a while, but never got the released version recorded until the Love You Sessions. I could be totally wrong though.

And then lastly for Andrew, I noticed your page says the "Winter Symphony" track was recorded in 1974. Is that true? Its not listed on the "shows and sessions" section, but I'm sure theres a few things here and there we don't know for sure. Do you have any idea when this may have been done, or for what purpose?

Anyways Andrew, I thank you for your work, and I just wanted to clarify.

"Tomboy" - never heard that before.

"Ding Dang" - the 1973 version was the jam with McGuinn. The 1974 version was/is the legendary "Hard Time (Rubbin' In The Tub)".  Grin

"Symphony" - Brian cut the basic track at Brother 1974, maybe 1975. I'm guessing it was just something to do.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 01:12:37 AM »

I didn't know the McGuinn jam was recorded. Interesting...

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 12:41:07 PM »

But wait, so when is the officially released "Ding Dang" from? The Love You sessions?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 01:32:12 PM »

But wait, so when is the officially released "Ding Dang" from? The Love You sessions?

I've always been given to understand it was the 1973 recording.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bluesno1fann
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2014, 04:41:15 AM »

Sorry for bumping this thread. Didn't think what I had to post was significant enough to warrant it's own thread. Since this is Wikipedia related, I figured this was the right spot to post this.

Currently, on the Beach Boys template for Wikipedia, there are two separate lines where the band members are listed. On the top line (which is bolded), the members included are Al Jardine/Mike Love/Brian Wilson/Carl Wilson/Dennis Wilson. Below that, there's a line with the members included being Blondie Chaplin/Ricky Fataar/Bruce Johnston/David Marks.

Do you guys think at least Bruce Johnston deserves to be added to the top line? He has been an official member since 1965, that's 49 years (minus the 7 when he left the band - from 1972-1978), appeared on their most critically acclaimed and iconic work (Summer Days, Pet Sounds, SMiLE and the singles from that time. Not to mention their acclaimed but less-remembered Sunflower and Surf's Up). Then there's the argument of consistency. Aside from Mike Love, every member's been inconsistent to some extent. Although Bruce did leave once for seven years, he can otherwise be seen as the most consistent besides Love. Legally, Johnston may have sold his BMI shares when he left the band, but so did Dennis Wilson's estate following his death. Going by the legal side, we can also say that Marks was a member until 1967! At the end I think at least the legal side shouldn't matter as much.

What do you guys think? It'd be interesting to hear your opinion on this issue.
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »

« Last Edit: June 17, 2015, 01:22:13 PM by Sjöman » Logged
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »

Absolutely Bruce and Dave should be on the first line, bolded line, whatever. Not counting them as "core" members is a joke. Dave is on the monument because the Wilson family considers him a founder., as Brian once said to me..."he was there before there was a there"... and was in the band when they went from local garage band to the biggest rock band in America, he's on a bunch of their iconic hits. Bruce as stated above was on the classic Summer Days/Pet Sounds and Sunflower era releases, and his tenure with the band spans nearly everything other than the '61 through '64 stuff.  I think anyone who understands the Beach Boys knows there are seven "core" Beach Boys or in a way "original" Beach Boys. Blondie and Ricky were fantastic, and are the only other people that can be considered "official" Beach Boys, but I can see separating them from the other 7 due to the relatively limited scope and perhaps less than iconic result of their tenure. I mean i love Holland, but it doesn't have the historical weight of Surfin USA or Pet Sounds, which are both definitive in the history of rock music.
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 04:35:44 PM »

The template on Wikipedia divides the group by founders and alternating members, not 'core' members and 'not core' members.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2014, 05:03:25 PM »

The template on Wikipedia divides the group by founders and alternating members, not 'core' members and 'not core' members.
That caveat must be Beach Boys specific, Ringo was not a founding member of the Beatles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:The_Beatles
puni puni
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2014, 05:15:56 PM »

Right.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2014, 06:12:54 PM »

Other bands do surviving/current members and dead/inactive members. Personally, I'd sort it as Brian/Mike/Al/Dave/Bruce and Dennis/Carl/Ricky/Blondie.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2014, 09:42:37 PM »

Other bands do surviving/current members and dead/inactive members. Personally, I'd sort it as Brian/Mike/Al/Dave/Bruce and Dennis/Carl/Ricky/Blondie.

I believe that was done around the time of the 2012 reunion, but it has since been reverted on the template (at least. It remains this was on the main members section on their actual Wikipedia page).

That caveat must be Beach Boys specific, Ringo was not a founding member of the Beatles. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:The_Beatles

There is an (albeit small) discussion going on regarding all this on the Beach Boys template talk page. If you want you can get involved it and give your opinion on the whole matter. Anyone can on that, you apparently don't have to sign up.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2014, 09:46:43 PM by BAmBU Dennis » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx