gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:43:44 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Ode to Betty Joe"  (Read 4455 times)
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2006, 04:51:50 PM »

What on earth is this?
Who is singing?

Does anyone have any details?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 04:55:53 PM »

It's the Pickle Brothers, I'm pretty sure.  "Mike's Redwood," if you will.  A potential outside production for Brother records.
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 04:57:43 PM »

Is that the same with "It's Time"?
Is this stuff serious?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 05:00:48 PM »

They were some kind of comedy group.  So no, not really serious.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 06:20:22 PM »

I rather enjoy "It's Time".  Reminds me a bit of the Loaded era VU for some weird reason.

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 09:17:43 PM »

Betty Joe is a parody of Bobbie Gentry's classic Ode To Billie Joe.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 03:40:49 AM »

Mike produced that stuff, right?  So why wouldn't he let Brian doing Redwood?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 03:46:34 AM »

The issue was that Redwood wanted to be doing LPs, but they were only going to be signed to produce singles.  Redwood wasn't willing to just be a singles band, so they left Brother.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 04:00:23 AM »

I think The Pickle Brothers used to open for the BB back in the day.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 04:12:08 AM »

The issue was that Redwood wanted to be doing LPs, but they were only going to be signed to produce singles.  Redwood wasn't willing to just be a singles band, so they left Brother.

Ah, okay. Thank you. I wonder how the story might have been if the plan with producing outside would have happened in a big way....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 11:58:31 AM »

Two questions:

Why was it okay for Brian to produce a spoken word album for Steve Kalinich, but not an album for Redwood?  Wouldn't the Redwood album have had a better chance of moving units than a poetry album by a relative unknown?

Okay, one more question!

Does anybody know anything about this version of "Let the Wind Blow" with lead vocal by "Amy"?

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
Jason
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 12:01:12 PM »

Probably because the Beach Boys heard the Kalinich album (it sucks) and the Redwood material was halfway decent, even good.

Let the Wind Blow (Amy vocal) is a rare track that I'm doing my best to get out. I posted it back at the old Smile Shop. "Amy" was a woman Bruce had met and wanted to sign to Brother Records, hence the recording. Nothing came of it.
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 09:58:19 PM »

Probably because the Beach Boys heard the Kalinich album (it sucks) and the Redwood material was halfway decent, even good.

I think I would enjoy Stevie's album if "America I Know You" is any indication.  I admire the guy, and anything Brian was involved in 1968 is of extreme interest to me.

SUICIDE
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2006, 07:23:52 AM »

Two questions:

Why was it okay for Brian to produce a spoken word album for Steve Kalinich, but not an album for Redwood?  Wouldn't the Redwood album have had a better chance of moving units than a poetry album by a relative unknown?

Because Brian was giving "Darling" to Redwood, a Beach Boys top 20. Those kind of chart appearances were getting rare those days. Seriously, a Darling-less Wild Honey and a Redwwod Darling single would both bomb horribly in the charts. As things happened, Wild Honey only bombed moderately and Three Dog Night moved on to sell gazillions of records.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx