gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:42:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Youngblood (CW solo)
5 - 6 (12.8%)
4 - 7 (14.9%)
3 - 17 (36.2%)
2 - 13 (27.7%)
1 - 3 (6.4%)
0 - 1 (2.1%)
Total Voters: 40

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Youngblood (Carl Wilson)  (Read 33991 times)
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2010, 06:36:56 AM »

I feel like saying "it's not as bad as Looking Back With Love" is equivalent to going "well, the album isn't as bad as Summer In Paradise but it's also not as good as Stars And Stripes, Vol. 1" -- which are not things that really make me want to go out of my way to listen to albums, I must say.
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 10:09:32 PM »

God put me on this earth to rock out to the guitar solo on She's Mine

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 02:00:22 PM »

Just picked this up the other day and was pleasantly surprised. It's no POB -- or even TLOS -- but it's definitely an album that suggests a lot about Carl's tastes. Some nifty songwriting on a couple of the tunes, too.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 03:21:33 PM »

Just picked this up the other day and was pleasantly surprised. It's no POB -- or even TLOS -- but it's definitely an album that suggests a lot about Carl's tastes. Some nifty songwriting on a couple of the tunes, too.
Curious as to what you think of "Of The Times"? I always thought this would have made a great Beach Boys album track.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2012, 03:46:16 PM »

Curious as to what you think of "Of The Times"? I always thought this would have made a great Beach Boys album track.

It's just about my favorite song. It reminds me a lot of some tunes on BB85. Perhaps the standout on the album that's actually written by Carl.
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2012, 05:21:48 PM »

Carl's voice shines on this. Actually I basically like anything with the Wilson bros on it  Roll Eyes The songs aren't that great but Carl's voice makes it worth listening to. His performance on Of the Times and Givin' You Up are just stunning. Voice of an angel.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2012, 05:42:55 PM »

Of The Times is a very good song, imo. It should have been a Beach Boys song had they recorded during that time period.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
musicismylife101
Smiley Smile Associate

The introverted phlegmatic ecapist

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2012, 05:47:26 PM »

Of The Times is a very good song, imo. It should have been a Beach Boys song had they recorded during that time period.

Another song the BBs should have covered. Carl's stellar voice combined with the BBs harmonies!!!  Shocked

Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 17, 2013, 07:37:29 AM »

Carl could've made a better album but some of this album rocks. I think the best song on the LP is 'Time'. Total rocker. A few tracks are way too AOR for my taste but I love the rockers.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
bluesno1fann
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 10:39:06 PM »

An improvement over his first solo album. But it's still not a great album.
3 out of 5.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2013, 04:17:31 PM »

I like this LP..  It rocks + has good ballads also.. Really nice guitar playing by Jeff Baxter..  Should be a 2fer with 1st solo LP.. There are tracks on both LP"s that should have been BB songs..  4/5
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2014, 03:36:41 PM »

I like this LP..  It rocks + has good ballads also.. Really nice guitar playing by Jeff Baxter..  Should be a 2fer with 1st solo LP.. There are tracks on both LP"s that should have been BB songs..  4/5
I have heard on fb that there are plans to reissue Youngblood as a two-fer cd with the 1st solo album. We'll see....
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2015, 11:57:07 PM »

"What More Can I Say" – 2/5
"She's Mine" – 2/5
"Givin' You Up" - 3/5
"One More Night Alone" - 3/5
"Rockin' All Over the World" – 2/5
"What You Do to Me" – 3/5
"Young Blood" - 2/5
"Of the Times" – 3/5
"Too Early to Tell" - 2/5
"If I Could Talk to Love" – 3/5
"Time" – 2/5

With the exception of the vocals, everything about this album is average. The ballads work better then the uptempo stuff, but the material is very 'samey', at least his debut had a standout in Heaven. Of the Times sounds like It's Getting Late in parts.
Overall 2.5/5.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2016, 10:51:38 PM »

Nice to see some love here for "Of The Times". It reminds me a bit of Tom Johnston-era Doobies. Jeff Baxter's playing on this album is great! "She's Mine" is a good example of that - and the piano playing rocking out behind him. Baxter said he sought out musicians that respected Carl as a singer and musician and wanted to work with him - and it shows. "Givin' You Up" is one that is just played and produced - and sung - to perfection. Carl's ad libs on the tag of "Givin' You Up" and "What You Do to Me" are good examples of what made him great as a singer, he put everything he had into the songs he sang. And then on the quiet side, there's "If I Could Talk to Love". Just a beautiful song, I have played it on the piano or guitar a few times. Enjoying the live Bottom Line cd now, but I sure would like to have a live recording from the Youngblood tour, too.
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2019, 07:58:43 PM »

Bought a copy a couple days ago with a gold stamp over the barcode that says "FOR PROMOTION ONLY Ownership Reserved By CBS Sale Is Unlawful"

Did I hit the jackpot or are some guys in suits about to show up to my house and snap my vinyl in half while snuffing it out on the ground like a cigarette?

The sleeve has a bit of ring wear but the wax looks like it hasn't been played more than a handful of time. Not a huge fan of the 80s cheese but overall it's a decent album with incredible vocals.

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2019, 09:54:20 PM »

Bought a copy a couple days ago with a gold stamp over the barcode that says "FOR PROMOTION ONLY Ownership Reserved By CBS Sale Is Unlawful"

Did I hit the jackpot or are some guys in suits about to show up to my house and snap my vinyl in half while snuffing it out on the ground like a cigarette?

The sleeve has a bit of ring wear but the wax looks like it hasn't been played more than a handful of time. Not a huge fan of the 80s cheese but overall it's a decent album with incredible vocals.
I have quite a few albums with that kind of stamp on them. Used to find them all the time at a used record store down the street from Tower Records. And no one's showed up at my door asking for them back.
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2019, 07:42:40 AM »

I have quite a few albums with that kind of stamp on them. Used to find them all the time at a used record store down the street from Tower Records. And no one's showed up at my door asking for them back.

Back in my college radio days, pretty much every album in the library had that stamp.  They'd often find their way to used record stores when the station would clear out stuff from time to time.
CarlWilsonfan101
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is my #1!

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2019, 04:16:23 PM »

This album is the best! I've heard it a bazillion times! 5/5

Carl Wilson is the best Beach Boy!

"Subconsciously, I'm very religious." - Carl Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2019, 01:21:05 PM »

This album is the best! I've heard it a bazillion times! 5/5
It's always nice to see positive comments about this album. I still love it.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx