gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680852 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 11:09:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Good Vibrations, as a "blues" song  (Read 1314 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 23, 2010, 01:56:47 AM »

After analyzing and studying the Good Vibrations sessions compilation track as issued on the 1990 Smiley Smile/Wild Honey twofer(as well as the Hawthorne set), I have come to a somewhat surprising, and possibly controversial, conclusion. It seems to me that if you take the melody of the song at it's most basic embryonic form, it is more or less a blues riff. Especially on the chorus. Pay careful attention to the piano, and ignore the lyrics for a moment. The basic structure and rhythm is basically a blues scale, or "shuffle". I'd really be interested in hearing what other people think of this. Am I really on to something here, or are my ears just overworked and on "music overload"?  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:40 AM »

Well I think Carol Kaye in one of the extra interviews on one of the DVDs comments on the basic 'jazz feel' of the chorus.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 09:18:16 AM »

Maybe it's got blues piano and jazz bass!! Grin Grin

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 10:44:05 AM »

Brian intended it to be a soul song, but it turned out to be a blues song with a jazz feel... Boy, did he screw that one up, huh?  Grin
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 07:29:54 PM »

Is it just me, or has half of this topic disappeared?  Huh

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2010, 04:32:49 AM »

Is it just me, or has half of this topic disappeared?  Huh

No, it's not you. As you have probably figured out by now, many posts made last day unfortunately got lost because of the change in webhost.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2010, 08:01:24 AM »

... a blues scale, or "shuffle".

Kaye described the bass as a shuffle, yes.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx