gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:54:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164693 times)
ryan9699
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 31, 2017, 10:07:29 AM »

The ending coda of  Break Away gets me every time, same with the coda of Surf's Up.

I still believe that something is right only when it feels right. - Brian Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 31, 2017, 11:33:12 AM »

"Can't remember what we fought about..." from Kiss Me, Baby
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 31, 2017, 02:08:28 PM »

Listening to He Come Down on headphones, I'm struck by the lovely soft 'ohhh' vocals that rise and fall between 2:18 and 2:42. So very pretty.
Got to be Carl in there most prominently, right?

I believe you are right, and I think I can hear him double-tracked.

I am baffled, especially on the first chorus, by how the soulful-belt-it-out part (Blondie, I am assuming?) is for some reason mixed lower than everything else that is going on at the time.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #628 on: June 01, 2017, 12:47:11 PM »

1967 version of Here Comes The Night

Brian's "Oooooooooo" at the end of the chorus is really the ass kicker.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #629 on: June 27, 2017, 10:59:23 AM »

Pretty well all of the original 1988 mix of Brian Wilson----oh all right, all of it. Grin 

I borrowed it from the local record-lending library (they have first editions of everything).

What an aural treat from start to finish! Who cares if the CD booklet make more sense to the medical profession? This is one fabulous listen...

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #630 on: June 27, 2017, 08:02:37 PM »

Every chorus falsetto on Good Timin' they just give me chills, really fun to sing as well. It's Carl isn't it? Unless my ears deceive me
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #631 on: July 12, 2017, 09:54:41 AM »

The Session Highlights from "Aren't You Glad" on 1967:ST----strewth! Mr E wasn't joking about getting very psyched! Roll Eyes 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #632 on: July 12, 2017, 10:32:48 AM »

The Session Highlights from "Aren't You Glad" on 1967:ST----strewth! Mr E wasn't joking about getting very psyched! Roll Eyes 

Man, those taped piano strings? Easily makes it sound like a SMiLE outtake, especially the early versions of "I Love to Say Dada". We were wrong, Brian was definitely still at the top of his game during the Wild Honey sessions. Only after his hospital visit in mid-68 did he start losing focus with the Beach Boys.

1967 version of Here Comes The Night

Brian's "Oooooooooo" at the end of the chorus is really the ass kicker.

With the new stereo remix, this has shot up to be my favorite track off of Wild Honey, just amazing.

Technically not a Beach Boys song, but holy hell, I've been obsessed recently with "Don't Run Away" by Bruce and Terry. A Beach Boys version would have kicked ass, it doesn't help that Terry's lead during the bridge already sounds a lot like Brian! This could have fit on Pet Sounds, easily.

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #633 on: July 12, 2017, 05:23:39 PM »

Do It Again...2017.  No wait.  THEY aren't the Beach Boys.  Oh and that isn't my ass. Nuts!!!

Think I'll go with most of Sunshine Tomorrow..  Listen with headphones.  It kicks actual ass.

Mikey?  Not so much.  Wear a jock.  Dead Horse
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:24:20 PM by Add Some » Logged

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #634 on: July 13, 2017, 02:53:23 AM »

Oh and that isn't my ass. Nuts!!!

When you have trouble distinguishing your ass from your nuts, that's the time to seek help.  LOL

Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #635 on: July 13, 2017, 05:59:39 AM »

True.  Although, in my own defense...I do remember that a kick in the ass doesn't hurt nearly as much.  [or sound anywhere near as bad.]

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #636 on: July 14, 2017, 09:27:09 AM »

Mike's bass "a bow bow bow bow" right before the chorus after the middle eight in 'Help Me Rhonda' - that makes the song for me - I mean it's all great, but that's THE hook I listen for when I hear this tune.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Azmo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #637 on: July 14, 2017, 10:55:02 AM »

Man, those taped piano strings? Easily makes it sound like a SMiLE outtake, especially the early versions of "I Love to Say Dada". We were wrong, Brian was definitely still at the top of his game during the Wild Honey sessions. Only after his hospital visit in mid-68 did he start losing focus with the Beach Boys.

Are you referring to the "plucking sounds" on the verses that you hear in the left channel.  I couldn't figure out what they were, but totally love them!  The song is amazing.
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #638 on: July 15, 2017, 01:27:22 PM »

The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now
Simple and obvious: New Wild Honey stereo mix on vinyl!
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #639 on: July 16, 2017, 05:38:09 AM »

The drum and guitar intro and guitar solo in It's A Beautiful Day. I miss guitar solos in Beach Boys songs.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #640 on: July 16, 2017, 06:25:23 AM »

Mike's bass "a bow bow bow bow" right before the chorus after the middle eight in 'Help Me Rhonda' - that makes the song for me - I mean it's all great, but that's THE hook I listen for when I hear this tune.
You mean you prefer Mike's short bow-wow to Al's vocals in THE Al song? Peculiar opinion.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #641 on: July 16, 2017, 06:11:59 PM »

You mean you prefer Mike's short bow-wow to Al's vocals in THE Al song? Peculiar opinion.

Well I think that each part of the song (be it Al's awesome lead, the simple guitar solo, or the backing track) lend so much to the greatness of this track, but those low "bow"s seem to add something that just elevates the track somewhere else.

It's kinda like how Brian's lead on WIBN is a highlight, but one of the main hooks being those high falsetto "ooohs" in the second verse.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #642 on: July 16, 2017, 06:13:12 PM »

The entirety of "It's Ok" - production, backing vocals, lead vocals, the mix. It's all around perfect.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #643 on: July 18, 2017, 01:14:23 PM »

The entirety of "It's Ok" - production, backing vocals, lead vocals, the mix. It's all around perfect.

Very cool avatar you got there, rab.  LOL

Agreed about "It's O.K." For me it's their last great paean to summer.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #644 on: July 18, 2017, 01:44:01 PM »

Very cool avatar you got there, rab.  LOL

Agreed about "It's O.K." For me it's their last great paean to summer.

Thanks, JK Grin

And yeah, I agree. Dennis with his "find a ride" line makes me want to carpool to the beach with friends and spend the rest of the summer there.

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #645 on: July 23, 2017, 10:56:55 PM »

I happened to find myself listening to the groups' cover of "Calendar Girl" today, and I've come to realize that it's actually a whole lot better than I realized. Needless to say, I'm a little obsessed with it right now. A stellar Brian Wilson production that is long overdue for an official release!

petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: July 24, 2017, 07:41:52 AM »

Every chorus falsetto on Good Timin' they just give me chills, really fun to sing as well. It's Carl isn't it? Unless my ears deceive me

Agreed!  I think that is Carl.  Beautiful!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: July 24, 2017, 01:47:22 PM »

The 5/4 part on Deirdre
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: July 24, 2017, 02:29:44 PM »

I happened to find myself listening to the groups' cover of "Calendar Girl" today, and I've come to realize that it's actually a whole lot better than I realized. Needless to say, I'm a little obsessed with it right now. A stellar Brian Wilson production that is long overdue for an official release!

I agree! I absolutely love their version of "Calendar Girl." It definitely sounds like a Brian Wilson production, but I do remember there being talk of a "Brian version" and a "Bruce version" so, I'm interested what the widely circulated version is. I'm assuming it's Brian's because of the basic sound (and also that electronic bass he was using in the '70s).
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #649 on: July 24, 2017, 05:05:18 PM »

I agree! I absolutely love their version of "Calendar Girl." It definitely sounds like a Brian Wilson production, but I do remember there being talk of a "Brian version" and a "Bruce version" so, I'm interested what the widely circulated version is. I'm assuming it's Brian's because of the basic sound (and also that electronic bass he was using in the '70s).

The Brian-produced version is the one that circulates. The Bruce production, cut during the LA (Light Album) sessions, is apparently a disappointment compared to the earlier version. Not too surprising I'd say!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx