gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:22:29 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164706 times)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: April 30, 2016, 11:29:03 AM »

Yes, he was rocking the solo with the BW band to open the 2nd set of the show. Great show with many highlights!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: April 30, 2016, 11:33:02 AM »

I'm so jealous.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: April 30, 2016, 11:48:19 AM »

Seeing the PS50 tour?

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: April 30, 2016, 11:51:12 AM »

Seeing the PS50 tour?
I don't know. Ill have to see if he's playing PA.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #579 on: April 30, 2016, 12:03:40 PM »

He is playing philly and Easton!

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: April 30, 2016, 12:08:31 PM »

He is playing philly and Easton!
Somewhere around Pittsburgh would be in my neighborhood.

You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #581 on: May 02, 2016, 10:00:47 PM »

2:20 of Summer's Gone

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: May 04, 2016, 05:03:30 AM »

The entire duration of "Salt Lake City". (2012 stereo). Just can't get enough of that song at the moment.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #583 on: May 14, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »

Not Beach Boys, but Brian's "There's So Many" from the 1988 album is seriously one of his best songs I've ever heard. Crazy to learn that the song was first demoed all the way back in 1979! The majority of the album has an amazing replay value!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: May 14, 2016, 11:58:11 AM »

The entirety of "All I Wanna Do". That song is other-worldly. Probably Mike's crowning achievement in the group.

SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #585 on: May 14, 2016, 04:59:57 PM »

The entirety of "All I Wanna Do". That song is other-worldly. Probably Mike's crowning achievement in the group.

Right next to Big Sur (4/4 Version) as Mike's shining moment IMO!
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #586 on: May 14, 2016, 06:16:00 PM »

Brian's vocal flourish at the end of this version of Surfer Girl. The moment I'm referring to starts at about the 2:32 mark of this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzxxMYcGUi4

I absolutely love it! Can't listen to this version without rewinding the end a good half dozen times.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #587 on: May 18, 2016, 08:55:20 PM »

Here's a couple that I've had at the moment...

- Airplane (Live in Seattle 12/13/1977): The horns! When any song has a flourish of brass, I love it even more!
- Back Home (Seattle 1977): Nice to have Brian singing a song or two with the band. Despite forgetting a lyric, it a nice, up-tempo change from 15BO.
- Heroes and Villains (Live at Nassau; Live at Syracuse; Fillmore East Closing Night) I like the song, especially played live!
- Heroes and Villains (Sounds of Summer/Hawthorne, CA stereo mix) I prefer this louder mix over others.
- It's About Time (using 2012 Sunflower mix): Specifically the backing vocals of the first "I'm singin' in my heart...". I don't think the channel (left/right) matters, but I first noticed it on the right.
- Carl & the Passions (album) is probably one of my top 3-6 favorite albums (Friends, Pet Sounds, Surf's Up, Holland, Love You)
- Peggy Sue/Come Go With Me/Pitter Patter/Winds of Change: The alternate mixes are, IMHO, better than the album cuts.
- Santa Ana Winds/Looking Down the Coast (Song of the Whale): Very catchy tunes.
- Go and Get that Girl: Again, horns! Nice fast tempo, with enough hooks to catch a fish!
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #588 on: June 14, 2016, 03:44:35 AM »

The coda of "At My Window", a song that creeps up on one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbtV5x5AEo

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #589 on: June 14, 2016, 05:13:56 AM »

The "alternate" melody for "Do You Like Worms" Brian sings for (ALAS!) too few seconds in Disc 3 of the Smile Sessions.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 05:15:02 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #590 on: June 14, 2016, 07:26:44 AM »

Brian's vocal flourish at the end of this version of Surfer Girl. The moment I'm referring to starts at about the 2:32 mark of this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzxxMYcGUi4

I absolutely love it! Can't listen to this version without rewinding the end a good half dozen times.
Beautiful!   Smiley

thorgil
Smiley Smile Associate

GREAT post, Rab!

View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 14, 2016, 09:59:08 AM »

Airplane's coda. It's already such a great song, then the coda comes, totally unexpected.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2016, 09:59:45 AM by thorgil » Logged

DIT, DIT, DIT, HEROES AND VILLAINS...
TwoStepLampLight
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 06, 2016, 05:07:43 AM »

I've been following this board for some time, but have now registered as a member and this is my first post.

I've enjoyed reading this thread in particular and for me there are plenty of exceptional moments in the Beach Boys catalogue, but lately I've appreciated "Time To Get Alone" and especially the line "The touch of your cheeks when they're rosy and cold, feels so cozy to hold..." in particular. The words, the attitude, Carl's voice and the entire song is really special. "...Deep and wide..." from the same song is really a great moment too.
barto
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 17, 2016, 09:11:16 PM »

"Meant For You". My God this is a beautiful sweet song.
HeroesandVillains
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 18, 2016, 12:39:41 PM »

The coda of Surf's Up is just bliss
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 23, 2016, 02:52:43 PM »

First time poster, hello!

I have spent so much time soaking up the Beach Boys in my life.  Both as a listener and as someone who has spent years playing in bands.  I love how these moments can pop up and reward you for repeated listens.

These last few days I have been loving It's OK.  The way that it is constructed is Kicking My Ass Right Now.  Through the clever addition and subtraction of instruments Brian built an excellent excellent excellent rock crescendo.

Sometimes it is hard to distinguish or hear certain individual instrumentation, due to Brian's (most often wonderful) production methods.  So I find myself in some of these times more easily focused on what jumps out at me as a listener.  Rather than eeeeeeverything that is there.  Thanks for indulging me.

-It starts out as a high energy song!  Also the method of skipping an intro and starting directly with the first verse is often somewhat jarring to the listener.  I like it this time.
-I am immediately drawn to Mike's leads and the saxophone interplay slightly behind it.  In my mind I liken this verse to turning onto a freeway on-ramp and getting onto the interstate.
-The first chorus introduces the backup stack singing the same lyrics as Mike, and it is important that this chorus never changes through the song.  
-In verse 2, the backup stack is (in my mind) the most prominent thing. Partially because it is new, and partially because the harmonizing is right out front.  Mike's lead doesn't really diminish, but the saxophone is totally buried now.  In my mind the listener is now in the left lane of the freeway, working on getting out of town.
-The second chorus comes back again.  Its consistency helps reinforce the intensity that in my mind slowly climbs, then plateaus, then climbs, then plateaus, etc.
-The third verse is interesting to me because (this is just my guess) Mike lucked out and wrote a third verse with words and syllabic emphases (have some FUN, good or BAD glad or SAD are words that are just more forcefully spoken than stuff like tan your hide, ocean spray, race, disgrace, in verse 2.  Those just aren't forceful words) that allow him to now overtake the backup stack and thus raise the intensity of the song juuuuust a little more.  Plus in the second verse the listener is still getting used to the vocal stack accompaniment, by the third verse the listener is expecting it.
-The third, consistent chorus again reinforces the boiling point that the songs' intensity has now built to.
-Love you, Dennis.  An amazing payoff.  Plus now the saxophone is back out front-ish again to interact with him.  The listener is now out of town and joyfully cruising down a wide open interstate.
-The backup stack comes back with a minor modification to the tempo of the backing harmony that they used in the verse.  Dennis now paces an interplay in the outro that includes the sax, the new backup, and a minor, new tag by Mike that sort of mimes the moog bass.  This interplay brings the listener to the conclusion of the song.  In this part the driver drives off into the sunset.  
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 05:44:56 PM by Kid Presentable » Logged
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 23, 2016, 02:56:40 PM »

Welcome, great first post on a kickass song!

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 23, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

Welcome, great first post on a kickass song!

Welcome, KP! I echo SB's sentiments. :=)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 26, 2016, 05:06:19 AM »

Cool speech. I don't think anybody here reviewed song (& short too!) like that. Hello & welcome.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #599 on: July 26, 2016, 11:50:40 AM »

-It starts out as a high energy song!  Also the method of skipping an intro and starting directly with the first verse is often somewhat jarring to the listener.  I like it this time.

Unless you listen to the alternate mix, that one has an intro!

Welcome, BTW!

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx