gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:20:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164792 times)
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #450 on: December 09, 2014, 07:10:45 PM »

Someone help me out here, as this makes no sense to me...are we speaking about the recording that played with the link - From There to Back Again?  Brian was the composer/producer/arranger.  No composer/producer/arranger, no song, so a thank you to him seems appropriate...Then, obviously, Al is on lead and there are stunning harmonies - yep very grateful for those amazing arrangements and performances.  Then Brian does an important vocal - very nice, thanks to him again.  Then Mike does the ba-da-da bass thing nicely - yep thanks - until the very last part when it appears he's either doubled, it's somebody else or simply some technology as it blends into the harmonies.  Al does a stunning lead, without question.  How is this an Al/Mike accomplishment without Brian, or did I mis-read this?
Yes, you did. schiaffino thanked Brian for writing a song, to which I nodded, hence my "You forgot to thank Al & Mike", as to continuing his message. In other words, I narrowed the subject down to vocals. Or rather, which "specific moments" I liked more on "From There to Back Again". Tastes differ, & mine is I find Brian's part lesser to Al & Mike's. Short it may be,  the "babada" line gave needed edge to the song & was perfect closing along with whistling. Your mileage may vary.

Yes, Brian was thanked in the previous post.  This is what threw me in your reply:  Your quote read:  You forgot, "And thanks Al/Mike singing it" (don't include Brian because those 2 stole the show, esp. Al).
 That "don't include Brian" certainly gave the impression that you thought the composer/arranger/producer shouldn't be included in the thanks, which I found odd, that's all.  I'm glad I brought it up as it clarifies what you intended.  
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 07:16:15 PM by Debbie Keil-Leavitt » Logged
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #451 on: December 09, 2014, 07:15:21 PM »

Found this nice fan video on Youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaDiwoACJ2Q

This is definitely kicking my ass right now...thanks Brian for writing this song  Smiley

Cool video, and damn great tune! It's kicking my ass too! Love it, love it.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #452 on: December 09, 2014, 10:01:02 PM »

Yes, Brian was thanked in the previous post.  This is what threw me in your reply:  Your quote read:  You forgot, "And thanks Al/Mike singing it" (don't include Brian because those 2 stole the show, esp. Al).
That "don't include Brian" certainly gave the impression that you thought the composer/arranger/producer shouldn't be included in the thanks, which I found odd, that's all.  I'm glad I brought it up as it clarifies what you intended.  
Well, it goes without saying that Brian is the force behind the lion's share of BBs' catalog. He's a great songwriter/arranger/producer, for the latter he even got some place (#4 or 5) in the Best producers list, forget where. I just wanted to give credit to singers. Al & Mike did fantastic job. Brian too, but I like him less there. I thought it was obvious from that quote that by "Don't include Brian" I referred to his singing, that's why I started with "And thanks to Al/Mike singing it".
I admire Brian, he's certainly #1 in the group talent-wise, but he isn't the only reason why I love The BBs. It's a team thing.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #453 on: December 10, 2014, 12:38:30 AM »

Alan's take on You Still Believe In Me from 73 concert LP, it's a place I'm at now.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #454 on: December 12, 2014, 10:47:24 AM »

The guitar being strummed with full whammy bar in effect in "Strange World" at 1:58, just as Brian sings "we're pretty good company". Not to mention the swell of vocal harmonies that follow right after. Super awesome.
Debbie Keil-Leavitt
« Reply #455 on: December 12, 2014, 11:14:54 AM »

I think I'm waiting for the inevitable videos from tonight's show to surface before I comment on my ass being kicked right now.  I'm thinking there will be something pretty great there.
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #456 on: December 13, 2014, 07:29:03 AM »

God Only Knows vocal bridge
Where is She? including demo intro
The "Deep and wide" part of Time To Get Alone
The 8-note (repeated) synth solo in Feel Flows gives me goosebumps
The acapella version of Wouldn't It Be Nice
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:26:35 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #457 on: December 13, 2014, 07:32:46 AM »

God Only Knows vocal bridge
Where is She? including demo intro
The "Deep and wide" part of Cabinessence
The 8-note (repeated) synth solo in Feel Flows gives me goosebumps
The acapella version of Wouldn't It Be Nice

Don't you mean "Deep and wide" from Time To Get Alone?
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #458 on: December 13, 2014, 10:27:23 AM »

D'oh! I sure do! Thanks. Embarrassed

Years ago, I had a challenge with an English Lit professor who feels Dylan was the best and he used to give "Dylan vs. The Beatles" comparisons. I asked him why he never mentioned the Beach Boys as I thought the Beach Boys vs Beatles would have been a fairer comparison. He said he did not care for surf music.

We both decided to put together some music of the more uncommon songs from each. I put together a Beach Boys 2-CD set of stuff that you will not likely hear on the radio and he did the same for me with Dylan.

Both of us were pleasantly surprised because both Dylan and the Beach Boys have very stereotypical songs and sounds, but have less heard material that is outside of the stereotype that is amazing. I was listening to the group of songs I put together for him which included both Cabinessence and Time To Get Alone. My bad.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 10:35:07 AM by Rick5150 » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #459 on: December 15, 2014, 06:08:04 PM »

Sometimes I firmly believe You Need A Mess of Help to Stand Alone is the greatest record ever made. Occasionally I believe that strange "double snap" in Sweet Mountain ("stand-ing there - Ching Ching") is mind blowing. And today. For no apparent reason, I have Love is a Woman stuck in my head ( the Saturday Night Live version). Go figure.
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: December 15, 2014, 07:28:53 PM »

I'm actually really enjoying the instrumental bit at the beginning of Somewhere Near Japan(the album version).
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: December 18, 2014, 09:23:16 PM »

"Summer's Gone..." the section that begins at 2:17 and runs to about 2:50.  Sublime, chokes me up every time I hear it.  And with some trademark odd Brian Wilson chord changes ala Warmth of the Sun.  Sounds like it's the last musically harmonic moment, the band doing one last amazing layered vocal gem, one last nod to 1965, before fading away.  Powerful and emotional. For me, this is right up there with the start of the second verse of Wouldn't It Be Nice, when the background vocals kick in... achingly beautiful yet such power.
 Not sure if I doing this correctly or not, but for my first post give, me a pass please if I screw it up.  I've been stalking this board for the better part of eight years reading everyone's posts nightly to the point where I truly think have 100 friends I've never met.  Yeah yeah yeah, it gets out of whack sometimes with derogatory slams where people should know better, but the bottom line is we all love the music, we all love the harmonies, and for good and bad, we love these guys.
     I've been enthralled with this particular thread since it started a while ago.  Everyone's own personal song, harmony, chord----whatever it may be, its why we're all Beach Boys fans.  So last night I sat down to catch up and as I read Steve Latshaw's post about Summer's Gone I froze in front of my PC.  I was awake all night as I knew it was now time to become one of you "derelicts" and start my posting career on Smiley Smile.  My God this is EXACTLY where my feelings and thoughts all these years came to fruition when I first heard this song.  As Steve quoted "powerful and emotional", to me its what the music has all been about all these years.  Yes I loved many songs over time (first concert in 1975 and now totaling 46 of them), but the words, to me, are so damn powerful.  Out of all the concerts I've seen, my most moving moment was @ Ravinia (in Chicago) a couple of years ago the last time BW played there.  I brought daughter to enjoy the show and  this was the final song of his encore.  If enjoying with her was not enough, as BW walked off stage, I looked around and tears everywhere. It was a perfect evening and Steve's post has allowed me to re-live it for the past 24 hours
    To all on the board......be nice.....play nice     and remember its all about the music
Hank Briarstem
Smiley Smile Associate

I feel dizzy.

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: December 19, 2014, 09:18:40 AM »

I believe I was in Nice – a pleasant café near the Promenade des Anglais, having explored that morning Matisse and all he offers us – when from some nearby Walkman, or perhaps some more modern source, I heard the strike of a drum. Actually I might have been in Des Moines, though the weather was more similar to typical Nice, springtime, when love is in the air. But I digress. The drum, ah the drum! My mood, which had been lately fledged by the rejection of a beautiful French woman, a Belle of Paris, as it were – or perhaps an Iowa farm girl; I simply can’t recall – was immediately uplifted and my joy complete. For I knew, at the sound of that simple drum, the greatest record ever recorded, Don’t Worry Baby, was there to wash away my sins, the sins of others, and the sins of others to come. I wept.
Michael Edward Osbourne
Smiley Smile Associate

My name is Lovecifer. Please take my hand. \m/

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: December 19, 2014, 11:10:41 AM »

The ending part of Cabinessence (well the whole song really, but the ending part especially). This one gets me all the time. It's so magical!
Coda Hall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: December 28, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

The ending to Surfer Girl from the 1981 Queen Mary Long Beach show. The balance is off the entire song, and there are some out of tune moments, but when Brian does the "Little one" part, it's different than the usual take. Carl or Al (or whoever does the falsetto live) would falsetto this part, but the way Brian does in chest-voice, it truly sounds awesome.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #465 on: December 30, 2014, 03:38:49 PM »

Darlin'. What a record that is.

One of the best tracks they ever did imo
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #466 on: January 02, 2015, 04:25:11 AM »

"Summer's Gone..." the section that begins at 2:17 and runs to about 2:50.  Sublime, chokes me up every time I hear it.  And with some trademark odd Brian Wilson chord changes ala Warmth of the Sun.  Sounds like it's the last musically harmonic moment, the band doing one last amazing layered vocal gem, one last nod to 1965, before fading away.  Powerful and emotional. For me, this is right up there with the start of the second verse of Wouldn't It Be Nice, when the background vocals kick in... achingly beautiful yet such power.
 Not sure if I doing this correctly or not, but for my first post give, me a pass please if I screw it up.  I've been stalking this board for the better part of eight years reading everyone's posts nightly to the point where I truly think have 100 friends I've never met.  Yeah yeah yeah, it gets out of whack sometimes with derogatory slams where people should know better, but the bottom line is we all love the music, we all love the harmonies, and for good and bad, we love these guys.
     I've been enthralled with this particular thread since it started a while ago.  Everyone's own personal song, harmony, chord----whatever it may be, its why we're all Beach Boys fans.  So last night I sat down to catch up and as I read Steve Latshaw's post about Summer's Gone I froze in front of my PC.  I was awake all night as I knew it was now time to become one of you "derelicts" and start my posting career on Smiley Smile.  My God this is EXACTLY where my feelings and thoughts all these years came to fruition when I first heard this song.  As Steve quoted "powerful and emotional", to me its what the music has all been about all these years.  Yes I loved many songs over time (first concert in 1975 and now totaling 46 of them), but the words, to me, are so damn powerful.  Out of all the concerts I've seen, my most moving moment was @ Ravinia (in Chicago) a couple of years ago the last time BW played there.  I brought daughter to enjoy the show and  this was the final song of his encore.  If enjoying with her was not enough, as BW walked off stage, I looked around and tears everywhere. It was a perfect evening and Steve's post has allowed me to re-live it for the past 24 hours
    To all on the board......be nice.....play nice     and remember its all about the music
One of the best intro posts I read on the board. I don't agree about SG, but that was beautiful (and amusing re stalking everyone). Welcome, barsone! (btw, as I write your name on my phone, it autocorrects me to 'Jardine'! Go figure)

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
barsone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #467 on: January 04, 2015, 08:40:51 PM »

One of the best intro posts I read on the board. I don't agree about SG, but that was beautiful (and amusing re stalking everyone). Welcome, barsone! (btw, as I write your name on my phone, it autocorrects me to 'Jardine'! Go figure)
  Well  RangeRover,  I take your post as an extremely nice compliment from a board veteran and this "board newbie" appreciates it !!  I truly have been stalking this board for years, trying to get approved, and just waiting my turn.  Funny about the Jardine comment.  Al always has been my favorite in the group and I'm sure your phone is defaulting because we're both native Ohio-ans !!   I know  I know   keep with the thread !!     I will say second fav  to my Summer's Gone thoughts from above, are a wonderfully led I Can Hear Music by Carl in concert just can't be topped.   Why??  he says it all     It is because of the music we all love this stuff.  (Even tho not a BB original).
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #468 on: January 05, 2015, 11:46:17 AM »

"Shirts off, you Motorcycle Rider!"

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #469 on: January 05, 2015, 06:59:14 PM »

"Cabin Essence" kicks my ass every time.  A close second is "Little Girl I Once Knew."
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #470 on: January 05, 2015, 08:58:36 PM »

I'm in the midst of playing the fcking US Singles Box right now.   I've never played this whole thing through... but thanks to computers/FLAC files I am.  And yes, it's kicking my ass -- royally.

Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #471 on: January 07, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »

The ending to Melt Away.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #472 on: January 08, 2015, 07:01:43 PM »

Seriously... has anyone else played the Singles box all at once?  It's hard to do if you don't have it loaded digitally, I suppose.

I've had it for years... and have only played the singles -- as intended -- one at a time.  Which is fun to do.  Usually I'd play 3 or 4 or 5 in a sitting.  Very cool.  But never have I played this BOX SET, like a proper BOX SET (or compilation) -- from start-to-finish.  It really blew me away.  One of the best Beach Boy Box Sets, I think.  I was kind of shocked.  2+ hours of Beach Boys goodness!!!!!

Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #473 on: January 08, 2015, 07:02:39 PM »

The ending to Melt Away.

Yes.  Hands down, one of the best moments of the post Dennis 'Boys.  If not the best.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #474 on: January 08, 2015, 07:40:30 PM »

The ending to Melt Away.

Yes.  Hands down, one of the best moments of the post Dennis 'Boys.  If not the best.

And a friendly reminder to those on the board who aren't aware (as I wasn't for probably a decade), get your hands on the ORIGINAL issue 1988 version of Brian's album BW88, since the incredible Melt Away ending has an extra (and very important) harmony line audible which was incorrectly missing from the 2000 CD reissue.

While there were subsequent corrected copies made of the 2000 reissue, I don't know if there's a way to tell easily which version is which. The bad ones weren't "recalled", and are probably far and away the most common ones out there, so to be safe, one should get both the 2000 reissue (for all the bonus tracks and general remastering), and the 1988 version to ensure hearing Melt Away properly (and a few other songs they screwed up on the 2000 CD too).

</BB fan public service announcement for the day>
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:41:24 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23 24 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx