gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680722 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 08:12:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165591 times)
Bedroom Tapes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #400 on: February 13, 2014, 09:37:34 PM »

"Rollin' Up To Heaven" is currently mine.  It's basically my "Be My Baby."   Cool Guy   
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #401 on: February 14, 2014, 07:21:17 AM »

Dennis's Mexico and the BB's You're Still A Mystery, in their entirety, are now forever in my head.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 14, 2014, 12:20:58 PM »

ending tag to Funky Pretty

I love the part where Al comes in with "where's my spark in the dark." With the harmonies and synths behind him, I feel like there's suddenly no gravity.
the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #403 on: February 14, 2014, 07:15:31 PM »

SPRING VACATION--the whole underrated, misunderstood song.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #404 on: February 14, 2014, 07:32:11 PM »

Not underrated or misunderstood by me. Smiley It is still my favorite Side 1 track. I'm also a big fan of Shelter, especially the chorus.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #405 on: February 17, 2014, 02:07:01 AM »

Our Sweet Love.

Had a weird dream last night. Won't go into the details, but near the end, Our Sweet Love was strangely playing. It was the music and Carl's vocals, no backing vocals whatsoever, and it was on a loop.

Few weeks before that, had another dream with Carl's vocals on Baby Blue on a loop (Just the first part, no Denny vocals or Carl vocals after Denny's). Can't go into the details of that dream because it's long been forgotten, Baby Blue otherwise.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 02:09:32 AM by Little Bird, Right in a Tree... » Logged
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #406 on: February 17, 2014, 06:22:44 AM »

The dream I had last night -  I was on stage during a C50 concert with an electric piano in front of me, which is kind of pity as I only play guitar. The song was Barbara Ann, and I hit a single B note which turned out to be the root note. Then Mike Love came over to see what I was doing and then I awoke. My first awake thought was "But Barbara Ann is in F#!" I wish I had thought of that while I was still dreaming...

A silly but true story, my kick-ass moment for today. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: February 17, 2014, 10:07:43 AM »

+1
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: February 18, 2014, 04:21:55 AM »

I'm also a big fan of Shelter, especially the chorus.
Am a fan of "Shelter" myself, although my mileage varies, as I'm more into Brian-sung verses. It's awkward but otherwise beautiful.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: February 18, 2014, 06:27:35 AM »

The dream I had last night -  I was on stage during a C50 concert with an electric piano in front of me, which is kind of pity as I only play guitar. The song was Barbara Ann, and I hit a single B note which turned out to be the root note. Then Mike Love came over to see what I was doing and then I awoke. My first awake thought was "But Barbara Ann is in F#!" I wish I had thought of that while I was still dreaming...

A silly but true story, my kick-ass moment for today. Cheesy

I had my own BB-related dream a few days ago. I'm watching a circa-1977 concert with Brian flailing away on his bass on stage in a very active way, then I see current-day Brian and ask how his kids are. He gives an enthusiastic rapid-fire reply, but I don't understand much of it.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: February 18, 2014, 06:43:20 AM »

Heard him during the Montreal show this summer, still has the best voice of them all  Smiley

Razz

Was at the Montreal show too. Damn right about Al, he was amazing!
bluesno1fann
« Reply #411 on: March 05, 2014, 10:33:07 PM »

Got To Know The Woman

Especially the "Come On and do the Chicken" part and after that until the final chorus!

zachrwolfe
« Reply #412 on: March 05, 2014, 10:37:58 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:22:14 PM by zatch » Logged
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 06, 2014, 05:28:41 AM »

Live at the Roxy.  All of it.  I listened to it for the first time yesterday then had to hear it right through twice more.  Great to hear Brian so relaxed and happy, and there's something about his war-torn vocalising that works so well in the music despite its less-than-perfect quality.  To make up for the loss of the unearthly purity of his early voice, the songs have a sense of humanity and humility that works for me.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 06, 2014, 11:15:25 AM »

Live at the Roxy.  All of it.  I listened to it for the first time yesterday then had to hear it right through twice more.  Great to hear Brian so relaxed and happy, and there's something about his war-torn vocalising that works so well in the music despite its less-than-perfect quality.  To make up for the loss of the unearthly purity of his early voice, the songs have a sense of humanity and humility that works for me.

Yes, that's a truly excellent live album.  I wish the C50 double disc sounded as good as Roxy!

The BB moment that's kicking my ass right now:

Brian's "Love you baby" counter-melody at the end of the MiC version of "Our Sweet Love".

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 06, 2014, 07:30:00 PM »

all of "Carry Me Home". What a song!
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 09, 2014, 04:33:50 AM »

Does "Shelter" not contain Brian-sung verses? Huh
It does, but let me correct you: in discussing "Shelter", drbeachboy said he prefers the chorus & I said I like the verses [Brian-sung]. That's where we differed, hence "my mileage varies".

all of "Carry Me Home". What a song!
1st time I see a crooked rhyme being on-topic.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Watch a Cave
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 10, 2014, 04:19:47 AM »

Yes, that's a truly excellent live album.  I wish the C50 double disc sounded as good as Roxy!

The BB moment that's kicking my ass right now:

Brian's "Love you baby" counter-melody at the end of the MiC version of "Our Sweet Love".

I love this part of "Out sweet love" as well.  Stunning little vocal by Brian.. too bad it is buried on the actual album version.
Adult Child
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 10, 2014, 03:48:39 PM »

Brian's vocal on We'll Run Away is so perfect. I've been listening to it constantly for about 2 weeks.

"In my opinion it makes Pet Sounds stink - that's how good it is!" - Dennis Wilson

"Our records were really very good. We're very talented and we know how to do what we do." - Carl Wilson

"The thing is, I'm just pooping along. Some people buzz along. I poop along. I just can't help it; that's the way I am. I'm just a pooper." - Brian Wilson
bluesno1fann
« Reply #419 on: March 13, 2014, 03:11:34 AM »

Not exactly Beach Boys, it's a solo song.

Pipeline by Bruce Johnston. I LOVE IT!

I'd say it's just as good as the brilliant original by the Chantays (Who coincidentally has a drummer who has the same name as the late Fleetwood Mac member Bob Welch). Been listening to both versions a lot recently.

In fact, it's the only reason why I have Going Public on my iPhone!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #420 on: March 13, 2014, 12:37:06 PM »

Not exactly Beach Boys, it's a solo song.

Pipeline by Bruce Johnston. I LOVE IT!

I first listened to this last week and was quite impressed. It's nothing incredible, but it's catchy and sounds great.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
ThyRavenAscend
Smiley Smile Associate

It is nice.

View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 13, 2014, 07:13:15 PM »

In "Getcha Back", the oo's leading into the second verse, and Mike picks up with, "I'm gettin' tired..."  LOVE that transition SO MUCH.

(Never thought I'd love "Getcha Back", but it's really grown on me.)

1 Corinthians 1:18-31
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 13, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »

Love Surrounds Me - "Desiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiire" and "Put your arms aroooooooooound me".
Ovi
Smiley Smile Associate

They know I'm rock 'n' roll through and through.

View Profile
« Reply #423 on: April 02, 2014, 12:28:19 PM »

The moment when the horns kick in from Dennis' Time...holy hell, as powerful as any 'classic' guitar solo you'd want to compare it to.
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #424 on: April 02, 2014, 10:02:10 PM »

Sherry She Needs Me - love that chorus, especially the last powerful Sherry Baby line of each chorus.  And it's surreal to hear the 1965 Brian sing "said goodbye" after hearing the 1976 Brian sing the rest of the song.  I can't believe they didn't bother finishing it in 1965 - they were so close!  I could imagine Dennis singing the main vocal in '65.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx