gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:50:29 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164673 times)
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #375 on: November 17, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »

Barnyard Blues and the start of it does remind me of Barnyard
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #376 on: November 17, 2013, 05:19:14 PM »

Barnyard Blues and the start of it does remind me of Barnyard

The piano playing technique also sounds a lot like the harpsichord playing on Wonderful (smile version). I really like the song, wish I knew more about it!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #377 on: November 17, 2013, 06:39:16 PM »

I've been listening to "Sherry She Needs Me" quite a bit lately. It's such a fascinating recording. Still, despite it's oddness, I don't think I could imagine hearing the song any other way. The vocals, the track, everything is perfect just how it is. It's difficult to describe why I like so much, I just do.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
beacharg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #378 on: November 28, 2013, 01:29:45 PM »

"Don't go near the water" tag.

Superb Bow
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #379 on: November 30, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »

Following Disney Boy's numerous positive comments about Viggie, I downloaded & listened to it. He was dead right - what a beautiful song that is indeed! Hands down the best song written by Mike, even surpasses Big Sur (3/4). Indian flutes, the bridge, the singing - all is idyllic! Traditionally, Native American theme rules!

1 wee note: at 1st glance I thought the title can be read like ['vigi], not ['veʤi].

Glad you likes it - there's two versions, one with prominent flute on the verses and the fade and one without, both of which are great.

This is the 'busier' version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CruGtoJM8Os

'Glow Crescent Glow' is almost as good by the way, so track down a copy of that too if you can...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 07:56:58 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
Moz from Oz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #380 on: November 30, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »

For all the failings of the live 50th cd and DVD,I can't get enough of Marcella. Played loud, to me it just rocks
petzounds29
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 01, 2013, 07:41:53 PM »

Isn't funny how Brian sounds perfectly natural singing Marcella after all these years of hearing Carl sing it   on record and in concert ? I remember a time in the late 70s and then again thru the whole Landy era when it was hard to imagine Brian recording a  NOTE  of new music  muchless  The road warrior he has become   and then recording the wealth of new music especially since 2000 -BWPS
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 21, 2013, 03:37:42 PM »

Carl rockin' Palisades Park.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
retrokid67
Smiley Smile Associate

Denny the Dream

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: December 21, 2013, 07:11:43 PM »

the beautiful vocal harmonies in "I'll be home for Christmas". that's my favorite song on the album.  for anyone who might know was it all 5 members on harmony or was it either brian, mike, carl, and denny or brian, mike, carl, and al?

"In this new day, change your heart.  Forgive your brother, for life is precious."

-Dennis Wilson
Les P
Smiley Smile Associate

Cheese Pizza and Apple Pie

View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 21, 2013, 07:40:25 PM »

It's About Time live '73 from MiC.  Wow...incredible rockin' from a pop vocal band'!!
Ken.W
Honored Guest

View Profile WWW
« Reply #385 on: December 22, 2013, 11:50:35 AM »

The isolated drum track from 'Its About Time'! Worthy of being put out officially  police

"You're entitled to protect your copyright. You're not entitled to control the Internet," - Federal Court Justice Murray Wilcox
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 22, 2013, 12:06:13 PM »

The outro to Christmas Day

"It's worth the wait the whole year through, just to make happy someone like you".

You're all nuts for voting off the survivor game

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 22, 2013, 01:22:52 PM »

The isolated drum track from 'Its About Time'! Worthy of being put out officially  police
That's a good thought.  Did you read the thread where Mark, in the new ESQ, was saying he had a whole "bonus" disc ready to roll full of just such backing and vocal only tracks?
Let it out already !!!

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 22, 2013, 01:30:32 PM »

"It's worth the wait the whole year through, just to make happy someone like you".

You've got that right.  I know it's down to a few classic tracks, but for me Christmas Day should have been in the final.  I need to go take a look, now The Man With All The Toys is taking a beating.
And while I'm here...Carl's Soulful Old Man Sunshine (MIC version) was one of the Big Hits from our Christmas party last night.

bluesno1fann
« Reply #389 on: December 22, 2013, 03:34:04 PM »

Morning Christmas is a complete masterpiece.
Little Saint Nick is a classic which you can't get enough of.
Merry Christmas Baby isn't too bad, but still better than Christmas Day.
Man With All The Toys I'd rank the same as Christmas Day, but I changed my vote because it looked like Christmas Day was going to lose.

I'd say Christmas Day should have gone even earlier, before Santa's Beard
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #390 on: December 23, 2013, 09:22:33 AM »

BW moment that's kicking my ass lately:

'Southern California', the whole song, but especially: "whoa whoa it's magical, living your dreams, don't want to sleep, you might miss something. Whoa whoa whoa it's magical, I'm glad it happened to me... nodded off in the band room, woke up in history."
I've heard SC many times but one day, several months ago, I was walking down the street with this song playing in my headphones, and for some reason I just cried. Now I listen to that song all the time and personally feel that if Brian Wilson's musical career had ended with this album and that song, I'd have been totally okay with that. 'Southern California' is a nice cap on things. From "surfin' is the only life, the only way for me" to "...and when you wake up here, you wake up everywhere. Maumamayama glory Hallelujah, oooooooh." 47 years.
Of course, I'm glad Brian got to make a few more albums, made a solid album with the Beach Boys and is working on more as we speak. But TLOS and 'Southern California' feels to me like the guy walking into the sunset at the end of the film.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #391 on: December 23, 2013, 11:23:41 AM »

I've heard SC many times but one day, several months ago, I was walking down the street with this song playing in my headphones, and for some reason I just cried. Now I listen to that song all the time and personally feel that if Brian Wilson's musical career had ended with this album and that song, I'd have been totally okay with that. 'Southern California' is a nice cap on things. From "surfin' is the only life, the only way for me" to "...and when you wake up here, you wake up everywhere. Maumamayama glory Hallelujah, oooooooh." 47 years.
Of course, I'm glad Brian got to make a few more albums, made a solid album with the Beach Boys and is working on more as we speak. But TLOS and 'Southern California' feels to me like the guy walking into the sunset at the end of the film.

Beautifully put, and you're right.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: December 23, 2013, 11:43:36 AM »

Morning Christmas is seriously one of the best Dennis tracks.. Something so sublime and special about that track. It's a shame that it's so underrated.

Some random musical moments that I really get a kick out of:
--

The "party" bridge part of Wonderful on Smiley that sounds like a bunch of people stoned and laughing

The very creepy yet relaxing sounding Baldwin organ on Fall Breaks

ending tag to Funky Pretty

Mt Vernon & Fairway piano/synth theme (I really wish there was a longer version of this without the narration than what is on the GV boxed set)

The synth bass on just about all of Love You, but to make an example, Let Us Go On This Way... I turn it up loud and crank up the bass. Must sound amazing on a subwoofer.

Bruce's tender lead vocals on At My Window. "And the faster I ran/I Ran out of breath and I fell to the ground". That part gets stuck in my head a lot. By far the best thing he did in the band.

The intro to Salt Lake City on the stereo remix (which was horribly cut off on the album version). That bass part that sounds like 2 bass players are harmonizing in unison is absolutely amazing.

Take 1 and 2 of Hang On To Your Ego backing track. The horns are more prominent in the verses. I prefer this version lately.

The organ on Do It Again. Also on the SOT, there is one version where you can only hear Mike's lead vocal and Brian's "Bom bom bom bom bom bom!" high falsetto vocal and at the very end Brian does a little variation ending with a really high "wooo!" that reminds me of what Paul Mccartney does on songs like "Oh! Darling" or something. Is is beautiful and worth checking out! Only lasts for like 2 seconds.

Brian's lead vocal on Here Comes The Night is perfect. Not sure what it is, it is just a perfect lead vocal.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #393 on: December 23, 2013, 12:43:32 PM »

That is a great vocal, contrast it with the disco version and you realize what a mistake it was to put that out.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #394 on: February 10, 2014, 03:22:27 AM »

On Smiley Smile, the moment when you drift off into the pleasant dream of the fadeout to Wind Chimes and then the intro to Gettin' Hungry snaps you awake like the blare of an alarm clock.

The organ on Do It Again. Also on the SOT, there is one version where you can only hear Mike's lead vocal and Brian's "Bom bom bom bom bom bom!" high falsetto vocal and at the very end Brian does a little variation ending with a really high "wooo!" that reminds me of what Paul Mccartney does on songs like "Oh! Darling" or something. Is is beautiful and worth checking out! Only lasts for like 2 seconds.

What is the SOT?  (All I can get out of it is Stack O' Tracks.)   Huh

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #395 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:25 AM »

On Smiley Smile, the moment when you drift off into the pleasant dream of the fadeout to Wind Chimes and then the intro to Gettin' Hungry snaps you awake like the blare of an alarm clock.

Sea of Tunes.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #396 on: February 10, 2014, 04:09:05 AM »

Sea of Tunes.

Ah, OK.  Not familiar with that one.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #397 on: February 10, 2014, 08:45:45 PM »

Sea of Tunes.

Ah, OK.  Not familiar with that one.

A bootleg label from the 90s that released multi-disc sets of recording sessions from specific albums compiled together as "The Alternate Party! Album" etc.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #398 on: February 10, 2014, 09:16:34 PM »

Carls vocals on "baby blue"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #399 on: February 10, 2014, 11:23:00 PM »

15BO backing tracks. I think last night's listening was the first time I really paid attention to "Palisades Park".
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx