gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680720 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 06:33:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165584 times)
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: January 22, 2013, 10:03:03 AM »

Dat bass on "Here She Comes".  Tip Toe
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: January 22, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »

I've been seriously diggin' "Down Home" by Spring recently. I think it could be interestingly covered to bring out the dream-pop-ness that Brian's (or David's?) arrangement seems to suggest. The synths, organ, flute, and wooden blocks really blend well together...
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #352 on: January 22, 2013, 02:40:36 PM »

Yeah, that one always stuck out as a good un on Spring, and I'm not very fond of that album really. Their voices suit the melancholy thing better than anything else, imo.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: January 22, 2013, 09:48:08 PM »

Yeah, there's a great little melancholy EP within that otherwise just-OK album! "Tennessee Waltz", "Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby", "Awake", "Sweet Mountain", "Down Home", and "Fallin' In Love" are all very good. I just wish Marilyn (or is it Diane?) could've hit the higher notes better.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: January 26, 2013, 12:08:25 PM »

"Cherry Cherry Coupe" is such a cool little song. I'd dare say it sounds almost Velvet Underground-y in its rhythm, had that group ever made car songs. LOL I dig Mike's (seemingly in a completely different melody?) bass vocals during the chorus too.
AndrewHickey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: January 26, 2013, 12:40:13 PM »

"Cherry Cherry Coupe" is such a cool little song. I'd dare say it sounds almost Velvet Underground-y in its rhythm, had that group ever made car songs. LOL I dig Mike's (seemingly in a completely different melody?) bass vocals during the chorus too.

Funny you should say that -- check out this pre-Velvets Lou Reed track: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYbCHKcT5Q0

This other one sounds a little more Velvety -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWG61CocCok
« Last Edit: January 26, 2013, 12:41:47 PM by AndrewHickey » Logged

The Smiley Smile ignore function: http://andrewhickey.info/the-smiley-smile-ignore-button-sort-of/
Most recent update 03/12/15
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #356 on: January 26, 2013, 04:39:19 PM »

I love that this thread has survived...

Right now, it's Heroes & Villains Part 2. Such wonderful, concentrated harmony, and the Prelude To Fade, which is incredible in all ways.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: January 27, 2013, 12:31:25 PM »

I've been listening to "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times", and I think I can finally here some of the Spanish backing vocals. I don't know why, I just love it when Spanish lyrics are put into songs like that.

Speaking of that, Cocktails is probably my favorite song from Bambu.

"porque no dice que quieres"

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 17, 2013, 06:32:55 PM »

Brian Wilson moment kicking my ass: 'God Only Knows' from the What Love Can Do single.

That is one of the most beautiful lead vocals I've ever heard.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 20, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »

Mike's bass vocals on "Got to know the women"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: March 20, 2013, 09:44:34 PM »

When the delayed bongo that acts like a snare in Caroline, No comes in on the "4" right before the 2nd verse. Subtle, but awesome production technique.
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: July 29, 2013, 07:41:01 AM »

Following Disney Boy's numerous positive comments about Viggie, I downloaded & listened to it. He was dead right - what a beautiful song that is indeed! Hands down the best song written by Mike, even surpasses Big Sur (3/4). Indian flutes, the bridge, the singing - all is idyllic! Traditionally, Native American theme rules!

1 wee note: at 1st glance I thought the title can be read like ['vigi], not ['veʤi].

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
RonBaker2003
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: July 29, 2013, 10:28:06 AM »

For me, it's "Going Home" from That Lucky Old Sun.  Was lots of fun seeing Brian, Al and David perform this in Kettering.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #363 on: September 27, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »

I'd hate to admit it, but ATM, it's "Looking Back With Love" by Mike Love.
As bad as it is, it often pops into my head. DAMN YOU MIKE LOVE!!!  Evil
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: September 27, 2013, 04:54:26 AM »

I'm really diggin' Brian Wilson - Your Imagination [A Capella]

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
bluesno1fann
« Reply #365 on: September 27, 2013, 06:10:24 AM »

Just thought of another two: "Maybe I Don't Know", and the disco remake of "Here Comes The Night". Unlike the first one I mentioned, the former actually is a good song.
silodweller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 01, 2013, 12:52:18 AM »

That moment when the theremin kicks in towards the end of "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times" and "sings" its melody line. 

"Carl broke his cigarette over his G string, we're sorry..."
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 01, 2013, 08:23:10 AM »

That very high keyboard sound in Child is the Father to the Man that takes place a few seconds before Surf's Up starts on Smile.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 01, 2013, 08:25:36 AM »

The "Pied Piper, I Better Get Back In Bed" part in Mount Vernon and Fairway. I can literally listen to it for hours and not get bored.  Grin

That part is why I can't get Lazy Lizzie out of my head.
jvcthome
Smiley Smile Associate

fear and loathing in the woodstock nation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #369 on: October 01, 2013, 08:27:38 AM »

The saxophone on It's OK. You can hear it so clearly on the MIC mix, and it indeed kicks ass.
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 01, 2013, 08:34:20 AM »

Let's Go To Heaven In My Car, Brians phrasing in the refrain.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 11, 2013, 06:19:37 AM »

Was just loving the whimsical vibe of the outro of 'Radio' whilst watching the song's music video...the song literally fades into the sunset.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 11, 2013, 07:22:16 AM »

Brian's lead on the alternate 'Don't Worry Baby' from MiC. I wish he would've recorded a double vocal of that.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: November 15, 2013, 01:01:15 AM »

The saxophone on It's OK. You can hear it so clearly on the MIC mix, and it indeed kicks ass.

Ha, I just came here to post THIS!  Agreed, the prominent sax on the tag is just honey.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: November 15, 2013, 01:05:26 AM »

Brian's drum machine bathed count-in to "Why Don't They Let Us Fall In Love".  Brian and Mike sound really good here, similar to "It's Just a Matter of Time".
Love Brian's lazy "duh-duh-duwuh-do"s!

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx