gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164704 times)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #325 on: October 28, 2012, 11:05:04 AM »

I know how you feel it's hard for me to pick a top 10 so imagine a top 5  Tongue
my list goes like this...

5. Surfer Girl
4. The Night was so Young
3. Please Let Me Wonder
2. Caroline No
1. Wouldn't It be Nice
Let me give my Top-5 too.

1. At My Window
2. Sloop John B
3. Good to My Baby
4. Help Me, Rhonda
5. Cabinessence
Very eclectic list Smiley
The outro to Cabinessence had to be one of the best outros ever recorded..the way it builds up while it fades away is just magical.
Good to My Baby is one of my mom's favorites.  Grin
I'm very surprised you put At My Window number 1 ..it's such a slept on song that many skip through..it's one of their 70's gems.
I also like your list, except for #4. Not to my taste, sorry.
You're right, Cabinessence's outro is what I like the best of the whole song.
Your mom's got good taste. What else she likes by The Beach Boys?
That's jolly cool you called At My Window one of The BBs' 70s gems! Can't disagree with that.
Thanks Smiley What is it about The Night Was So Young that you don't enjoy?
That's my favorite part as well ..when Mike keeps singing those repeating alliteration lines over and over again it almost feels like he's trying to hypnotize you with those words..then the beat keeps building (the horns come in) before it softly fades away it's almost like it's meant to play tricks on your mind and keep you wanting more but then it's gone.
She really does but she's really into mainstream Pop my dad is into all the experimental stuff..She listens to the Beatles,Beach Boys,Simon & Garfunkle and Elton John..He's more into Beach Boys (Pet Sounds/Smile), Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Nirvana,The Cure,Jimi Hendrix,The Doors,etc. How about yours?
Well it is .. I thought people on here would be raving about that beauty but it's still unsung..for the most part I can say it's one of my favorites on that album and their work from the 70's. I enjoy those obscure songs and this is one that needs more attention but the fact that it's lesser known makes it even more special to me. I'm content with it's status in their catalog. (A latent gem)

Simon & Garfunkel are my third favorite artists, right behind the Beach Boys, and Bob Dylan.
Their music is ok to me but I never got off into them the way my mother has..Art has a lovely voice but damn Simon wrote so fuckin amazing tunes..I'm just not into folk music.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #326 on: October 28, 2012, 11:13:46 AM »

I know how you feel it's hard for me to pick a top 10 so imagine a top 5  Tongue

5. Surfer Girl
3. Please Let Me Wonder
2. Caroline No
1. Wouldn't It be Nice

1. At My Window
2. Sloop John B
3. Good to My Baby
4. Help Me, Rhonda
5. Cabinessence
The outro to Cabinessence had to be one of the best outros ever recorded..the way it builds up while it fades away is just magical.
I'm very surprised you put At My Window number 1 ..it's such a slept on song that many skip through..it's one of their 70's gems.
That's jolly cool you called At My Window one of The BBs' 70s gems! Can't disagree with that.
That's my favorite part as well ..when Mike keeps singing those repeating alliteration lines over and over again it almost feels like he's trying to hypnotize you with those words..then the beat keeps building (the horns come in) before it softly fades away it's almost like it's meant to play tricks on your mind and keep you wanting more but then it's gone.
She really does but she's really into mainstream Pop my dad is into all the experimental stuff..She listens to the Beatles,Beach Boys,Simon & Garfunkle and Elton John..He's more into Beach Boys (Pet Sounds/Smile), Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Nirvana,The Cure,Jimi Hendrix,The Doors,etc. How about yours?
Well it is .. I thought people on here would be raving about that beauty but it's still unsung..for the most part I can say it's one of my favorites on that album and their work from the 70's. I enjoy those obscure songs and this is one that needs more attention but the fact that it's lesser known makes it even more special to me. I'm content with it's status in their catalog. (A latent gem)

Simon & Garfunkel are my third favorite artists, right behind the Beach Boys, and Bob Dylan.
Their music is ok to me but I never got off into them the way my mother has..Art has a lovely voice but damn Simon wrote so f***in amazing tunes..I'm just not into folk music.

'The Only Living Boy In New York' is one of my favorite songs ever. However, the rest of S&G's catalogue fails to impress me...I've tried for years to get into their music, I just can't seem to.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #327 on: October 28, 2012, 11:20:24 AM »

5. Surfer Girl
3. Please Let Me Wonder
2. Caroline No
1. Wouldn't It be Nice

1. At My Window
2. Sloop John B
3. Good to My Baby
4. Help Me, Rhonda
5. Cabinessence

Their music is ok to me but I never got off into them the way my mother has..Art has a lovely voice but damn Simon wrote so f***in amazing tunes..I'm just not into folk music.

'The Only Living Boy In New York' is one of my favorite songs ever. However, the rest of S&G's catalogue fails to impress me...I've tried for years to get into their music, I just can't seem to.
That's a wonderful song.
I don't like all of their stuff, mostly just the acoustic stuff. I'm a huge fan of Kathy's Song, April Come She Will, The Dangling Conversation, and Song For The Asking. And, For Emily, Whenever I May Find Her is one of my favorite songs ever. A perfect love song.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #328 on: October 28, 2012, 11:34:13 AM »

By their last two albums, "folk" wouldn't be an apt phrase to describe their music. I think even fans who don't prefer the Sounds of Silence/I Am A Rock era S&G would probably find much to like in the Bookends and Bridge era of S&G.

One you probably have heard but may have not. I hear a lot of Magical Mystery Tour (album) influence in this track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft7mUK29GY8

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #329 on: October 29, 2012, 12:48:15 AM »

From There To Back Again. Just...all of it. I consider it Al Jardine's finest moment as a Beach Boy, autotune and Help Me Rhonda, be damned!  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #330 on: October 29, 2012, 01:02:51 AM »

Top 5:

Wouldn't It Be Nice
Don't Worry Baby
Surf's Up
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 29, 2012, 01:37:58 AM »

Top 5:

Wouldn't It Be Nice
Don't Worry Baby
Surf's Up
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
That's a evened out list Smiley has the very soft ballads and also has the up tempo hits. You can't go wrong with any of those songs..
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 29, 2012, 02:10:37 AM »

Top 5:

Wouldn't It Be Nice
Don't Worry Baby
Surf's Up
Good Vibrations
Sloop John B
That's a evened out list Smiley has the very soft ballads and also has the up tempo hits. You can't go wrong with any of those songs..

Thanks!  It works for me.  Smiley
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 29, 2012, 06:01:39 AM »

5. Surfer Girl
3. Please Let Me Wonder
2. Caroline No
1. Wouldn't It be Nice

1. At My Window
2. Sloop John B
3. Good to My Baby
4. Help Me, Rhonda
5. Cabinessence
She really does but she's really into mainstream Pop my dad is into all the experimental stuff..She listens to the Beatles,Beach Boys,Simon & Garfunkel and Elton John..He's more into Beach Boys (Pet Sounds/Smile), Led Zeppelin,Pink Floyd,Nirvana,The Cure,Jimi Hendrix,The Doors,etc. How about yours?
The melody & Carl's vocs. There's sth. in his voice, like him being ill or worn out. Specially I don't like the "Why she has to hi-i-iiide" etc. lines, it's maybe the worst vocal moments by Carl.
That's quite a poetic description of Cabinessence outro, I'd say. Well done, Newguy!
My mom is also into mainstream pop, though she's into jazz & classical music as well. Her favorite band is The Eagles, but she digs also late Pink Floyd & Elton John. Other than that, she doesn't like the 60s & 70s English-speaking artists. Mostly she listens to our local groups & singers plus French artists, such as Dalida, Edith Piaf, Charles Aznavour etc. Generally, she likes all the French-related things, beginning with the language (which I'll never understand: imo it's one of the most overrated languages in the world) & ending with fashion. As for my dad, he doesn't know anyone from the 60s (except for The Beatles, of course, who didn't hear about them), he's mainly a fan of the 70s music, f.ex., Styx, Tom Waits, ELO.
I enjoy BBs' obscure songs too! Btw, can you list your faves? As for me, along with At My Window, I like Funky Pretty, Island Girl, Lookin' At Tomorrow, Take A Load off Your Feet & so on. Speaking of At My Window, I agree that its obscure status makes the song more special. "A latent gem" - I wouldn't say it better than this. Nice one, Newguy! 
Undecided I actually love Carl's vocals on that song it's one of my favorites and besides that sweet guitar lick it was one of the first things I noticed.
Thank you I'm horrible at describing ...well mostly everything ..lol but man I love that song so much..it's funny because Mike didn't get the song because he was sober well I'm sober right now and I absolutely love it I don't what's his problem!! lol Mike has an ear for hits but not for experimental music like this.
Wow your mom has a few things in common with mines (on the music side) and yes my mother is heavy into fashion as well....Most women are lol..Her favorite group are the Bealtes then it's the Eagles..When I was a baby inside her stomach she would play the beatles for me everyday. (she said I'd move around alot so I guess even back then I recognized beautiful music. lol)
My favorites hmmm that's tough there are so many I enjoy.  Tongue Ok these aren't all obscure cuts like yours (which I might add are wonderful..you have great taste but I already knew that because your on this message board so that's evident.) lol
It's also great to see Funky Pretty and Island girl on your list...mines would have to be That's not me,I'm So Young,Be with Me,Do it Again,Child is the father of the man (that bass makes me melt every time I hear it) Those are just a few off top but I have a few oddities that stand out that I enjoy like Lana,Little Saint Nick,Graduation Day,A Thing or Two,Busy Doin Nothin,etc.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 29, 2012, 11:21:01 AM »

That's a great story, Newguy! Seems like you had a good taste for music even when you weren't born. Almost all of the BBs songs you mentioned are my favorites, esp. I love That's Not Me. Very underrated beauty. What a cool guitar interplay & vocal trade-off between Mike & Brian! And organ! Wow, just wow.
Thank you Smiley..I love the way the song fades away too while Mike is still singing..his voice was perfect for that song and as much as I love Brian..Mike got him on that song..
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 30, 2012, 10:12:08 PM »

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. The "da, da da da" part in the Smile version of Wonderful knocks me out every time. It's like the flute in God Only Knows. It's there for only a split second, but absolutely essential to the song.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 01, 2012, 09:56:53 AM »

'Love You' album!

What's kicking my ass right now is that damn awful piece of recording (I reviewed it in the album's section) and how stupidly amazing it is. Particularly 'Honkin' down the highway' and 'Airplane'...everything around the former, Brian's falsetto in the latter.

How good is a band, how genius is a man when even at their lowest you find such gems? I play guitar, try to sing sometimes, and there's a vibe to Al's singing in HDTH that's country, rock, pop, cliche, nonsese, perfection all at once. To be honest, he's my fav singer in the band (along with Brian sometimes). Really consistent but with great style flexibility, his folky take can rock when he wants to. Heard him during the Montreal show this summer, still has the best voice of them all  Smiley

And I don't know my obsession with 'Airplane'. Man, I mean, for this kind of stuff people get institutionalized...this an Justin Bieber, but at least here there might be a case for treatment and eventually a cure  LOL but not sure if I want to be cured. Every time I hear Brian's soaring voice, there's a harshness to that falsetto that it's as beautiful as anything he did in the past - in a dark, creepy, cool kind of way. That kicks my butt every single time.

So, thanks Smiley Smile board for 'directing' me to this album...psychiatric treatment is at least covered by Quebec's social security, pas de problème  Razz

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 01, 2012, 10:22:49 AM »

The echo-drenched "silence" in Good Vibrations, after the big "aaaahh!"

i listened to it on the way to work this morning. My heart nearly jumped out my mouth.
DM
Junebug
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 01, 2012, 11:17:21 AM »

Getcha Back.

Always kind of liked it but it came up on shuffle last week and , i must've just been in the mood , i was absolutely loving it, fantastic. Been O.D. ing on it since. Class.

(Brians singing in the background as well, wow !)
schiaffino
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #339 on: November 02, 2012, 08:14:11 AM »

Particularly 'Honkin' down the highway' and 'Airplane'...everything around the former, Brian's falsetto in the latter.

How good is a band, how genius is a man when even at their lowest you find such gems? I play guitar, try to sing sometimes, and there's a vibe to Al's singing in HDTH that's country, rock, pop, cliche, nonsese, perfection all at once. To be honest, he's my fav singer in the band (along with Brian sometimes). Really consistent but with great style flexibility, his folky take can rock when he wants to. Heard him during the Montreal show this summer, still has the best voice of them all  Smiley

And I don't know my obsession with 'Airplane'. Every time I hear Brian's soaring voice, there's a harshness to that falsetto that it's as beautiful as anything he did in the past - in a dark, creepy, cool kind of way.

You just named 2 of my favorites on LY. I like these songs for exactly the same reasons as you. Though I reckon Mike did fabulous vocals on Airplane too. As for Honkin' Down The Highway, well, that's something of description, I agree with every single word of it. Also I agree with you re Al's singing, he IS the best voice of them all! It's axiom.
Btw, good to hear you caught one of The BBs' magnificent shows this summer. That must've been very cool to hear them live.

Really glad to hear I'm not the only one  Wink

The concert was amazing! It was Brian's birthday that day, the crowd sang for him and it was very, very moving. I obviously ended up voice-less from all the singing, screaming. The first part was good, really liked the car-theme ending (never a fan of those songs, sounded great live). But for me the show-stealer were the tributes to Dennis & Carl...more than 10-15k Montrealers crying at the same time (only the Habs have managed that with their awful last seasons).

Anyways, it was a beautiful experience. I took some pics, will try to share them in a separate post.

Cheers  Smiley

"Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray...it might come true
Baby then there wouldn't be a single thing we couldn't do..."
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 05, 2012, 04:03:17 AM »

I strongly encourage everyone to listen to the ending of Long Tall Texan on Concert LP. My god, it's almost free jazz! Brian giving his all on bass and Mike adding some tasteful (but unfortunately rather distant) saxophone notes. Might be even the closest thing Brian ever got playing a bass solo on record. Such a great moment! Brian shreds!

...kinda reminds me of Cassius Love vs Sonny Wilson. "We have a show this weekend and we could be sharper, so whaddaya say we go over the ending of Little Deuce Coupe Long Tall Texan one more time."

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 09, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

The last minute of Pitter Patter.

MIU is insanely unappreciated.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 09, 2012, 12:21:58 PM »

I'm totally digging on At My Window right now!

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #343 on: January 08, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »

The end of "Surfers Rule," when the Boys are singing "Four Seasons, you better believe it" and Brian is belting out the falsetto part from "Walk Like a Man."   Cool

Not sure how much of a real rivalry there was between the BB's and the FS's, but one of those TV-movies had Murry berating Brian for not being able to match Frankie Valli's chart position.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
gfac22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: January 08, 2013, 01:29:29 PM »

Todays it's been 'Drip Drop.'  Don't ask me why, I know it's ridiculous, but for some reason I just can't get enough of it.
veryape
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:46 PM »

our team !!!

cant get enough of this track
Paulos
« Reply #346 on: January 09, 2013, 12:04:30 PM »

our team !!!

cant get enough of this track

Even though I haven't heard this song in ages and have probably only ever listened to it around 5 times, I found myself singing it in the shower yesterday.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #347 on: January 09, 2013, 01:40:25 PM »

I'm totally digging on At My Window right now!

The "He came to my window" part never fails to give me chills..

Some of the best harmonies the boys ever recorded

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #348 on: January 13, 2013, 04:20:02 PM »

Now it's that moment in "Hushabye" right at the end of the middle eight, when the vocals are all gone and there's just the piano and bass (IIRC) and it sounds pregnant with anticipation.

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
FUN³
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #349 on: January 14, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »

palmer and dragon killin it on "Its about time"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyx_KxEAbck !!!!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx