gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:15:48 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164789 times)
sidewinder572
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 16, 2012, 12:34:25 PM »

That part on Smile when someone sings "Geronimo leaps and bounds over the dustbowl"

What does it mean?
Domino
Smiley Smile Associate

Hypnotize me, Van Dyke

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 16, 2012, 02:09:47 PM »

The outro of Sweet Mountain by American Spring

the best part is when Brian sings "well it rained on the mountain, the mountain of love"
It's so subtle because his voice was just starting to change (he almost sounds like on the Mt.Vernon EP, same croaky voice, beautiful for this song!)

Amazing! Are there any more moments like this with Brian on The American Spring album? Love to hear his voice in this period.

Brian on why he loves God Only Knows: "Because Paul McCartney said it was his favourite song"

"New rule: Having anything to do with the creation of a punk rawk version of "All You Need Is Love" (never with the horn part because lol hornz are silly and dumb) gets you the death penalty. No questions, no trial, it's your fault, pick out your coffin." - runnersdialzero
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 16, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

I gotta say: it's been very hard to get the chorus of TWGMTR out of my head.

It felt kinda slight at first, but damn, it truly gets under my skin. And makes me think good thoughts.

Pet Sounds, mind you, didn't grab me out of the gate either--some things take time. Often, the good things in particular.
Sie W
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 16, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »

On the train journey home tonight got Into "Rock and Roll To The Rescue" never gave the track much credit until today don't know why but Brian got in my ear...
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 19, 2012, 09:04:25 PM »

"My love is burnin' brightly
My moon and stars shine nightly"

The harmonies on those line are just amazing.  I have listened to this song about 20 times today.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 21, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »

It's hot in LA this week, and Dennis' 'Bambu' is my soundtrack.

Tonight, the moment I can't let go of is from Cocktail--the part that builds to the crescendo where Dennis sings "why...won't you say you love me? Oh, oh no..."

That album overwhelms me today--it's the kind of thing that forces me to admit that there's nothing coming out today that can do this kind of thing to me. It's joyous and crushing at the same time.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 21, 2012, 09:19:18 PM »

the bass right after the bridge for "that's why god made the radio".  i love that bass lick, so good. 
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 31, 2012, 06:41:36 AM »

The bass on I'll Bet He's Nice. Listening to the vinyl, with a subwoofer boosting the bass lines, it sounds incredible. The production really comes into its own on the 2nd side I think. Just sparse and beautiful - the little staccato punches of drums and synth  Brian's Trip

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Gohi
« Reply #233 on: May 31, 2012, 06:55:38 AM »

The section before the last chorus on "This Whole World."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: June 02, 2012, 07:22:59 PM »

The Brian piano demo of "I'll Bet He's Nice" in which Mike loses his Gosh Darn mind over how good it is. You listen to it and realize if you were there, you'd be exclaiming in the exact same manner because it's so good. So cool to hear.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Al Jardine: Pick Up Artist
Smiley Smile Associate

I am an asexual walrus

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: June 02, 2012, 07:43:14 PM »

Where the piano and drums kick in on Love to Say Dada.

Which song: Inappropriate relationship with sister-in-law

Which song: Gonna straight up bang you with "the wood".

Which song: Weather conditions make me horny

Which song: Lack of proper shoes leads to potential blood poisoning and death.

Which song: Who needs church? Let's do it on the couch.

Dennis: "Holy sh*t, Al, you're finally showing signs of developing facial hair!!!"
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: June 06, 2012, 01:48:29 PM »

I'm gonna now say the part of "Shelter" that goes:
Do you still ever think of me/and the way that we used to be/when the world was just you and me/hanging out in our shelter

This just kills me. This conjures up the same exact transcendent vibe as "Don't Worry Baby", "When I Grow Up to Be a Man", and maybe "Let Him Run Wild" but with a middleaged bittersweetness that is so incredibly true. What a perfect little section.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: June 06, 2012, 02:06:19 PM »

All of PCH.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 06, 2012, 02:55:40 PM »

All of PCH.

... as posted in another thread, this song broke me like no other Beach Boys song ever did before.

That final word... Gut-wrenching in a way I thought only Dennis Wilson knew how to wrench. Cataclysmic, no-return stuff. Very hard to take.

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 06, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »

All of PCH.

... as posted in another thread, this song broke me like no other Beach Boys song ever did before.

That final word... Gut-wrenching in a way I thought only Dennis Wilson knew how to wrench. Cataclysmic, no-return stuff. Very hard to take.

YEPP. This song is like NO other I've heard. It's fantastic.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: June 06, 2012, 03:11:05 PM »

Kicking my ass right now ? as in this very moment ?

Well its got to be the 'Rolling Stone' acoustic mini-set   Shocked
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 07, 2012, 05:09:54 PM »

The bridge of Cuddle Up.  I had never heard this song until today and as I was playing through the album on my way to work, I wasn't really paying attention to the song much until the strings and piano in the bridge started playing.  My eyes welled up and I was floored.  Now I am listening on my good home system, and it's really amazing.  This is the first Dennis song that I 'get'.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 07, 2012, 05:22:27 PM »

Hell yes, that's a fantastic track. That was my gateway drug into the world of Dennis, along with, strangely, the "Barbara" demo(s).
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: June 07, 2012, 05:29:14 PM »

I'm just glad Stamos never covered it. LOL
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 07, 2012, 06:27:42 PM »

the french horn in shelter.  and brian's syncopated vocals.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 07, 2012, 06:50:49 PM »

If only Murry had been around to show Brian how to do those syncopated vocals.
Catbirdman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 07, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »

I hadn't listened to Dennis' "Tug Of Love" much before. As soon as I pressed play, those first chords - right up to where Dennis starts singing, I could have sworn I was listening to a Cocteau Twins track. But what kills me is the juxtaposition of a Mike Love-style bass vocal line in the chorus, cutting right in on the pre-shoegaze vibe. And then that part just before the fade!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 06:58:59 PM by Catbirdman » Logged

My real name is Peter Aaron Beyer. I live in Baltimore, Maryland, USA.
Eireannach
Smiley Smile Associate

bedårar

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 08, 2012, 05:21:28 PM »

The bridge of the studio version of Love and Mercy after the pause.  The vocals there are so wonderful.  It's like the bridge of The Whole World, but slowed down.
jet without wings
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2012, 06:50:17 PM »

Two instrumental segments always kick my ass. 1st, the middle section on "here today"leading up to where Brian says "top" and the organ segment right after. Also love the middle section on "leaving this town." Very heady
Jet Without Wings
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 09, 2012, 06:58:09 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSf4EYeJ_s0
At 3:07 with the whistling and all, it just gets really stuck into my head for a while.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx