gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:47:17 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165669 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2010, 08:47:43 PM »

The one i've been listening to lately though is "California Girls", specifically the drums.  They're incredible.  From the time they come into the song, all the way through they're just some of the greatest drums I've ever heard. 
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2010, 01:23:14 AM »

"Slip On Through" - just discovered the group's buried background vocal chorus while listening to the song's backing track at youtube. This is just amazing, I'm sure they could've made two songs out of this if they'd wanted to.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »

Oh boy you jump for joy
(When you breakaway)
Feel the vibrations
In all the sensations
Breakaway

Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 31, 2010, 11:06:17 AM »

Just remembered my favorite. The 'AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" at the end of GV just before the chorus kicks in again. To me, that may be the defining moment for the band.

I always turn the radio all the way up, just for a second, right after that... becuase if you do, you can hear the reverb of all of their voices echoing in the silence.  It sounds like just complete silence, but if you turn it way up, you can hear this really HEAVY echo from what they just sang, it's friggin' incredible.  I mean INCREDIBLE, try it next time you hear it... just be sure to turn it right back down or it'll blow your speakers when the music comes back in, lol.   You've heard it enough, you can time it right Smiley

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I've totally done this before as well.  You're right, it's absolutely f*cking incredible!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2010, 05:39:16 PM »

The one i've been listening to lately though is "California Girls", specifically the drums.  They're incredible.  From the time they come into the song, all the way through they're just some of the greatest drums I've ever heard. 
And, if you listen to the single version mix on Greatest Hits Vol. 1 or the stereo version on the first release of Endless Harmony, you hear the drums more up front throughout the song.  Also, they both have the longer fade, which includes the drum fills. It is great fun to listen to; Hal is just terrific on CG.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2010, 12:21:26 AM »

"Slip On Through" - just discovered the group's buried background vocal chorus while listening to the song's backing track at youtube. This is just amazing, I'm sure they could've made two songs out of this if they'd wanted to.

I never used to be much of a fan of 'Slip on Through' until I heard the backing instrumental track on 'Get The Boot'. It's friggin' awesome!! Like something off 'Pet Sounds' played in a heavier Latin rock style. Now off to youtube to check out the backing vocal track you mentioned!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 01, 2010, 05:44:13 AM »

So glad you brought up the 'Slip on Through' backing track. I remember being in an alternate state of mind and got to REALLY listen what was going on, and I got to fully appreciate what was going on in the background. It ended up being a favorite that moment, and I listened to it all the time, each time finding something new.

I'm listening to the backing track on youtube, and just WOW...though it always bring me back to the eternal question...brian or alan?  Ahhh!

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 01, 2010, 08:20:55 PM »

The descending guitar behind the final vocal lines of "In the Back of My Mind".
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 01, 2010, 09:14:55 PM »

The whole Friends LP is really driving me wild.  There's something about the breezy California acid rock of the late 60s that's really great. Just the whole band chilling making music and having fun.
Plus Mike wasn't there for most of it!

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
Surfing Moose
Smiley Smile Associate

violation of §12: failing to surf...

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2010, 09:15:02 AM »

The organ solo at ther near end of Wendy.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 02, 2010, 11:07:12 AM »

The rough 'n' ready Beach Boys demo for "River Song" esp that frantic percussion at the end. Shows you in 3 mins what the group shoulda/coulda been in the second half of the seventies.

Those errie, yet hauntingly beautiful "Ooohs" Carl sings during the middle eight for "Baby Blue Eyes".

That damn near demonic, freaky whirling violins and thumping bass on "Fire" - seriously if Brian was walking round with tunes like that floating around his brain it's no wonder he was near ready for the rubber room.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 02, 2010, 01:19:25 PM »

It's not really kicking my ass per-say, but I do think it's funny the way Brian was able to sing "tell us the name of your favorite vegetable" with such conviction, like he was singing something that wasn't totally goofy.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2010, 11:59:36 PM »

The opening of I Got Plenty O' Nuttin' made me nearly crack up for some reason. It reminds  me so much of SMiLE, like Cabin Essence. I've never listened to Gershwin, mind you. I know, I know. Bad me. There's plenty of artists I need to listen to or find more of. And I'll do that... as soon as I get a HDD.  Cool Guy
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2010, 12:17:00 AM »

I've been practicing some Beach Boys songs on bass and what's been kicking my ass currently is the ending of "Pom Pom Play Girl".
The way the chords change at the end is so odd to me, but so so cool. Still trying to figure it out!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Paulos
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2010, 11:44:41 AM »

The opening of I Got Plenty O' Nuttin' made me nearly crack up for some reason. It reminds  me so much of SMiLE, like Cabin Essence. I've never listened to Gershwin, mind you. I know, I know. Bad me. There's plenty of artists I need to listen to or find more of. And I'll do that... as soon as I get a HDD.  Cool Guy

I thought the exact same thing about 'I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'', very SMiLE-esque.
Curtis Leon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »

I thought the exact same thing about 'I Got Plenty O' Nuttin'', very SMiLE-esque.

Indeed. I think it might be my current favorite song off the album, but my tastes change like the Missouri weather, so you can never know.  LOL
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2010, 08:02:18 PM »

It's not exactly Beach Boys, but I LOVE the piano leading into the big drum roll, followed by Marylin belting out "Ariiiiise, ariiiiise, my darling...". Gets me every time.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
SG7
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2010, 10:34:58 AM »

The tag ending of "The Like in I Love You."
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2010, 02:33:54 PM »

The ending tag of "I Got Rhythm".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2010, 12:12:59 PM »

The chorus instrumental of Good Vibrations. If you have a subwoofer, crank it up as high as it can go....make the EQ bass heavy, and play it as loud as possible....I just realized how amazing the bass lines are in that song and I pissed off a few neighbors in the process lol.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2010, 09:54:08 PM »

The final "and I went...to...sleep" in "I Went to Sleep"

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2010, 12:33:49 PM »

Listening to 'Shortnin' Bread' for the second time in a row. Putting it on repeat for the remainder of the afternoon.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2010, 01:41:39 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvONx1Oxhs&feature=related

Does anyone know if that's Brian playing?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2010, 04:04:36 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAvONx1Oxhs&feature=related

Does anyone know if that's Brian playing?

Sounds to me like the way he hits the keys.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2010, 05:07:54 PM »

Sounds to me like the way he hits the keys.

It's funny. I think if Brian would record his songs like this with a few instrumental overdubs and some vocals, people would love it. It's better than Brian making vague suggestions and people guessing what he would have wanted had he said that in the 60s. I'd rather hear what Brian is capable of today. You don't need 10-20 instruments to make a good song. We all know that. His piano says so much here, way more than some arrangements on TLOS do.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx