gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:12:30 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 165737 times)
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #475 on: January 08, 2015, 07:59:11 PM »

What is it that was missing?!?!

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #476 on: January 08, 2015, 08:16:42 PM »

The background aaahs that start at 2:30.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #477 on: January 08, 2015, 09:02:46 PM »

As soon as you hear them, you'll know instantly if that's the same version you've been hearing all along (meaning you have been listening to the original 1988 issue or corrected 2000 version), or if they are suddenly new-sounding (meaning you've been listening to the incorrect, originally-issued 2000 version, as I was for ages)... if the latter is the case, you'll have a wonderful surprise when you hear em.

As if the end fade of Melt Away couldn't get any better, those aaahs take it up yet another notch. Criminally sloppy for the wrong master to have been used like that on such a rad song. Slightly more understandable for the MIU masters 1990 version mixup perhaps, but Melt Away is near the apex of Brian's solo career and deserves respect.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 09:16:17 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #478 on: January 08, 2015, 09:08:07 PM »

Was it ever reissued without the bonus tracks?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #479 on: January 09, 2015, 12:56:05 AM »

Seriously... has anyone else played the Singles box all at once?  It's hard to do if you don't have it loaded digitally, I suppose.

Only once... and many years ago. Guess I have to try that again.  Smiley

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: January 09, 2015, 04:52:12 AM »

As soon as you hear them, you'll know instantly if that's the same version you've been hearing all along (meaning you have been listening to the original 1988 issue or corrected 2000 version), or if they are suddenly new-sounding (meaning you've been listening to the incorrect, originally-issued 2000 version, as I was for ages)... if the latter is the case, you'll have a wonderful surprise when you hear em.

As if the end fade of Melt Away couldn't get any better, those aaahs take it up yet another notch. Criminally sloppy for the wrong master to have been used like that on such a rad song. Slightly more understandable for the MIU masters 1990 version mixup perhaps, but Melt Away is near the apex of Brian's solo career and deserves respect.
All the versions I can find online are aaah-less. Has anyone had better luck?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #481 on: January 09, 2015, 01:07:24 PM »

I don't think I have ever heard the version you are talking about.  I bought my copy of Melt Away from iTunes about a year or two ago.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 09, 2015, 01:10:37 PM »

I don't think I have ever heard the version you are talking about.  I bought my copy of Melt Away from iTunes about a year or two ago.

Well, you're in for a treat when you do eventually hear it Wink

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 09, 2015, 02:36:36 PM »

"I Write the Songs" from Knebworth... the audience gets REALLY into it. Say what you will about Bruce, but he got everyone in the audience singing along with him for the chorus. And he dedicated it to Dennis!  Shocked

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2015, 08:36:01 PM »

The part of the "Rhonda" session where Murry says he got drunk and the guys say a lot of stuff and Mike says "Murry." in a really, really concerned voice. The concern in his voice is just so real.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: January 29, 2015, 01:21:41 PM »

Surfin' USA, Analogue Productions reissue, Mono, Vinyl.

It's very, very nice.  Farmer's Daughter will give you a woody.

Misirlou rocks even more, seriously, it blew me away - Lana may have a minorly extended fade (just half a bar maybe), I'll A/B it l8r, don't want to suggest it's something never heard before.

Let's go Trippin' is on now, the sax line comes through nicely against the bass and the rythm section - as above, nice stuff.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:24:34 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Tablevega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: January 29, 2015, 01:59:56 PM »

Let Him Run Wild on Stack o' Tracks.  Revelatory.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: January 29, 2015, 04:25:31 PM »

Here Comes the Night as have discovered two things recently:
-It has an organ through most of the track. Not just at the end of each chorus.

-The group sings a melody to the chords at the end of each chorus. Very hard to hear.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: February 25, 2015, 07:40:31 AM »

"We're Together Again" (playing in my mind), partlcularly (but not exclusively) the stunning use of upward modulation and the fade-out with its warmer chords.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
dcowboys107
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 02, 2015, 12:29:33 PM »

Just discovered that you can hear Brian singing in the tag fade in "Marcella."  (Left channel around 3:00 in).

I kind of like the sound of his voice even though it's not his normal "healthy voice."  I think he's saying "hmm/oo Marcella."

I think he changes the vowel sound but it sounds like Brian during that time (it does sound a bit like Dennis though).
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #490 on: March 06, 2015, 05:36:11 AM »

Kickin' my ASS?  I'm Waiting For the Day.  friggin' G R E A T.  Mssterful arrangement and performances...  You almost NEED Let's Go Away For Awhile just to let the power of the previous song settle.  I've heard that song SO many times over these past [almost] 49 years.  It just never ceases to amaze, entertain, satiate and NAIL 'it'.

My poor ass. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Mendota Heights
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 06, 2015, 05:37:31 AM »

My Love Lives On.

I have been dubbed Mr. Pet Sounds and Mr. Country Love by polite and honored board member Smile Brian. I hope I live up to those esteemed titles.
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #492 on: March 06, 2015, 05:52:53 AM »

And the album rolls on. I Just Wasn't Made For These Times has once again rendered my poor bottom incapable of use.  I'd better stand.  [and salute the Boys]  GREAT stuff.  Again...you need an instrumental in order to recouperate.  Magnificent.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
job
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 06, 2015, 07:36:18 AM »

This late-70's playlist I made:

It’s O.K.
Love Surrounds me
She’s Got Rhythm
Pitter Patter
Solar System
Goin’ South
Good Time
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
My Diane
Good Timin’
Angel Come Home
Everyone’s In Love With You
Mona
Baby Blue
Let Us Go On This Way
Had To Phone Ya
Match Point of Our Love
The Night Was So Young
Kona Coast
Full Sail
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #494 on: March 06, 2015, 04:45:42 PM »

Really good list job, although admittedly you have 2 of my least favorite Beach Boy songs on there (Full Sail and Goin South)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: March 08, 2015, 12:36:56 PM »

The background harmony towards the end of Breakaway. There was an extended version of just that on one of the Sea of Tunes releases I think, I haven't heard it in years. Anyone know if it's on YouTube? Honestly one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: March 08, 2015, 02:18:55 PM »

The background harmony towards the end of Breakaway. There was an extended version of just that on one of the Sea of Tunes releases I think, I haven't heard it in years. Anyone know if it's on YouTube? Honestly one of the most beautiful things I've ever heard.

Do you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX_cjYr3yl0

elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: March 08, 2015, 06:39:55 PM »

Do you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX_cjYr3yl0

YES!  Cheesy Thank you so much.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: March 24, 2015, 07:56:05 PM »

When Brian sings "We should stay 'til the end". 
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 28, 2015, 08:24:23 PM »

The part in "We'll Run Away" where Brian sings "anyhowwww" so beautifully twisted and going into a heavenly kind of modulation, at roughly 1:44 in the song.

Gives me chills, as do the chord changes happening at this part... so quickly do these brilliant changes go by, and you just want to hear them again right away.

Magical part on a really underrated song, and a superb BW vocal overall.

Looking through this thread randomly, and I couldn't agree more with this post.

A gorgeous song and an absolutely underrated gem. The exact part of the song referenced in this post is the one that gets me every single time.

The sudden change at 1:49 is also genius.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 08:27:15 PM by Rocket » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx