gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:47:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Specific Beach Boys Musical Moment That Is Kicking Your Ass Right Now  (Read 164672 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 12, 2011, 03:34:37 AM »

Dennis singing Bruce Johnston's part at the end of "God Only Knows" from the 1972 Carnegie show.

Hell yes at this.

Backing up the Stevie love as well. Such a neat, in the pocket song. I suppose it's somewhat hedonistic origins effectively vetoed it for inclusion in BB's 85.... Crazy bastards.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Dave Modny
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 12, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »

The "doo-do doo-do doo-do-do fly away" tag at the end of "At My Window." Always ass-kicking and freakin' amazing! It's also somewhat ironic to me that the song that tends to get some of the least overall respect on Sunflower (okay...maybe "Tears" has that honor, too) *might* have the album's greatest single moment.

And at that moment...all is well in the universe.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 10:16:34 AM by DaveM » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2011, 07:30:23 PM »

Disney Girls from the paramount live box recordings.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2011, 03:35:50 PM »

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that "Don't Worry Baby" off The Beach Boys in Concert is the greatest live performance of any song ever performed. Every solitary second of that recording is kicking my ass right now.
stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2011, 03:41:03 PM »

I don't think I'd be wrong in saying that "Don't Worry Baby" off The Beach Boys in Concert is the greatest live performance of any song ever performed. Every solitary second of that recording is kicking my ass right now.

Aw yeah. One of the few albums I don't own so I find myself listening to it on YouTube pretty frequently.

No mas, por favor.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

'Don't Worry Baby' from Concert is a fantastic recording...not my favorite live song by them, but it certainly is beautiful.

Live at Knebworth 1980 is my favorite live album by them - there is so much energy in that recording. I need to get the DVD of that soon.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2011, 06:23:04 PM »

Disney Girls from the paramount live box recordings.

My reply;  parts of that 93 box set  live tour are the best BB moments for me these days.  Not all of it but there are some very special parts.......
The owners of this material need to package and release it.      Call it the anniversary box tapes.....no need to say WHICH anniv!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2011, 08:37:00 PM »

Aw yeah. One of the few albums I don't own so I find myself listening to it on YouTube pretty frequently.
I actually went to the trouble of downloading all the YouTube videos and converting them to MP3 just so I wouldn't have to go on YouTube to listen to them.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2011, 01:24:24 AM »

This KICKS MY ASS and leaves me dumbfounded every single time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiGAOVVyuzo&feature=related

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
dennyschild
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2011, 04:41:08 AM »

Today, I found a song I love Hug...kiss me baby..oh' baby..love to hold you tight Love

This song put a smile on my face all day. I'm surprised i never heard it before.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 14, 2011, 06:21:00 AM »

Today, I found a song I love Hug...kiss me baby..oh' baby..love to hold you tight Love

This song put a smile on my face all day. I'm surprised i never heard it before.

And the funny part of this all is: this song was released on the "Today!" album.  Smiley

If you like this song by the way, I recommend you to get this album. The whole b-side only contains great ballads (except for the last track which is an interview). I'm pretty certain, you'll love them all. O, and not to forget two Dennis Wilson leadvocals (Do You Wanna Dance? and In The Back Of My Mind).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
dennyschild
« Reply #136 on: February 14, 2011, 09:04:45 AM »

And the funny part of this all is: this song was released on the "Today!" album.  Smiley

If you like this song by the way, I recommend you to get this album. The whole b-side only contains great ballads (except for the last track which is an interview). I'm pretty certain, you'll love them all. O, and not to forget two Dennis Wilson leadvocals (Do You Wanna Dance? and In The Back Of My Mind).

I never knew Denny was the lead singer of Do you wanna dance until I came here in 2009. I seen the video on youtube. Sounds real good. I have a cd with that song.
dennyschild
« Reply #137 on: February 14, 2011, 09:16:21 AM »

I can hear music Thumbs Up

Darlin. Carl is jammin in concert.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 14, 2011, 10:12:17 AM »

I never knew Denny was the lead singer of Do you wanna dance until I came here in 2009. I seen the video on youtube. Sounds real good. I have a cd with that song.

If you haven't heard it yet, listen to 'She Knows Me Too Well' (also from Today!). It's my second favourite song on that album (first being 'In The Back Of My Mind').

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HA7-05fXS_Q

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
dennyschild
« Reply #139 on: February 14, 2011, 01:12:12 PM »

Thanks. Love the song.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2011, 01:30:41 PM by dennyschild » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 24, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »

"I know there's an answer, I know now but I had to find it by myself" - one of my favorite vocals on Pet Sounds.

exposedbrain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 24, 2011, 09:59:25 PM »

I've always really liked Bluebirds Over the Mountain, but the other day I really heard the bass parts for the first time and I was knocked out
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 10, 2011, 04:39:17 AM »

Darlin'. It sounds better the louder it gets!  Smokin

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
rogerlancelot
« Reply #143 on: March 10, 2011, 05:38:09 AM »

"Are You Real?" (from POB Legacy). The entire song but especially the frantic coda. Why doesn't anybody ever mention this song??? Hell, the whole 2 cd set kicks my ass anytime I bust it out...
Magic City Surfer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 11, 2011, 08:40:36 PM »

"So hard to lift the jeweled scepter when the weight turns a smile to a frown."

Currently experiencing renewed love for Long Promised Road, Little Bird and This Whole World.

Sail through the sorrows of life's marauders.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »

Ive always hated that line in particular, though overall I like the lyrics of that song. Oh, sh*t, I'm being a party pooper, aren't I?

Great song regardless.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 12, 2011, 06:50:28 AM »

Ive always hated that line in particular, though overall I like the lyrics of that song. Oh, merda, I'm being a party pooper, aren't I?

Great song regardless.
Care to tell us what you hate about it? I like that line. It evokes feelings of how great it must be to be on top of the world in good times, but how tough it must be to bear all the responsibility when things go bad.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 12, 2011, 10:29:45 AM »

Good question.
I don't know. I know it doesn't work for me. Oddly, I think it's one of the stand-out lines of that song, meaning, when I think of that song, I find myself singing that particular line, for some reason it really sticks in my head, so in that sense it's successful.--I guess the 'weight turns the smile to a frown' part seems strained to me, and the line in general evokes a rather comical image in my head, which is inappropriate for the song. So perhaps it's my own brain reacting with the line that bothers me.

overall, I think Reilly's an underrated lyricist, albeit with a few tendencies I find grating(too many past participles, maybe). I regret that he didn't write further with the group as I think he would have developed into something even better.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 10:31:38 AM by lance » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: April 19, 2011, 07:09:53 AM »

The harpsichord right before Brian sings each 'I guess I just wasn't made for these times' in IJWMFTT.

The entire Surfer Girl album - Brian's falsetto in 'Surfer's Rule' is incredible....what a kick-ass song!

stack-o-tracks
Smiley Smile Associate

The baker man

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: April 19, 2011, 01:14:37 PM »

San Miguel! Been listening to it on repeat a lot for the past couple days.

No mas, por favor.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 29 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx