gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:36:04 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Gershwin and 50th  (Read 4548 times)
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: August 15, 2010, 10:31:33 AM »

OK, now Brian has proved he is 100% productive and successful, at the top of his game.  The record is going to be huge -- a rarity in the dusk of the recording industry -- and he doesn't need the other guys in the least.  His people are now in a position to say to Mike, Al, (Bruce?) and David --- we will do a handful of shows and make a dvd -- if and only if --

Brian's band and you -- alone -- playing with him

1st. set -- the Gershwin album, live, you helping with backup vocals and instruments.
2nd set -- Beach Boys and solo career retrospective -- each guy picks an equal number of songs, subject to the veto of any other.  Arrangements are collaborative but Brian gets final say.

Anything less, no deal.

Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 11:32:46 AM »

Brian Wilson and The Beach Boys as his backing band, wow.

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:43:26 AM »

If they put that proposition forward, Brian's people will negotiate him straight out of the reunion.  Now more than ever Brian's solo work and that of the Beach Boys are two totally different beasts and need to be treated as such. Lush Gershwin reinterpretations are just not going to mix on the same show as Mike chicken dancing through Little Deuce Coupe.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 06:54:21 AM »

I don't know why everybody assumes they know what Brian's going to do, or what he should do, or whatever.  If he wants to get on stage and sing backup to 3 songs, let him do that if that's what he's comfortable with.  Also I don't get the obsession with having Brian's band do it.  Mike's band is a good band as well.  Let the chips fall where they may, it'll happen or it won't happen.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 01:43:50 PM »

Rumors are persistent about a 50th anniversary of the Beach Boys next year. Is this possible?

Maybe, we don't know yet. I don't think so, though.

How would you feel about that?

Well, I don't really enjoy working with Mike [Love] and Bruce [Johnston], you know. It's not my style to work with those guys.

http://www.spinner.com/2010/08/16/brian-wilson-beach-boys-reunion-gershwin/

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 01:52:04 PM »

If Brian doesn't want to participate, they should do it without him. He shouldn't be forced to do it and a reunion with Mike, Al, Bruce and David would still be great.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 01:53:13 PM by Stegibo » Logged

alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 02:00:20 PM »

A reunion of the Beach Boys without Brian Wilson?
It's silly.
They made an album without him in 1993.
The results....
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 02:01:24 PM »

If Brian is nothing else, he is brutally frank and honest. His remarks about performing with Mike & Bruce cannot be any plainer. I cannot wait to hear their response to that quote.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 02:03:27 PM »

A reunion of the Beach Boys without Brian Wilson?
It's silly.
They made an album without him in 1993.
The results....
Right, a new album without Brian would automatically end in  "Summer In Paradise Vol. 2". Roll Eyes
I don't think they would record a new album but live shows are possible without him.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 02:05:36 PM by Stegibo » Logged

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 02:21:15 PM »

It would look frankly cheap, petty, and silly if they staged 'reunion' concerts without Brian, whilst he happily tours BWRG. I think they know that, which is why they've been pushing him in the past year.
I hope they don't push on without him. Mostly because now they've focussed on Brian so much in all these reunion interviews, they're going to look like maroons up on stage whilst Brian and Bruce sit in the 5th row....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »

I Also I don't get the obsession with having Brian's band do it.  Mike's band is a good band as well.  Let the chips fall where they may, it'll happen or it won't happen.

Yes no doubt but Mike has quite a history of messing with Brian's head.  Maybe not intentional, maybe not Mike's fault, but that is how it is.  If he is in a box where he has some, but limited, creative input, and some, but limited, time to hang with Brian and contribute to the creative process, it could be real good, and the dangers could be kept at a distance.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 03:13:27 PM »

I suppose that makes sense... Brian has mental issues of course, but he's also a grown man.  He, his wife, and his managers will make whatever decisions they need to involving this, they're not going to let Brian get in a bad situation.  I have full confidence in that... As much as we all know him and want to protect him, his wife knows him 50 times better than any of the rest of us.  She'll take care of him, she's done a pretty good job since she stepped onto the scene, imho. 
OGoldin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 03:33:26 PM »

I suppose that makes sense... Brian has mental issues of course, but he's also a grown man.  He, his wife, and his managers will make whatever decisions they need to involving this, they're not going to let Brian get in a bad situation.  I have full confidence in that... As much as we all know him and want to protect him, his wife knows him 50 times better than any of the rest of us.  She'll take care of him, she's done a pretty good job since she stepped onto the scene, imho. 

And I think that Mike would be willing to swallow his pride here, since he would realize that if a deal goes through the money/hours put in quotient would be much much greater than in the case of the touring band, and it would cement his legacy.  That, and he really does want to connect with Brian on a musical level, again.  That, from my vantage point, very far away, is why if if Brian's people draw a clear line, and stick with it, the deal will go through.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:17 PM »

I saw Mike & Bruce's Beach Boys recently and quite enjoyed the show. Very good indeed. But it's just my opinion that there is no comparison to Brian's band's technical expertise. There is a group of talents that will never be equaled, the precision with which they play, their vocals (not a patch on the Beach Boys in their prime, but a different beast altogether), their diverse ability--nobody does it better.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2010, 04:22:05 PM »

I too feel they're great, but I just can't get to the point where I feel that the Wondermints are the best band in the world.  I don't believe they are.  It seems to me there are other very talented musicians out there that if need be could do this stuff as well.  I mean, they're all great, and they do a wonderful job, but who in the group is irreplaceable?  Is there anybody they absolutely couldn't replace?  I don't see it.  I've seen some recent videos of Mike's band in concert, and while stripped down... they're pretty damn good and they sound great vocally. 

Other than the security blanket factor, what's the sense in punishing Mike's band when they've been touring as the Beach Boys all over the world for years, now since Brian's joining, they should take a backseat while the 'real' musicians show up?  That's b.s.  A hybrid of both groups would be better. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 04:38:27 PM »

I totally agree, Ron. I think Brian's current band are amazing, both because they are technically wonderful, stylistically in tune with his music, and personally able to provide him the kind of atmosphere that obviously has led him to keep them around. But Brian's band itself has had three drummers, two bassists, and several other players in and out over the years. (Hines, Sucherman, Lizik, Paley, Griffin, D'Amico as aux perc and singer before returning as drummer.) When those changes were made, other people came in and did the job. And while musicians of that caliber aren't a dime a dozen, neither are they one of a kind. IF they are a must-have for any kind of reunion, I'd say that is more defensible for Brian's personal comfort than musical reasons. And anyway, he has continued to say he doesn't want to do it, so this is all quite possibly moot.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 04:47:41 PM »

I feel Brian will do it, but in a very limited way.  Big tour, or several concerts?  Never happen.  He might show up for 1 concert.  I think he WILL record some stuff, though... it'd be easy to fly in vocals for that anyways.  Plus with that he could use his personal band.

I agree that for a personal comfort issue they may use his people, but slighting Mike's band by saying they're not up to snuff is a little rude.  At the end of the day, even if in name only they ARE the Beach Boys. 
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 06:45:11 PM »

What happens if the album doesn't sell well?
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 06:54:13 PM »

The Gershwin album? 

To be honest I don't think Brian does anything because or in spite of album sales.  If the Gershwin album is a flop, he's still the man, and if whatever bb reunion album they record if they record one flops, I don't think he'll care about that either. 

He's kind of got a history of putting out albums that don't sell well, eh?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 11:24:01 PM »

If Brian is nothing else, he is brutally frank and honest. His remarks about performing with Mike & Bruce cannot be any plainer. I cannot wait to hear their response to that quote.

Brian hasn't performed with Mike & Bruce for nearly 14 years (since September 1996), so his is hardly an informed opinion.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:26:13 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2010, 12:30:45 AM »

I wonder if the question was asked as above or even how Brian interpreted the question. He mentions he doesn't like 'working' with Mike or Bruce so are we talking a album, tour, one off concert or all three?

filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2010, 06:41:09 AM »

OK, now Brian has proved he is 100% productive and successful, at the top of his game.  The record is going to be huge -- a rarity in the dusk of the recording industry -- and he doesn't need the other guys in the least.  His people are now in a position to say to Mike, Al, (Bruce?) and David --- we will do a handful of shows and make a dvd -- if and only if --

Brian's band and you -- alone -- playing with him

1st. set -- the Gershwin album, live, you helping with backup vocals and instruments.
2nd set -- Beach Boys and solo career retrospective -- each guy picks an equal number of songs, subject to the veto of any other.  Arrangements are collaborative but Brian gets final say.

Anything less, no deal.

Brian is doing well at this point in his career, and I think everyone is happy for him.  A "lifer" - I did not see him for 20 years because he rarely appeared in East Coast venues.  When he is in  reasonable "driving range" I see him because I just love the music. 

My observation is that Brian has developed his own touring "formula," as it were.  If he is doing a themed "corpus" as Pet Sounds, SMiLE and The Lucky Old Sun,  he does the first set as Beach Boys Classics, then he does the "themed-album" work after a good intermission, and closes with a couple of either his own songs or Beach Boys Classics, and usually the lovely "Love and Mercy" which would bring the most "reluctant" concert goer to their knees.  Brian has done "just Brian" tours with Beach Boys classics with some of his own work thrown in for good measure.   

The crowd, in my opinion still wants to hear and rock with the Beach Boys stuff and come for that, too, and the tours are usually coordinated to be part of the "promotional" package and rightfully so, and the release seems to be well-timed to the tour.  Many of the fans never saw him when he was with the Beach Boys because he was not touring at the time, so this also a novelty and a "draw." 

But it is not for us, as fans to decide what the setlist will be but up to Brian and his band if he does a combo Beach Boys classics/Gershwin tour.  What does seem to work in the live context is to capitalize on what people already know, such as Surfin' USA and Rhonda, to get the audience "prepped and ready" to pay attention to listen to the new stuff. 

They can decide what form they will choose;  they are "big boys" and don't need to ask a "parent" ("Murry" pun intended) whatever form it takes will be fine with me and spectacular to be sure;  there is so much brain power and spectacular talent in both (or the three bands, if you include Al and David's groups.) 

It looks more like the chivalrous "round table" of King Arthur to me.  While it is in the delicate negotiation stage, it is none of our business. And, if people just keep a "Cool Head and Warm Heart" - it may happen thusly!

Cool     
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2010, 06:46:17 AM »

Hear Hear!!!!
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »

Brian hasn't performed with Mike & Bruce for nearly 14 years (since September 1996), so his is hardly an informed opinion.
That may be true, but stating stuff like that for publication, (you have to admit) is pretty ballsy and telling about how he feels at the moment. I like that Brian doesn't mince words. He definitely shoots from the hip when he speaks.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2010, 08:25:37 AM »

Bruce performed with him in 1998, for the Imagination dvd.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx