gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:07:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate The Moon - Without Earth (1968) & The Moon (2nd album, 1969)

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Moon - Without Earth (1968) & The Moon (2nd album, 1969)  (Read 9569 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 04:14:02 AM »

Discuss, review and rate The Moon - Without Earth (1968) & The Moon / 2nd album (1969), released on one CD on April 2004.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 04:16:12 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Paulos
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:00:30 PM »

The Moon! I really love The Moon, yes they were somewhat Beatlesesque but the songs, production and performances are great. For me 'Without Earth' is the best of the two albums with my only gripe being that I have real difficulty in picking out David's guitar parts, favourite songs are 'Mothers & Fathers', 'Someday Girl' and 'Brother Lou's Love Colony' - the 'love is the reason' refrain is gorgeous and I believe that David sang this one? The second album 'The Moon' has less memorable songs on it but Davids guitar playing is a lot more prominent and shows just how much better he was on guitar than Carl and Al (no slight on Carl and Al, just stating my opinion).

It's quite a shame that The Moon never seemed to get any recognition when they were actualy together although playing live might have helped! I read online somewhere tat The Moon played a show in support of The Lost Beach Boy being realesed, anyone confirm/see this? Jon?
Jason
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 10:12:36 PM »

I heard the show, yeah. It was good.

As far as the Moon goes...these aren't exactly solo albums. But they're amazing for what they are. They're hidden gems of underground 1960s American psychedelia.
roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 01:46:46 PM »

Love these albums!! So much weird psych-y stuff came out of LA starting in the mid-sixties, especially love the albums (and one-off 45s) that fall under the 'shadow of your smile' so to speak.

I read online somewhere tat The Moon played a show in support of The Lost Beach Boy being realesed, anyone confirm/see this? Jon?

They did play a live show on 5/29/07, which I decided would be worth spontaneously attending! It was a great time!! A small affair, really really cool to hear 4 Moon songs live. They played: 1) Pirate (off the 'The Moon' LP)
2) Life Is A Season (off 'The Moon' LP)
3) Faces (off 'Without Earth' Lp)
4) Like 1969 (new David Marks solo track off his 'I Think About You Often' CD)

Here are some pictures:

roll plymouth rock
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 01:54:17 PM »

ps- the man in the hat in front of the stage is none other than Stephen Kalinich!

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx