gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:31:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun DVD

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun DVD  (Read 8047 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: July 19, 2010, 03:41:31 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Brian Wilson - That Lucky Old Sun DVD, released January 2009.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 03:43:02 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 05:51:34 PM »

I just won a copy of this off Ebay - no forum consensus on this one?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2013, 06:15:05 PM »

I think it's great!

The documentary goes into the inspiration for the album, it has an overall theme about the history of California, it has many scenes where Brian is in the studio (some of it feels staged, but still cool nonetheless), also scenes where Brian is at Scott Bennett's (I think) house demoing the material. The concert is okay - would've been better with a bigger audience. I watch this documentary more often than any other BB-related docu I own. But TLOS is my favorite solo album from Brian, so I'm biased.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 05:14:14 PM »

I watched the "live performance" part of the disc tonight and I was blown away. Although the visuals are quite nice, what really opened my ears was the audio - this, in my opinion, is miles ahead of what you hear on the actual album.

The vocals were good (there's probably more double tracking on the dvd mix than the cd!), the bass is much more BW/BB sounding compared to the album (just listen to it, you'll know what I mean), and it's not nearly as dry as the official album. There's a good amount of echo and reverb. This mix, although the performances are different, really brings TLOS to life in a way that the album doesn't!

(edit: also watched the doc. and most of the extras. This has to be the best Brian DVD I've watched out of all of them. The behind the scenes footage doesn't seem staged, Brian seems relaxed and happy and cracking jokes. Although there are some mentions of this film on the forum, there isn't nearly enough praise for this disc. Essential for any BB/BW fan!! Pleased with my purchase.)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:59:31 PM by EgoHanger1966 » Logged

Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

It's one of my favourite BBs/BW DVDs, as well - mainly due to the bonus material. Cool 5 points!
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:20:59 PM »

High rewatchability factor on this one...

This DVD is worth the money just for the cookie scene in the bonus studio footage:

Scott(?): "Let's all take a cookie so Jeff doesn't get one".
Jeff: "I don't really care".
Brian (mouth full of cookie): "Jeff, you care".

LOL

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 06:01:29 PM »

This is a GREAT DVD.. Go buy it NOW.. !!!!  Lots of extra"s +  Lots of bang for your buck. TLOS is a fine piece of work with lots of great tunes.. One of BW finest hour. I recommend this highly.  5/5
KDS
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 10:02:05 AM »

I got a copy of this DVD for Christmas. 

I love the live version of the album, although I would've preferred to have one of the full concerts from the TLOS Tour, but it seems BriMel is reluctant to release a complete Brian Wilson concert for whatever reason. 

The bonus material is wonderful.  The documentary is worth the price of admission, even if it made me lament that we'll not be seeing anymore Wilson / Bennett collaborations again.  The Nissan Mini Concert was pretty cool with the fan Q&A.  The artist to artist interview with Zooey Daschunel was pretty fun too. 
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx