gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:32:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Al Jardine - A Postcard From California

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: A Postcard From California (Al Jardine)  (Read 45540 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2012, 12:30:46 PM »

surprised there isn't another version of Loop de Loop on here.  Wink

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2012, 11:41:32 AM »

I listened to this album about twice a day when it first came out and really haven't listened to it since.

and I think that about says it all.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2012, 12:19:39 PM »

I listened to this album about twice a day when it first came out and really haven't listened to it since.

and I think that about says it all.

It gets old after a while?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 06:17:47 PM »

surprised there isn't another version of Loop de Loop on here.  Wink

hahaha - that actually made me laugh out loud!!!

This is a great little album. I think it's the best that you'd expect from Alan. Lookin down the coast is absolutely fantastic. Three and a half stars, but I'll round up to four.

(Man - I hope he doesn't read this board - he's about a gazillion times more talented than me - my comments are just made in the context of the rest of the Beach Boys output!!)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 11:17:58 AM »

I think PT Cruiser shoulda been added as a bonus track.
+1. Liked this song ever since I heard it. Great performance by Al!
Yeah, even though it recycled a lot from Hey Little Cobra and I think sons Jan and Dean material (can't remember, have heard it in some time!)
Isn't it sad that Alan could release his own album and mike can't even get a legit record deal? (Perhaps due to his resume albums)

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2013, 06:38:20 PM »

I meant that as one thought, isn't it sad that al can get a record deal but mike can't?

The hey little cobra link from what I remember is the beginning lyrics: "PT PT PT Cruiser don't you know you really look fine."

The don't you know you really look fine part sounds like the lyric: "don't you know you're gonna shut em down."

~post of the century~
-Mikie

wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2013, 08:29:44 PM »

I meant that as one thought, isn't it sad that al can get a record deal but mike can't?

The hey little cobra link from what I remember is the beginning lyrics: "PT PT PT Cruiser don't you know you really look fine."

The don't you know you really look fine part sounds like the lyric: "don't you know you're gonna shut em down."

which sounds a lot like  "buddy gonna shut you down"  Tongue

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2013, 10:39:05 PM »

Why did Al even make this album? I mean the album is mostly covers...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 11:00:12 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2013, 11:08:26 PM »

Comon', Jonesy - Al states his intentions in the liner notes ("I hope you like my work.  It reflects the way I see the world through the eyes of those who have lived here, and through the voices of those who have influenced me along the way").

And, what's wrong with covers - Brian delivered 2 albums full in recent times, and the BB's have a history of leaning on other material, sometimes well (Devoted to You), sometimes no so well (most of 15 Big Ones & Crocodile Rock)

Al is a big one for borrowing, OR, reworking a theme and presenting his own take - all of the covers are pretty well handled, especially California Dreamin' (who'd have thought a track with Stamos could be so evocative)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:09:08 PM by Alan Smith » Logged

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2013, 08:20:18 PM »

Comon', Jonesy - Al states his intentions in the liner notes ("I hope you like my work.  It reflects the way I see the world through the eyes of those who have lived here, and through the voices of those who have influenced me along the way").

And, what's wrong with covers - Brian delivered 2 albums full in recent times, and the BB's have a history of leaning on other material, sometimes well (Devoted to You), sometimes no so well (most of 15 Big Ones & Crocodile Rock)

Al is a big one for borrowing, OR, reworking a theme and presenting his own take - all of the covers are pretty well handled, especially California Dreamin' (who'd have thought a track with Stamos could be so evocative)

Speaking of the BB leaning on covers, I remember early on as an avid but inmatture fan, I used to sigh and get slightly annoyed when I saw covers listed on their albums. I just used to think it was the artist being lazy and not doing original material and trying to get away and win fans over with a popular song. But now, 14 years down the road, I have a special place in my heart for the BB covers, from Louie Louie to Summertimw Blues to I'm so Young to I can hear music to Cotton Fields to Palisades Park to Peggy Sue to Just once in my Life to I was made to love her to then I kissed her to Goodnight Irene to California Dreaming to Hungry Heart to Lightening Strikes to Why do fools fall in love to Duke of Earl to Miserlou to Blueberry Hill to Be my Baby to Talk to Me to Shortenin Bread to Rockin all over the world to calendar Girl to sloop John b to hushabye to Ruby Baby to Bluebirds over the Mountain to There's not other like my baby.

You get the idea.…

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2013, 09:08:50 PM »

I just think it's redundant that Al is rerecording songs he already wrote or performed with The Beach Boys (Help Me Rhonda, California Saga, California Dreamin', etc). My problem isn't that the songs are not original. If he is (probably) going to make only one solo album, why not give us something other than retreads?

I don't mind the idea of covering at all. In fact, many of my favorite Beach Boys songs are covers.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 09:10:37 PM by Miss Amanda Jones » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 06:57:38 PM »

One of the much better BB's solo albums.
"Don't Fight The Sea" is easily my favourite song on this album.
3 out of 5.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »

3 out of 5.
Good call, I was just thinking about how cool Don't fight the Sea is…I believe it was written in the late 80s but wasn't recorded until Still Cruisin or so…anyways, it's one of those 80s songs that sounds like it came from the 70s (as it did) and vice versa.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2013, 11:12:07 AM »

This  IMHO Is a really nice LP  listenable all the way thru..  Yes there are too many remakes and you know he has songs stockpiled away so why not use them.  ?  I do like the fact that finally songs that were booted years ago finally get a release..  Al still has a great voice and his personality comes out in his music.  I really like this LP I give it a 4.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »

3 out of 5.
Don't fight the sea is a classic! It's a shame that I can't seem to find this album anywhere... I guess I could order it from ebay, but it's missing entirely in Finland and almost completely in Europe too... Such a shame, 'cause what I've heard it's a great album.

4/5.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2013, 09:22:36 PM »

3 out of 5.
Don't fight the sea is a classic! It's a shame that I can't seem to find this album anywhere... I guess I could order it from ebay, but it's missing entirely in Finland and almost completely in Europe too... Such a shame, 'cause what I've heard it's a great album.

4/5.
Don't fight the sea should have been on Made in California, I don't see it as a solo song.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2013, 12:30:07 AM »

But now, 14 years down the road, I have a special place in my heart for the BB covers, from [...] Then I kissed her to Goodnight Irene [...].
I'm a fan of covers too! In fact, I think the majority of them as done by the BBs/BW are vastly superior to either originals or other outside versions. However, I quoted these 2 because it's very rare to see someone who likes the former, they usually label it under "mediocre stuff", and Goodnight Irene is an obscurity. Glad that you listed them, both are wonderfully arranged & sung! Now, I'll go checking Duke of Earl, not familiar with it.
Well, I was just trying to get every aspect of their career in my post through what covers they've done, and boy have they done a lot over the years! BTW, the only Duke of Earl you'll find, I think, is a bunch of live versions Mike has done over the years with his band. I saw him do it in 2001...12 years later, I was surprised it wasn't on the setlist when I saw him last August!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 10:31:05 PM »

I think And I Always Be might be the lamest song of all time
KDS
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2015, 06:52:31 AM »

I finally broke down and bought this album.

I'll say its worth the price of admission just for Don't Fight the Sea. 

The rest of the album is pleasant, but not too memorable.  The remakes were a little unnecessary, particularly Help Me Rhonda and California Dreaming.  Although the remake of California Saga: California isn't bad. 

I gave the album a 3/5, because it's a middle of the road type album.  Not bad, but not particular good either.  It's too bad Al couldn't find a better vehicle for his voice. 
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2015, 01:48:18 PM »

Well, I too finally broke down and picked this up... (as well as Carl's two solo albums).  Don't know why I held out... hmm.  Anyway...

Gotta say, I really like it.  I love the natural hi-fi sound quality... I really love it actually.  And I like the chill relaxed vibe.  The cool Help Me Rhonda.  Fantastic!  Yes... Al does a lot of covers... I get it.  But that's fine, that's who he is.  People need to stop comparing him to his bandmate -- what was that guys name again, Beethoven?  Bach?  Oh, wait... Brian Wilson! That's it...

This album has turned out to be such a pleasant surprise.  The arrangements/sound/production and overall pace and style is something I wish the Beach Boys next album (there will be another right?) takes notice of.  This is what a new Beach Boy album should "sound" like.

And furthermore, while we can't compare Carl and Dennis' voice, Al's has certainly aged the best.  It's not even close for me.  Brian sounds like a COMPLETELY different person now.  Al sounds about the same as he always did.  And it's a GREAT voice.  Ageless and so versatile.

Having Brian and the others voices on here is icing on the cake.  Honkin' Down the Highway!!!!!!  And I gotta say this is one of the nicest versions of California Dreamin'. 

Hell yes!!  Thanks Al!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 01:51:56 PM by Bean Bag » Logged

the professor
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 01, 2015, 06:01:04 PM »

Of course the Professor agrees with the bag about this album in 100% details. I have listened to it with at least two different girlfriends while driving to all the places mentioned and discussed in it. If you put that album on and drive up the 101 and make note of each place and each song as it pertains to each new location, you will really feel a profound and beautiful sense of connection to the Beach Boys, - al, and to California. David marks is on one song and of course brian is on a few and all the other guests are just wonderful.

quote author=Bean Bag link=topic=8963.msg541803#msg541803 date=1443732498]
Well, I too finally broke down and picked this up... (as well as Carl's two solo albums).  Don't know why I held out... hmm.  Anyway...

Gotta say, I really like it.  I love the natural hi-fi sound quality... I really love it actually.  And I like the chill relaxed vibe.  The cool Help Me Rhonda.  Fantastic!  Yes... Al does a lot of covers... I get it.  But that's fine, that's who he is.  People need to stop comparing him to his bandmate -- what was that guys name again, Beethoven?  Bach?  Oh, wait... Brian Wilson! That's it...

This album has turned out to be such a pleasant surprise.  The arrangements/sound/production and overall pace and style is something I wish the Beach Boys next album (there will be another right?) takes notice of.  This is what a new Beach Boy album should "sound" like.

And furthermore, while we can't compare Carl and Dennis' voice, Al's has certainly aged the best.  It's not even close for me.  Brian sounds like a COMPLETELY different person now.  Al sounds about the same as he always did.  And it's a GREAT voice.  Ageless and so versatile.

Having Brian and the others voices on here is icing on the cake.  Honkin' Down the Highway!!!!!!  And I gotta say this is one of the nicest versions of California Dreamin'. 

Hell yes!!  Thanks Al!
[/quote]
KDS
« Reply #46 on: September 29, 2017, 08:07:29 AM »

It's 4.5. HMR & HDTH - not better but really good. Best "Looking Down The Coast" & "California Feelin'". Dig the speech bits. Wise decision that Neil Young didn't sing entire "California Saga" - dislike his voice. "Drivin'" rules! 3D It would be 5-star IF "San Simeon" & "And I Always Will" didn't make the cut, bit on the boring side, clever Chopin ref aside. Al seems to like classical music. Luckily, these tracks don't ruin the flow being in the end.

I listened it the album a few weeks ago for the first time in awhile. 

I posted two years ago that it's an overall good listen, but not much very memorable.  Drivin is nice.  I'd love to hear what The Beach Boys would've done with Waves of Love, as Al tried to pitch it for TWGMTR.  I could do with less BB remakes, but they're not bad, just inferior to their originals. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2017, 08:15:43 AM »

I'm less curious about Waves of Love, just because I don't think it's that good a song. Maybe if they'd rewritten it, keeping the obvious benefits of Carl's vocals wherever they could, but come up with a stronger song overall. Sadly I just don't think the part Carl sang was that good a part, or that excitingly sung.

Agree 100% about the remakes. It's one thing to rerecord and release songs that may have been booted but weren't ever on real releases, as Brian has done on occasion over the years (or I guess as Al did with Wave of Love). But things like Rhonda or California Saga are just entirely unnecessary to me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
KDS
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2017, 08:31:01 AM »

I'm less curious about Waves of Love, just because I don't think it's that good a song. Maybe if they'd rewritten it, keeping the obvious benefits of Carl's vocals wherever they could, but come up with a stronger song overall. Sadly I just don't think the part Carl sang was that good a part, or that excitingly sung.

Agree 100% about the remakes. It's one thing to rerecord and release songs that may have been booted but weren't ever on real releases, as Brian has done on occasion over the years (or I guess as Al did with Wave of Love). But things like Rhonda or California Saga are just entirely unnecessary to me.

Doing remakes seems to be an odd, and somewhat bewildering, habit among the surviving Beach Boys going back 20 odd years now.   I can kinda see them trying to maybe improve on a song (ie. extending the Man With All the Boys), or doing more obscure songs that may have been overlooked the first time around.  But, there's no reason for stuff like Little Saint Nick - BW '05, Help Me Rhonda '12, or Do It Again (pick any of the three recent ones).
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2017, 08:33:55 AM »

Do It Again (pick any of the three recent ones).

No, thank you: I'd rather pretend some didn't exist.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx