gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680836 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 08:31:55 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson's "Youngblood" reissue in September  (Read 18611 times)
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 18, 2010, 04:59:26 PM »

Hi there.
I saw on Facebook that the 2nd Carl Wilson's album will be re-released by Iconoclassic Records in September, and Billy Hinsche provided the new liner notes.
Great notice!
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:20:29 PM »

Just the second album?  Do you know if there will be any outtakes?
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 07:37:11 PM »

Yeah, just the second album. I didn't understood it too.
I didn't know if outtakes will be in this reissue.
But reading the label's site, I noticed that some of their reissues have bonus tracks, one or two.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 08:02:25 PM »

Glad to hear Youngblood is being released on CD in the U.S. (finally), and hoping for bonus tracks.

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 10:54:05 PM »

I have the first album on vinyl and don't like it. Haven't heard Youngblood in its entirety yet, so maybe I'm going to buy this.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 11:05:38 PM »

Both of his albums were rather terrible IMHO, but it would be nice for me to actually hear it in better sound ;I'd heard a tape copy of an LP, and it sounded so overly bright as to actually hurt my damn ears.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 11:39:42 PM »

And this one's the worst, thanks to awful AOR-style songs and arrangements.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 12:11:45 AM »

i was lucky enough to get Carls both albums on cd when they were re-released on cd in 1990 by Caribou. There are some great songs on them, also on the first cd !
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 02:07:22 AM »

Carl's albums get too easily dismissed in my view. Okay, they're not POB, BWPS or TLOS. Yes, between them they have a few non-essentials and a few clunkers. But there are also some excellent pieces. In my opinion they have as at least as much merit as PFC.

And let's face it, anything featuring Carl Wilson's voice has bonus points automatically awarded.

“We live in divisive times.”
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 04:40:18 AM »

I would be quite content with just a remastered version of "Heaven".  It's about as good as any song he's written.  And despite the cheesiness, "What You Do To Me" is catchy. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 04:52:37 AM »

i was lucky enough to get Carls both albums on cd when they were re-released on cd in 1990 by Caribou. There are some great songs on them, also on the first cd !

In Japan only, however.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 06:32:10 AM »

In Japan only, however.

No, in Europe (at least in Germany and the Netherlands) as well.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 06:41:29 AM »

Wasn't Cherry Red said to be looking to re-issue both of Carl's albums as well?  Is that deal off (or did I dream it?)?  Or have two labels got separate re-issues planned (one a re-master, the other a needle drop!)?

“We live in divisive times.”
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 06:59:32 AM »

In Japan only, however.

Are you sure about that? I remember seeing them in on of the local CD stores, but these were Japanese pressings. In contrary to the Beach Boys 70ies albums and Dennis' POB, these weren't part of the Epic "Digitally Remastered" series. Same for example for Blondie Chaplin's first solo album: I could buy the first CD issue in the early 90ies here in Holland, but it still was Japanese import.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Scotty
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 07:51:08 AM »

In Japan only, however.

Are you sure about that? I remember seeing them in on of the local CD stores, but these were Japanese pressings. In contrary to the Beach Boys 70ies albums and Dennis' POB, these weren't part of the Epic "Digitally Remastered" series. Same for example for Blondie Chaplin's first solo album: I could buy the first CD issue in the early 90ies here in Holland, but it still was Japanese import.

To be honest - I'm not 100% sure. I once (1989-1993) worked for one of the biggest record stores in town and I do remember that I listened to both of Carl's solo albums for the first time back then (and didn't liked them). Since we also had a very large amount of Japanese import CD's it is possible that these were the Japanese pressings. Anyway I also do remember that an old friend of mine bought both albums for his collection and I will ask him next weekend to check out if these were Japanese or German pressings - keep the fingers crossed he still have them.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 07:57:25 AM »

In Japan only, however.

If you've got a European CD release of either of Carl's solo albums - they're counterfeits.  Grin  Only ever reissued on CD in Japan.

Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 08:54:51 AM »

I bought them new here in the USA on CD when they came out.  POB as well.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 09:04:52 AM »

I like Carl's first album, but there are only a few tracks I like on Youngblood.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 09:06:19 AM »

POB, yes... but in all my years as a BB whatever, the only legit CD reissues have been Japanese. Try looking on Amazon or eBay for US/UK reissues - can't find 'em. No BB collector I know of has any. Know why ? They don't exist.  Grin

Paulos
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 09:16:55 AM »

It would be nice to have official versions of Carl's albums but only for completists sake, my opinion of both albums is that they are both godawful and even Carls voice cannot redeem them. Not as bad as Going Public though........
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 10:32:04 AM »

Yeah, just the second album. I didn't understood it too.
I didn't know if outtakes will be in this reissue.
But reading the label's site, I noticed that some of their reissues have bonus tracks, one or two.

There´s one bonus track: "Givin' You Up" (single version).
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 10:40:57 AM »

I've never listened to any solo BBs stuff beyond POB (and various configurations of Bambu) and Brian's solo career (and even then, I've still not listened to Imagination or GIOMH). I somehow don't feel like I'm missing out on anything here, either!
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 12:09:11 PM »

POB, yes... but in all my years as a BB whatever, the only legit CD reissues have been Japanese. Try looking on Amazon or eBay for US/UK reissues - can't find 'em. No BB collector I know of has any. Know why ? They don't exist.  Grin

Originals YES, reissues no.

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 12:16:06 PM »

I bought them new here in the USA on CD when they came out.  POB as well.

Originals YES, reissues no.

Care to scan the inserts/booklets ? 'Cause if you've bought Carl's albums on US domestic CD reissues, you've got about the rarest BB-related CDs that exists.  So rare that no collector of my acquaintance has even heard of them.

Just to make sure I'm understanding you, you're saying "I bought them (Carl's solo albums) new here in the USA on CD when they came out", right ?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:19:45 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 12:47:46 PM »

Imagination and GIOMH are essential in their own ways. And cheap, too. You can buy the used CDs for about a buck apiece. Go ahead, live a little. You might be pleasantly surprised. (Or not. Cheesy)
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx