-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:29:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Bellagio 10452
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Dutchman goes for a roundtrip to northeast USA - where to go?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Dutchman goes for a roundtrip to northeast USA - where to go?  (Read 13446 times)
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2010, 01:31:50 PM »

USA holiday nr. 2 is coming up. In a couple of weeks the wife and I are heading of to NYC. From there we're going to make a little 3-week round trip. See map for a roughly sketched route.

So far we've chosen Boston, Montreal, Toronto / Niagara Falls, Grand Rapids, Gettysburg, ,Washington DC (and back to NYC) as part of the route. But that is all still open for discussion... (except for Grand Rapids, sister-in-law lives there...)

Obvious question (and of course you guys know best where to find those hotspots): any specific places we shouldn't miss? Cities, (national) parks of forests, historical locations? Don't mind a pointer for a good record store here and there.  Grin

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Jason
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 02:21:17 PM »

You should go to Philadelphia, if only for the "historical value". Just don't ask any of the locals for directions. They'll tell you to go f*** your mama.  LOL
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »

If you're in the Booths Corner area of SE Pennsylvania (just north of the Delaware border) on a Friday or Saturday (only two days it's open), you have to go eat at the Amish market (Bill Haley used to live there iffn you need a R&R connection). Details here - http://www.boothscorner.com/ - and thank me later.  Smiley

Baltimore is also a nice city, especially Inner Harbor, Fells Point and Federal Hill (view of IH from FH):

Another great local eatery in Bawlmer is Harry Attman's - http://www.attmansdeli.com/index.php

Philadelphia is bung full of history and is pretty walkable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amanda Hart
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 10:18:49 AM »

Your trip through Ohio looks none too exciting.  Canton has the Football Hall of Fame, but that's American football so probably not anything you would be too interested in.  In Findlay through, there is a totally awesome BBQ place called Tony's.  It is right off of I-75 at St. Rt. 224.  They win all the rib cook offs in the area, I've never had a bad meal there.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 11:33:31 AM »

OK, Philly and Baltimore are now added.  Smiley

Your trip through Ohio looks none too exciting.  

Good point, but as we're going for a round trip (we land in NYC, have rented a car, and will fly back 3 weeks later from NYC again), and Grand Rapids is an obligatory part of the trip, so we have to travel through Ohio anyway. We've changed the rout a bit btw, and for a good reason. Chance is very big we take a small detour to Ironton ...  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 11:44:38 AM by SMiLE-Holland » Logged

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 01:01:43 PM »

OK, Philly and Baltimore are now added.  Smiley

Your trip through Ohio looks none too exciting.  

Chance is very big we take a small detour to Ironton ...  Smiley

i'll be waiting...  Grin

beer will be on ice awaitin'  Grin Grin
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 01:02:43 PM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 12:06:36 AM »

beer will be on ice awaitin'  Grin Grin

Drinking Buddies  Grolsch please !   LOL

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 02:25:52 AM »

Have you noticed that pretty much all the advice thus far concerns stuffing your face ?  Grin

Speaking of which, if you've not been to an Arby's yet, please do - you'll never eat at Micky D's again.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 02:27:45 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 02:58:02 AM »

I don't mind a culinary recommendation, as part of my education on the American cultural heritage.  Roll Eyes

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 09:26:37 PM »

[quote author=Andrew G. Doe link=topic=8937.msg151268#msg151268 date=1279272352

Speaking of which, if you've not been to an Arby's yet, please do - you'll never eat at Micky D's again.
[/quote] Fuckin' A. The bacon and swiss cheese chicken sandwich with curly fries, with a side of "pizza poppers" is a gift straight from heaven. Or you can do the five roast beef melts for only five dollars deal. Five roast beef sandwiches covered in chedder cheese for only $5.

Also, if you stop by Sharon Pennsylvania, I will gladly welcome you into my home. We can spend the day listening to various Beach Boys recordings of dubious origins.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 01:00:50 AM »

Fuckin' A. The bacon and swiss cheese chicken sandwich with curly fries, with a side of "pizza poppers" is a gift straight from heaven. Or you can do the five roast beef melts for only five dollars deal. Five roast beef sandwiches covered in chedder cheese for only $5.

Also, if you stop by Sharon Pennsylvania, I will gladly welcome you into my home. We can spend the day listening to various Beach Boys recordings of dubious origins.  Grin

That would indeed be great (one of my hobbies as well !   Smiley

Unfortunately:

a) my wife is not exactly the biggest BB fan in the world - and she already suffers many a day with me "listening to various Beach Boys recordings of dubious origins"  Roll Eyes

and

b) the route has changed a bit: we're now travelling from Washington DC to Grand Rapids via Huntington/Ironton, so suddenly Sharon PA is not that close anymore...

But thanks for the invitation, I appreciate it very much!

O, and Arby has definitely been listed for a visit.  Grin

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 01:09:46 AM »

OK, route has changed a bit:

NYC
Philly / Baltimore / Washington DC / Gettyburg
Ironton
GrandRapids / Michigan / Chicago (or Detroit)
Niagara Falls / Toronto
High Peaks / Lake Placid
either White Mountain NF or Boston
back to NYC

Plans are getting more definite by the day... can't wait for the holidays to start !

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 09:14:08 PM »

Fuckin' A. The bacon and swiss cheese chicken sandwich with curly fries, with a side of "pizza poppers" is a gift straight from heaven. Or you can do the five roast beef melts for only five dollars deal. Five roast beef sandwiches covered in chedder cheese for only $5.

That would indeed be great (one of my hobbies as well !   Smiley

Unfortunately:

a) my wife is not exactly the biggest BB fan in the world - and she already suffers many a day with me "listening to various Beach Boys recordings of dubious origins"  Roll Eyes

and

b) the route has changed a bit: we're now travelling from Washington DC to Grand Rapids via Huntington/Ironton, so suddenly Sharon PA is not that close anymore...

But thanks for the invitation, I appreciate it very much!

O, and Arby has definitely been listed for a visit.  Grin

1. I know the type. She probably likes Summer In Hell...er, I mean Paradise.  Roll Eyes

2. The offer still stands. If you ever get the chance to stop in Pennsylvania, you're always welcome in my house. Smiley Hell, that goes for the entire Smiley Smile board.  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2010, 03:39:53 AM »

2. The offer still stands. If you ever get the chance to stop in Pennsylvania, you're always welcome in my house. Smiley Hell, that goes for the entire Smiley Smile board.  Grin

ROAD TRIP !!!  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2010, 03:50:30 AM »

Other things you should try to fit in:

Minor league baseball game - the more minor, the better...

Local farmer's market - anywhere, but preferably in an Amish region...

Annapolis, Maryland - nice old colonial town, great seafaring heritage, home of the US Navy college...

National Air & Space Museum, DC...

A beach in Connecticut - any beach...

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2010, 07:19:05 AM »

Other things you should try to fit in:
Minor league baseball game - the more minor, the better...

Hm, funny, just this morning one of my collegues at work said exactly the same!

Local farmer's market - anywhere, but preferably in an Amish region...

Annapolis, Maryland - nice old colonial town, great seafaring heritage, home of the US Navy college...

National Air & Space Museum, DC...

A beach in Connecticut - any beach...

Annapolis sounds like a good idea. Connecticut beach as well. Thanks AGD.

Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2010, 08:41:58 AM »

You can take the train from NYC to Beacon, NY to Dia:Beacon, one of the largest contemporary art museums in the world... I'll make sure you get in for free. Only an hour north and makes a great day trip...sits right in the Hudson River.

http://www.diabeacon.org/sites/main/beacon
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2010, 12:15:57 PM »

-Go to the inner harbor in Baltimore. Absolutely beautiful.
-Try a slice of pizza in NY. Best food ever made  3D
-The Franklin Fountain in Philly is a great place for sweets. I had something there called a cherry bomb (Chocolate ice cream cherry soda.) It literally lived up to it's name as I promptly spilled some of it on myself.

Lucky you're going to Gettysburg. Been wanting to go there for awhile now.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2010, 12:46:27 PM »

OK, route has changed a bit:

High Peaks / Lake Placid

I live an hour southeast of Lake Placid...a little hole on the New York side of Lake Champlain called Port Henry. Make sure to hit Burlington, VT in your travels...nice university town...PurePop Records, the waterfront, Church Street.

And over on the New York side of the "Sixth Great Lake" (Champlain), there's a good chance you'll encounter hot dog stands selling somehting called a "Michigan" or Michigan Hot Dog...similar to a chili dog, but the sauce is a bit different from chili...made from ground beef and a tomato sauce and it's can be sweet or spicy depending on where you go...some people like it topped with chopped onions and even mustard.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2010, 01:18:58 PM »

I'm a little horrified that Arby's is somehow considered a must-stop place to eat in the States. Of course, i'm also shocked that ANYONE would willingly eat at McDonalds, so what do I know?
But if it's fast and greasy you like you might make a slight detour to Allentown PA and stop at Yocco's hot dogs, where you will find the weirdest (and best!) hot dogs anywhere.
Have fun (and avoid Arby's)!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2010, 12:20:02 AM »

Make sure to hit Burlington, VT in your travels...nice university town...PurePop Records, the waterfront, Church Street.

We're planning on taking the boat from Port Kent to Burlington, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'll try to (but I can't garantee it  Grin  )

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2010, 01:04:12 AM »

I'm a little horrified that Arby's is somehow considered a must-stop place to eat in the States. Of course, i'm also shocked that ANYONE would willingly eat at McDonalds, so what do I know?
But if it's fast and greasy you like you might make a slight detour to Allentown PA and stop at Yocco's hot dogs, where you will find the weirdest (and best!) hot dogs anywhere.

Thing about Arby's is, it ain't a burger. That and the curly fries.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2010, 02:29:39 AM »

Thing about Arby's is, it ain't a burger. That and the curly fries.
ANd the pizza poppers. And the orange milkshake.  Grin

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2010, 12:26:21 PM »

Flying of tomorrow. Back in 3 weeks.

Again, thanks for the good advise (includes the food-tips  Grin ), we'll try to visit some of the recommendations you gave us. Hopefully another great experience, like in 2006 (when we visited California and Arizona).

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2010, 07:28:35 AM »

first week's almost over... time flies when you're having fun!

We're now at a camp side near Baltimore (Catonsville, near the Patapsco river) and enjoy the cities and it's culinar higlights, including Baltimore's Altmanns!  Grin , the surroundings, etc. Annapolis is on today's programme. Again thanks for all good advises. We managed to throw in a few of your advises already!

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print
Jump to: