gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680880 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 01, 2024, 06:32:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terry Melcher  (Read 15071 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 01:42:47 AM »

Can anybody tell me if the record he and Bruce made under the moniker "The Hotdoggers" worth shelling out for?

Not really - mostly instrumental, albeit those instruments played by The Crew.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2010, 05:41:46 AM »

Anybody got these 45s for sale to complete my TM singles collection?
- Doris Day: Oo Wee Baby, Col. 43099
- The Rising Sons: Candy man, Col. 43534
- The Gentle Soul: 2:10 train, Epic 10448
- ??:??, Equinox 70002
- ??:??, Equinox 70003
- ??:??, Equinox 70007
- Michele: Would You Like to Go, ABC 11202

I don't think you can afford them!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2010, 08:29:44 PM »

To bring up another question, everytime I see something on tv or read a common article on the Manson murders; the narrator or article always (most of the time) describes Terry Melcher as the Beach Boys' producer, and that couldn't be further from the truth, unless I'm missing something...anyone care to shed some light of this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2010, 02:25:25 AM »

To bring up another question, everytime I see something on tv or read a common article on the Manson murders; the narrator or article always (most of the time) describes Terry Melcher as the Beach Boys' producer, and that couldn't be further from the truth, unless I'm missing something...anyone care to shed some light of this?

Terry produced The Beach Boys from "Rock & Roll To The Rescue" onwards (excepting "Wipe Out"). Granted, the implication that he was the band's producer in 1968/9 is, at best, misleading.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2010, 05:09:04 AM »

that's what I thought

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2013, 07:57:54 AM »

I put together a Terry Melcher 45 Productions discography. If you're interested look here  http://www.45cat.com/45_list_view_record.php?li=1350. Corrections and additions welcome.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 08:08:29 AM by dogear » Logged

Watson, did you hear this?
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2013, 08:25:52 AM »

I picked up his first solo album recently - surprisingly good I thought and what an album cover  LOL . His second lp seems to be much harder to find though. Anyone heard it?

dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2013, 09:15:35 AM »

I picked up his first solo album recently - surprisingly good I thought and what an album cover  LOL . His second lp seems to be much harder to find though. Anyone heard it?
It has no Byrds involvement as the first one, but it's quite good as well- although many people find the mood on both albums too depressive

Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »

Terry Melcher invented folk rock..??  I would"nt go that far. Certainly he was there at the beginings of the genre ..Another record around the same time that has been mentioned is Sounds of Silence.. Iv "e  always  though Mcguinn"s  Folkie roots combined with Beatle music + Rickenbacker 12 string was a natural  accident.  I"d give much more credit to Mcguinn than Melcher..
dogear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2013, 10:21:24 AM »

Terry Melcher invented folk rock..??  I would"nt go that far. Certainly he was there at the beginings of the genre ..Another record around the same time that has been mentioned is Sounds of Silence.. Iv "e  always  though Mcguinn"s  Folkie roots combined with Beatle music + Rickenbacker 12 string was a natural  accident.  I"d give much more credit to Mcguinn than Melcher..
I think he rather moulded Revere and The Raiders into a pop act than made The Byrds a folk-rock band

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2013, 12:48:01 PM »

I think he rather moulded Revere and The Raiders into a pop act than made The Byrds a folk-rock band
This is true. The Byrds were already headed into a folk/rock direction, after seeing "A Hard Days Night". Paul Revere and the Raiders were a hard driving party rock band, covering mostly r&b tunes, until Melcher started bringing them pop/rock tunes like "Kicks" and "Hungry". Out went the raucous party band, replaced with something more refined, Mark Lindsay's singing changed from all out hollering to soft, controlled, and the band did harmonies behind him - a style somewhere between the Beach Boys and the Rolling Stones.
The 4th Wilson Bro.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »

Something to add to the discussion:  Melcher held Brian Wilson in very high esteem.  In the Endless Harmony documentary (as most of you know), Melcher had the highest praise for Brian, and basically said Brian totally outclassed Phil Specter talent-wise.
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2013, 04:50:06 PM »

YEA.. The raiders had a real good rep as a live act for their day..  Their 1st Columbia LP was a live one called "Here they come" Produced By Bruce Johnston. Now this brings up a point  about  the underrated Raiders. They were excellent live so they had to be good musicians so how often did they actually play on their own records..I have no idea. Anyone know.? Also Gram Parsons + Terry Melcher worked on an album together early 70"s for A+M.. Never released.  Anybody ever heard this or own it..Thanks
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2013, 05:09:57 PM »

YEA.. The raiders had a real good rep as a live act for their day..  Their 1st Columbia LP was a live one called "Here they come" Produced By Bruce Johnston. Now this brings up a point  about  the underrated Raiders. They were excellent live so they had to be good musicians so how often did they actually play on their own records..I have no idea. Anyone know.? Also Gram Parsons + Terry Melcher worked on an album together early 70"s for A+M.. Never released.  Anybody ever heard this or own it..Thanks

Whoa. Would love to hear that Parsons/Melcher collabo.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2013, 07:31:13 AM »

Something to add to the discussion:  Melcher held Brian Wilson in very high esteem.  In the Endless Harmony documentary (as most of you know), Melcher had the highest praise for Brian, and basically said Brian totally outclassed Phil Specter talent-wise.

That '71 Rolling Stone cover story on the BBs (in two parts, two consecutive issues) quotes Terry Melcher extensively on the merits of Brian Wilson.
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2013, 07:45:03 AM »

If you've never heard this Equinox Production, you're in for a real treat...

Dave Edmunds: "London's a Lonely Town"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwnyHglHa7k

Bruce, Terry, Curt Boettcher, and Gary Usher on backing vocals.  It was rumored that Brian was somewhere in the mix as well, although that has since been debunked.  Due to contractual reasons this never made it past the acetate stage.  Edmunds later re-cut this with the original "New York's a Lonely Town" lyrics (also a great version), but his remake had no Equinox involvement.

It was briefly discussed on this board back in 2006: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=1166.0

Enjoy!

Lee

[PS: This just occurred to me... Imagine if you were to replace Dave Edmunds' lead vocal with a lead by Carl, and have Mike sing the "My woodie's outside" lines.  What a hell of a Beach Boys retro single that would have been...]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 02:47:32 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2013, 08:14:59 AM »

I've read a lot of books on the Byrds, Crosby et al/  and I have read at least twice that Crosby had a strong dislike for Terry Melcher and his notions about the direction of the band.

Yes, the only son of Doris Day who continues to live in Carmel Valley with her dogs,  a short drive from the Big Sur property of Alan Jardine.  Ryan Melcher is often seen in the area.  I've often thought how lucky Terry was to  have his mothers entrertainment industry connections.

What a time that was to be young, rich, influential, connected, and hanging out at the Sunset Strip scene in those halcyon and golden days.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2013, 09:41:04 AM »

I picked up his first solo album recently - surprisingly good I thought and what an album cover  LOL . His second lp seems to be much harder to find though. Anyone heard it?

There's one song on youtube:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvJJ0u8Ci8M

And I see there are alot of CD copies on Amazon starting at $19. 
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 09:46:13 AM by bgas » Logged

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 01:08:26 PM »

Bruce, Terry, Curt Boettcher, and Gary Usher on backing vocals.  It was rumored that Brian was somewhere in the mix as well, although that has since been debunked.  Due to contractual reasons this never made it past the acetate stage.  Edmunds later re-cut this with the original "New York's a Lonely Town" lyrics (also a great version), but his remake had no Equinox involvement.

It was briefly discussed on this board back in 2006: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=1166.0

Enjoy!

Lee

[PS: This just occurred to me... Imagine if you were to replace Dave Edmunds' lead vocal with a lead by Carl, and have Mike sing the "My woodie's outside" lines.  What a hell of a Beach Boys retro single that would have been...]
This was included on the Australian LP,   Pebbles -- Vol. 4
there's a CD of it available on Ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/380763908077             

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 06:09:38 PM »

Yeah, Chris, but I was never sure how "authorized" those Pebbles compilations were.  They typically consisted of obscure garage singles and album tracks that the record companies had long ago lost track of.  I doubt that any licensing costs or royalties were paid out.  But you're right, "London's a Lonely Town" was technically "released."

Lee
« Last Edit: November 16, 2013, 06:10:36 PM by LeeDempsey » Logged
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2013, 06:46:01 PM »

Terry Melcher did a lot of great backing vocals on a number of Paul Revere and the Raiders songs. 

For an example, check out Good Thing  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGb-ZYQGPA

Written by Mark Lindsay and Terry Melcher, and produced by Melcher, Lindsay sings lead, and all other vocals are done by Melcher.

Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2013, 11:14:33 PM »

Terry Melcher did a lot of great backing vocals on a number of Paul Revere and the Raiders songs. 

For an example, check out Good Thing  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjGb-ZYQGPA

Written by Mark Lindsay and Terry Melcher, and produced by Melcher, Lindsay sings lead, and all other vocals are done by Melcher.

Yeah, Terry's voice is all over those Raider hits. You can hear him very prominently on "Him Or Me", too. So much so that as a kid I thought that voice belonged to one of the Raiders - maybe Phil Volk.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2013, 10:56:24 AM »

Yeah, Chris, but I was never sure how "authorized" those Pebbles compilations were.  They typically consisted of obscure garage singles and album tracks that the record companies had long ago lost track of.  I doubt that any licensing costs or royalties were paid out.  But you're right, "London's a Lonely Town" was technically "released."

Lee

They were  100% boots - BFD  (the label) stood for Big Fucking Deal. Also, there is no Dacron in Ohio.  Smiley

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »

Enjoy!

Lee

This was included on the Australian LP,   Pebbles -- Vol. 4
there's a CD of it available on Ebay:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/380763908077             

Yeah, Chris, but I was never sure how "authorized" those Pebbles compilations were.  They typically consisted of obscure garage singles and album tracks that the record companies had long ago lost track of.  I doubt that any licensing costs or royalties were paid out.  But you're right, "London's a Lonely Town" was technically "released."

Lee

They were  100% boots - BFD  (the label) stood for Big Fucking Deal. Also, there is no Dacron in Ohio.  Smiley

HA!  No disputing any of this. Just pointing out that the track is available other than via Youtube( and there are some other great songs on the LP/CD too! 

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2013, 12:54:07 PM »

Lee

Also when the CD version came out some tracks were removed/replaced because some of the record companies / artists were not happy.

Lee
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx