gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680803 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 08:45:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Board Issues: How You Can Help  (Read 8654 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: July 10, 2010, 04:03:40 PM »

How can you help?  Glad you asked.  Two ways:

1) Help me find a new web host.  The new host will have to be able to handle multiple domain names and will have to be able to move my files from my current host to them.  And, it has to be affordable.

2) If you have issues getting on the board, other than very brief outages, please let me know when it started, who you use to get on the internet, etc.  anything that could be useful until I can act on point number 1.

Thanks!

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2010, 04:18:45 PM »

2) If you have issues getting on the board, other than very brief outages, please let me know when it started, who you use to get on the internet, etc.  anything that could be useful until I can act on point number 1.

My internet is through USI Wireless. Since March 1 or so, there has yet to be a week when I could consistently access the board. Typically I cannot access it for anywhere from 3-6 days at a time (though it has been nearly 3 weeks at least one time and on the high end of that 3-6 day span most times), followed by a few hours to a few days of being able to access it. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use my PC or my Mac, or Firefox, IE, or Safari. I've cleared cache. The main thing I can't help but notice (other than that I can't get on the board, which is quite noticeable) is that it definitely seems to be in streaks, not hit-and-miss per attempt within a day. If I can get on, I can get on for a day or two. If I can't, I can't for a few days or a week. If there is a cost issue for getting a new host, feel free to PM me.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2010, 06:55:02 PM by Luther » Logged

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2010, 06:35:04 PM »

word for word what Luther just said.... I'm in Canada so my webhost likely wouldn't help... but fwiw its acanac.net

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2010, 07:43:42 PM »

FWIW, I'm on a basic cable internet plan in the Northeast and have no trouble at home or in my off time at work accessing the site. Every couple of weeks there may be a few-minute blip, but I'm back on without trouble soon after.
JimC1702
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 11:13:12 AM »

My experience is also the same as Luther's.  Sometimes I can't connect for a couple of weeks at a time, other times I can access multiple times a day for a few days at a time.  Same from work or home.  At both places I use the same ISP (Frontier).

Jim

"Beautiful...beautiful...now it sounds like jewelry.........here we go"
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 06:01:04 PM »

To anyone who has had these issues connecting to smileysmile.net:  Can you connect to the following URLs?

www.comiclist.com
www.thesmileshop.net

SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 12:23:45 PM »

Typically I cannot access it for anywhere from 3-6 days at a time (though it has been nearly 3 weeks at least one time and on the high end of that 3-6 day span most times), followed by a few hours to a few days of being able to access it. It doesn't seem to matter whether I use my PC or my Mac, or Firefox, IE, or Safari. I've cleared cache. The main thing I can't help but notice (other than that I can't get on the board, which is quite noticeable) is that it definitely seems to be in streaks, not hit-and-miss per attempt within a day. If I can get on, I can get on for a day or two. If I can't, I can't for a few days or a week.

Same here!

My ISP is Orange (previously known as Wanadoo). Right now, the two URLs in the previous message work properly; I'll try connecting to them when smileysmile.net fails again.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 03:03:56 PM »

Just experienced a board outage at home (Charter) for a couple of hours, so I checked the links as requested. This particular outage was not the "busy signal" I get from this site sometimes, but a "URL not found" message. The results were:

www.comiclist.com -- yes
www.thesmileshop.net -- no
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 10:39:44 PM »

To anyone who has had these issues connecting to smileysmile.net:  Can you connect to the following URLs?

www.comiclist.com
www.thesmileshop.net
At the moment, yes. But could I have gotten to them these past few days (when this board was not accessible)? Who knows...

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 01:51:42 PM »

Interesting results; so far I've been able to see these "configurations":

1) SmileySmile - ComicList - SmileShop

1) SmileySmile - ComicList - SmileShop (right now)

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2010, 02:52:48 PM »

Nada for all three on campus....

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2010, 04:05:28 PM »

Same as Luther. Just back on after 6 days. Average 2 days over the last few months with a week being the longest. If I am unable to connect at home for a few days, without fail, I have been unable to connect overseas on my netbook also.
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2010, 04:54:15 PM »

Thank you for the replies!

I am in negotiations to move all my webhosting to InMotion.  The move most likely will take place in the next few days, possibly as late as this weekend, so if you notice any interruption of service here, please be patient, it is my hope this move will resolve the issues you have seen.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:13:03 PM »

Thank you for the replies!

I am in negotiations to move all my webhosting to InMotion.  The move most likely will take place in the next few days, possibly as late as this weekend, so if you notice any interruption of service here, please be patient, it is my hope this move will resolve the issues you have seen.

If the fix happened today, it worked!!: I haven't been able to get on SS for months on my LAN line connection (I've only been able to access the site through a wifi connection - and even then it didn't work often). I tried (as I do everyday) to access this site from my LAN based computer and it finally worked today! Hope I didn't jinx it but I think the problem is solved!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Chairman Of The Board

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »

The message board is now BACK!  Let me know if after this weekend you continue to have connection issues.  And thank you for your patience!

EDIT: I apologize for the messages from the last day that are missing.  Hopefully the loss was minimal in number.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:53:35 PM by ComicList » Logged

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 02:16:42 PM »

EDIT: I apologize for the messages from the last day that are missing.  Hopefully the loss was minimal in number.
Can you get them back?
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 03:57:55 AM »

I'm affraid he can't.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx