gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:00:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Landlocked  (Read 4705 times)
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2006, 06:51:31 AM »

I was spinning some vinyl recently and decided to listen to my old boot LP of Landlocked.

I had forgotten about that beautiful early version of Big Sur.

Those harmonies are classic Beachboys.  Possibly as good as on All This is That. 

Made me think of what Holland and subsequent albums might have been.

Have you heard it?
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 07:06:37 AM »

no Sad

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
TV Forces
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 07:08:26 AM »

me neither
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 07:14:55 AM »

Yes, the "Landlocked" version of Big Sur is splendid, almost a bit psychedelic. I could live without the huge amount of echo (I hope that does not offend the recording engineer, who happens to be a regular poster). But as a performance and production, far better than the Holland version.

Could someone identify the background vocalists for me?
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 07:39:57 AM »

Perhaps Mr. D would be willing to expand on the topic. 
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 08:40:21 AM »

I don't think I've heard all of Landlocked, but I have heard some of it. I have to say that I love Good Time in all its formats, as with Big Sur. Lady is a great song, too.

Watch out for snakes!
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 08:59:23 AM »

I prefer the Holland version, think it works better as a waltz and the lyrics fit better without being bent round corners.

But, yeah, it's nice to hear.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 09:11:09 AM »

I wouldn't replace the Holland version with the Landlocked version.  Holland is one of my favorite BBs albums.

But I think the LL version is beautiful on its own and is surprising in its beauty that late into the career of the band.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 09:32:46 AM »

the landlocked version is very sweet and sentimental-sappish, i love it! it's Mike Love at his best hour. dern shame this wasnt released w/ the GV box set or something like that. this is a booted song at its best.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2006, 12:37:09 PM »

the landlocked version is very sweet and sentimental-sappish, i love it! it's Mike Love at his best hour. dern shame this wasnt released w/ the GV box set or something like that. this is a booted song at its best.

I love it for the same reasons.  Very sappy, Mike in top vocal form.

I'd love to hear an official release with a proper clean mastering.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2006, 03:10:15 PM »

Great tune - great little boot despite bad sound (on mine at least).  A friendly Hungarian sold me this boot.  Go Hungary. 
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2006, 03:12:41 PM »

While we're on the subject, does anyone know the deal with 'My Solution'?  That is a most bizarre, yet engaging little number.
Jason
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 03:16:12 PM »

Recorded October 31, 1970, written by Brian, features contributions from Brian (narrator), Carl, Mike, Al, Bruce, and Billy Hinsche. Meant to be a joke, but one of the most widely booted tracks bearing the Beach Boys name. Re-recorded by Brian in 1980, never had any vocals added. Finally released as the melody to Happy Days on Imagination in 1998.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 03:45:07 PM »

Merci!  Strange, strange little number...
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 01:10:23 AM »

I'd love to hear an official release with a proper clean mastering.

Me too. FYI,  the best sounding version of the alternate Big Sur is found on the "Landlocked - Adutl Child" bootleg on the Pegboy label. It is a bit bright, but puts the version on the Dumb Angel Rarities Volume 2 to shame.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 05:11:11 AM »

I've got the Dumb Angel version (Landlocked plus Rarities 2).  I thought it sounded okay, but I've not heard any other.  I thought some of the sound on it was good, comparing 'When Girls Get together' to the one on the twofer, the booted one seemed much fuller and makes better listening with the jingles and the big 'whoomp' drum thing before the verses.  Any reason for that for that sort of thing?  I'm not an audio expert-type and that type of thing's a bit curious. 

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 05:38:56 AM »

Apparently that song sounds better on the original vinyl LP than on the remastered CD. I'm pretty sure Stephen Desper talked about it on the old Desper thread... The big bass part was designed to be as powerful as possible.

Watch out for snakes!
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 06:15:49 AM »

Ah, I've not heard the vinyl.  I didn't think much of the song before hearing the booted version, which brings it alive.  The old thread - not sure I remember, though, truth be told, I probably don't take in everything written on there. 

donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 08:07:02 AM »

My vinyl sounds good but it does sound like it could be fixed up a bit.

The one I have is a paperbag brown sleeve with a tan label listing the band as Carl and The Passions with the mounted Indian Brother logo

Theee enttire back of the album is liner notes and at the end offering a vinyl copy of the entire SMiLE album, finally available.  I 've had this since the early to mid eighties.

They didn't give an address as to where SMiLE could be purchased.  :D :D

I acquired Landlocked through an independent record store owner who bought it with a collection from an individual. 

Same place I found my vinyl copy of  Bamboo.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx