gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680855 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 04:35:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cocktails-amazing song  (Read 2301 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2010, 05:24:08 AM »

Just curious-does anyone else find "Cocktails" to be a devastatingly powerful song...It is actually kind of hard to listen to for me.  That song really seems to reveal all the pain and heartache within Dennis.    As people often said about Brian-it shows that Dennis could write music that really gets to you on an emotional level.  By the way-in the middle of the song is he speaking spanish-the singing is incredible-but it is one of those songs where the lyrics are hard to make out at times.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 10:43:34 AM »

Just curious-does anyone else find "Cocktails" to be a devastatingly powerful song...It is actually kind of hard to listen to for me.  That song really seems to reveal all the pain and heartache within Dennis.    As people often said about Brian-it shows that Dennis could write music that really gets to you on an emotional level.  By the way-in the middle of the song is he speaking spanish-the singing is incredible-but it is one of those songs where the lyrics are hard to make out at times.
Yes Spanish...Por que no dice?...(why don't you tell me?). The song is also great as an instrumental...a separate mix was prepared but didn't make the Legacy set, you can hear a snippet of it in the Real Beach Boy documentary. I think its one of Dennis' best songs, Sinatra could have covered it. The lyrics are killer...If love had its way, I'd build you a smile...If I was a waterfall, I'd fall... and flow into you. The vocals are hard for some people to handle because he was so rough at that point, but to me its about as classic Dennis as you can get.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 01:49:16 PM »

yep, amazing song, real standout find for me along with "love remember me" and "holy man" from the legacy release. plus finally hearing a clean version of "he's a bum"
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 01:53:09 PM by My Brother Woody » Logged

Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 12:32:44 AM »

Cocktails is an amazing song in every way. Dennis sounds a bit like Elvis Costello on that track, if you ask me. (or should it be the other way around?)

In fact, is it just me, or does Dennis just sound awesome on Bambu? I mean his voice itself. I love how he sounds on POB, but for my money his vocals are much stronger on the Bambu stuff. I mean, timbre-wise/technically. Does anyone know if he cleaned up/stopped smoking/was coached by Carl or anything specific? His voice is just a lot more richer/full of detail on the Bambu tracks...... At least to me.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 04:00:44 AM »

Cocktails is an amazing song in every way. Dennis sounds a bit like Elvis Costello on that track, if you ask me. (or should it be the other way around?)

In fact, is it just me, or does Dennis just sound awesome on Bambu? I mean his voice itself. I love how he sounds on POB, but for my money his vocals are much stronger on the Bambu stuff. I mean, timbre-wise/technically. Does anyone know if he cleaned up/stopped smoking/was coached by Carl or anything specific? His voice is just a lot more richer/full of detail on the Bambu tracks...... At least to me.

It's probably just the way it's mixed...he was in MUCH worse shape by then, and his voice is nearly shot on many of those songs ("Cocktails" included).  Jon?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 05:16:01 AM »

Yes cocktails is one of my favourite Dennis songs. I had totally ignored the Bambu disc until the recent BBC4 documentary, and Cocktails just grabbed me whilst watching that. I thought, 'what is that amazing song?', and subsequently delved in to Bambu and found there's some great stuff on there. I agree it seems to convey a huge sorrow in a very beautiful way.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2010, 04:30:15 PM »

I'm not quite sure when All Alone was recorded but I think his vocals are very strong there too.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 02:59:59 AM »

I'm not quite sure when All Alone was recorded but I think his vocals are very strong there too.

June 1978, possibly the 2nd.

There's a whole bunch of session info (and more gig info than any sane person whose surname isn't either Rusten or Doe could possibly want) here:

Vhttp://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs.html
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 03:02:23 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 05:32:53 AM »

Andrew's session link had a "v" in front of it, so it didn't work.  Try it now. 

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs.html
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:42:28 PM »

Dennis is an amazing artist! That's why I worked as hard as I did to get "Mexico" on the new ESQ CD.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 10:16:54 AM »

There's a whole bunch of session info (and more gig info than any sane person whose surname isn't either Rusten or Doe could possibly want) here:

And if you want enough info on the Bambu project to make your head spin, try http://www.beachboysarchives.com/page12.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 01:30:10 AM »

And if you want enough info on the Bambu project to make your head spin, try http://www.beachboysarchives.com/page12.

But sit down first, with a good drink and a plate of cookies - that's serious hard-core stuff... and absolutely great.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx