gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:40:33 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Back to the Beach : A Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys Reader
5 - 12 (85.7%)
4 - 2 (14.3%)
3 - 0 (0%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Back to the Beach : A Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys Reader  (Read 11491 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: February 22, 2006, 03:04:27 AM »

Discuss, review and rate Back to the Beach : A Brian Wilson and the Beach Boys Reader, released October 15, 2002.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jeff Mason
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 06:19:16 AM »

Until a better bio focusing on the band gets released, this is probably the single best first stop for a new fan trying to learn the history.  Combine this book with AGD's book so you have the album facts and dates and you have all you need for Beach Boys 101.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 07:00:52 AM »

If you buy only one book on the Beachboys, this is the one to get.  Well written, respectful, and chock full of informative and entertaining reading.

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 08:16:25 AM »

This is one of my favorites. A lot of great stuff all under one roof. Indispensable.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2006, 01:51:26 AM »

Agreed - a terrific collection of writings about Brian and the Beach Boys from various magazine and newspaper articles over the years, with plenty about SMiLE. How much more does any sane person need to know?!?! One advantage over David Leaf's excellent book is the various authors' takes on the band and what's going on -  it's not one guy's star-struck interpretation of history.  And it's editted by that very very nice chap Kingsley...

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2008, 07:23:13 AM »

Brilliant book. A must-have. Enough said.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2008, 01:27:16 PM »

I think t his book is fantastic! Among LLSV, I re-read this more often than any book I own. I love the details of such rare eras that are discussed such as the Gary Usher/Wilson Project era, or the famous Rolling Stone article with the beach boys chanting: mama-yamma-glory-halalujah

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »

Found it (used!) today. Not sure I recall having ever heard of it before, but was glad to grab it.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
RONDEMON
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 11:55:56 AM »

Yeah this was my first BB book. It's GREAT to have all these rare interviews from rare eras all combined.
It's still my favorite to read.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx