gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:49:28 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Endless Summer
5 - 29 (54.7%)
4 - 13 (24.5%)
3 - 6 (11.3%)
2 - 1 (1.9%)
1 - 1 (1.9%)
0 - 3 (5.7%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer  (Read 28655 times)
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 08:45:34 AM »

Endless Summer has often been the first or one of the first tastes of classic Beach Boys music many fans ever had. I'm one of those. Pet Sounds I heard first and that album alone made me a fan; picking up Endless Summer (on CD, a handful of years before it went out of print) after discovering Pet Sounds initially helped me get a grander view of the Beach Boys and how Brian as a composer and producer matured to that point in 1966. And on top of that, Endless Summer was the first Beach Boys album I ever bought (since the copy of Pet Sounds that I first heard belonged to a friend of mine I was staying with at the time).
As such, it's more valuable to me as a bottle of spirits that helped christen me a true fan, rather than simply as a good album by itself.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 12:36:53 PM »

Endless Summer was first I album I ever owned. I was just a kid and I had a Popeye The Sailor Man record player, lol. I wore-out the needle because those two records were in constant rotation. As a little kid in the late '70s/early '80s I remember being in awe of every song on Endless Summer. I thought every song was so catchy and interesting. And at the time I prefered the fast car/surf songs, but I appreciated the slower ones as well. And like lots of kids back then, I would sit in front of my record player and study the album cover while listening to the album play. I liked Schoolhouse Rock and all the groovy cartoons that were around back then, and the Endless Summer album cover reminded me of that somehow. It wasn't until a few years later when I finally had the Surfer Girl and the Concert album that I discovered that the Beach Boys looked like young guys, and not the hairy bearded cartoon faces on the Endless Summer album cover. Oh, and the poster that came inside the album was on my wall, right next to a Kiss poster I had. My Endless Summer experience was awesome growing up. 5 stars all the way.

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 12:54:10 PM »

Has to be a 5 - hit after hit, and Capitol didn't even include every hit from those years. Was the first BB's album for me.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2013, 03:50:58 PM »

While it made the Beach Boys very popular again, in my opinion this compilation marks the beginning of a slow decline for the Beach Boys.
After "Endless Summer" came out, all the fans wanted the "hits" and the "oldies". Keep in mind this is pre-"Pet Sounds" material.
In the long run, this would damage the Beach Boys image, almost irreparably. For example on major music sites, major music forums, and major music pages on Facebook, while the other Rock Gods are mentioned daily and are major names everyone likes such as the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. The Beach Boys always gets a brief mention. Usually it's only when something big happens with them. Such as the MIC box set coming out. Reactions to them are always either "I don't care" or "I hate surfin' bullshit". Or even "Bubblegum crap". Worst part is, they've been reduced to the 50's 60's section, not the Popular section.
This all started with "Endless Summer". Of course it's not just this compilations fault. Capitol Records, Mike Love and Jim Guercio are also to blame. But it was this that really started it. The beginning of the fall from grace to degenerate to another oldies group.

1.5 out of 5
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2013, 05:09:15 PM »

While it made the Beach Boys very popular again, in my opinion this compilation marks the beginning of a slow decline for the Beach Boys.
After "Endless Summer" came out, all the fans wanted the "hits" and the "oldies". Keep in mind this is pre-"Pet Sounds" material.
In the long run, this would damage the Beach Boys image, almost irreparably. For example on major music sites, major music forums, and major music pages on Facebook, while the other Rock Gods are mentioned daily and are major names everyone likes such as the Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc. The Beach Boys always gets a brief mention. Usually it's only when something big happens with them. Such as the MIC box set coming out. Reactions to them are always either "I don't care" or "I hate surfin' bullshit". Or even "Bubblegum crap". Worst part is, they've been reduced to the 50's 60's section, not the Popular section.
This all started with "Endless Summer". Of course it's not just this compilations fault. Capitol Records, Mike Love and Jim Guercio are also to blame. But it was this that really started it. The beginning of the fall from grace to degenerate to another oldies group.

1.5 out of 5
Interested to find out what music on this album rates it a 1.5? If you think what happened after Endless Summer was a fall from grace, just look at how they were looked upon from Smiley Smile through Sunflower. They couldn't sell records or tickets to shows. At least fans wanted to hear the old music in the 70's and beyond.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
bluesno1fann
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2013, 08:24:03 PM »

1.5 out of 5
Interested to find out what music on this album rates it a 1.5? If you think what happened after Endless Summer was a fall from grace, just look at how they were looked upon from Smiley Smile through Sunflower. They couldn't sell records or tickets to shows. At least fans wanted to hear the old music in the 70's and beyond.

The music itself i'd rate 4 out of 5. But the album itself and the impact made me rate the album 1.5. While the Smiley Smile to Sunflower era was largely unsuccessful commercially, artistically they are some of the best albums the Beach Boys ever made. Same with Surf's Up to Holland. All of these were artistically brilliant. Why it wasn't commercially successful still shocks me.
After Endless Summer, the artistic quality dropped significantly, with mediocre albums such as 15 big ones and M.I.U. (with the exception of Love You, and to an extent, L.A. light album). People only wanted to hear the pre-1966 songs, so they became almost strictly just another oldies group, churning out the old hits.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »

Probably the most damaging event in the band's career.
Great in content but sinister in intent.

Yeah, it destroyed their reputation as artists and innovators. Actually I guess what's worse is that the Beach Boys themselves stopped trying to be innovative make artistic statements. They were only too happy to cash in.

Totally agree, but it was mainly Mike and to an extent, Al who was happy to cash in. Brian was by then mentally ill, and Carl and Dennis wasn't too happy with Mike and Al about cashing in
bluesno1fann
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »

1.5 out of 5

Also, I just realized. It was only in America that they really weren't popular and were struggling. Most other places, especially Europe still held the Beach Boys in high regard and they still sold well over there
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »

Ive met so many people over the years that either were turned onto BB or reminded of the group and became fans again because of this release.. The influence of this record can not be discounted .. IMHO.. Ugly cover but music is 5/5.. And as far as people sayin this turned them into an oldies band.. I think not.. And it isn't Mike's fault either.. That was much later in 90's.. The AUDIENCE turned BB into oldies act.. When your playin the  best of your latest stuff and audience is unruly and yelling for Surfer Girl what the heck are you gonna do..?.. Two choices.. 1} Retire + pump gas  2} Play em.. I don't blame BB.. They tried.. All's forgiven.. The oldies are great anyway.. How are you gonna top ..GOOD VIBRATIONS...?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:29:51 PM by Mr. Wilson » Logged
Mujan, 8@$+@Rc| of a Blue Wizard
Smiley Smile Associate

SMiLE is America: Infinite Potential Never Reached

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 17, 2014, 12:19:37 AM »

I give it a 1. Ruined their artistic careers, spawned a chain of "greatest hits" albums that cheapened their image. I have always gotten flak for being a BBs fan, and this album began that terrible process.

Here are my SMiLE Mixes. All are 2 suite, but still vastly different in several ways. Be on the lookout for another, someday.

Aquarian SMiLE>HERE
Dumb Angel (Olorin Edition)>HERE
Dumb Angel [the Romestamo Cut]>HERE

& This is a new pet project Ive worked on, which combines Fritz Lang's classic film, Metropolis (1927) with The United States of America (1968) as a new soundtrack. More info is in the video description.
The American Metropolitan Circus>HERE
[
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2016, 03:20:43 PM »

1.5 out of 5
I never think of the Beach Boys - even in their artsy, Pet Sounds, Smile era - as having any connection musically with bands like Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. I wouldn't expect a fan of those bands to like the BB's - too sweet, too cheery, too pop-sounding, not enough heavy guitars, or indecipherable lyrics (Van Dyke Parks aside). It always amazes me that people that mostly listen to hard rock or 'art rock' like the Beatles. I don't know if they just mean the Beatles of the white album and Abbey Road, or if they actually do appreciate A Hard Days Night and Meet the Beatles. IMHO there was a divide in rock music in the late 60's - bands like Zep and Floyd had no interest in creating hit singles, it was all about the album as an art form. The Beatles, Beach Boys, Stones had always worked at creating great singles. Now, suddenly, in, say 1969 or '70, you were looked down on if you were a band like the Guess Who or Creedence that actually tried to create hit singles.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx