gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:16:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Endless Summer
5 - 29 (54.7%)
4 - 13 (24.5%)
3 - 6 (11.3%)
2 - 1 (1.9%)
1 - 1 (1.9%)
0 - 3 (5.7%)
Total Voters: 49

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Endless Summer  (Read 28672 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005, 04:11:36 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Endless Summer, released June 1974.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2005, 03:03:58 PM by Charles LePage » Logged

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
Jason
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 04:12:20 PM »

For what it's worth and what it meant to the band's popularity, it's a fine album. Incorrect versions aside, a close-to-perfect compilation. 5.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 04:18:22 PM »

Probably the most damaging event in the band's career.
Great in content but sinister in intent.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005, 04:22:22 PM »

First and only Beach Boys album I heard until the mid-90s, when I read about and bought Pet Sounds, meaning for about 15 years, this was the only Beach Boys I had ever heard. My parents had the vinyl.

I hated the Beach Boys until I bought Pet Sounds, which doesn't speak well for Endless Summer, I guess. But a look at the running order tells me I'd like it more if I were hearing it now.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
JRauch
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 02:37:31 AM »

"Probably the most damaging event in the band's career.
Great in content but sinister in intent."

You nailed it.

Dance as if no one's looking. Wrestle things out to bring moment to your own sense of discovery, and make the world a better place. This is no time for whiners.  –  Van Dyke Parks
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 12:27:22 PM »

Ian is right.....content good....intent bad
SurferGirl7
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005, 01:15:37 PM »

Album also influnced me becoming a fan. Great songs on here. Good for the converter. But yes a mixed bag it is. Forever connecting them to sun and surf and nothing else forever. Sad.
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2006, 11:37:25 AM »

The door I came in.  Serendipity of the sweetest kind.   

« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 05:55:34 PM by Compost » Logged
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2006, 03:40:15 PM »

The most important album - financially speaking - in the Beach Boys' history.

A great track listing, despite some serious omissions.

Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2006, 12:41:53 AM »

Probably the most damaging event in the band's career.
Great in content but sinister in intent.

Yeah, it destroyed their reputation as artists and innovators. Actually I guess what's worse is that the Beach Boys themselves stopped trying to be innovative make artistic statements. They were only too happy to cash in.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2006, 02:38:00 PM by Mike Lovestein » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
MBE
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2006, 11:33:44 PM »

Hate the cover, I hate the duophonic mixes. Really think Be True and Help Me should have been the 45 versions. It did have a horrible influence on the band but.............
It really was the way so many of us first heard The Beach Boys. I bought it in 88 and something like Girl Don't Tell Me made me realise they were more then a surf band. Yet could you image how cool it could have been if it had used the correct mono mixes and had maybe a half dozen more songs. Liner notes and photos would have been nice too.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2006, 01:40:46 AM »

did they even have an image as 'artists and innovators' back in 1973? i can't tell 'cause i wasn't there, but it's hard to imagine the beach boys being viewed that way even after the moderately convincing success of surf's up and the holland album. it's a bummer since i personally love their '68-'73 work enormously and i just wish they would have released it's ok as a single in '74 after endless summer and then went on releasing an album containing that song amongst carry me home, river song, hard times, good timing et al. it's not as if they wouldn't have had a choice in 1974. they just stopped for whatever reason expanding their work both commercially and artistically. at least that's the way it seems to me.

talking about endless summer on its own, it's a 5, hands down.
MBE
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2006, 12:58:46 AM »

Everyone I have talked to who dug The Beach Boys pre Endless Summer and post 65 thought of them as a progressive, even underground, band.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 07:57:22 AM »

The beach boys tried to change, but nobody was buying it....so this is the result

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
thomasogg
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2007, 02:41:12 PM »

No-one made them give up on being inventive and experimental! So this album was a huge success? They didn't HAVE to therefore retreat back to being an oldies band to quite such an extent surely?

Love the cover though. Just the Wilsons - yeh, that's about right!!
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2007, 03:33:39 PM »

I always thought the blond guy with the beard was Al Jardine.

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 06:12:12 PM »

I always thought the blond guy with the beard was Al Jardine.

Front cover to me looks like SMiLE-era Brian, Al, and Mike, and on the back Carl reading the comic book and Dennis' face on the surfboard, and on the inside,  1970s-era Brian or a really fat Ricky Fataar (highly unlikely) selling balloons, a really muscular version of either Dennis or Ricky Fatarr lifting weights, and Bruce Johnston inside the hotdog stand in the background.

This was my first introduction to the Beach Boys. When I was a little kid circa 1992 my mom was always blasting it from the stereo. First BB song I ever heard was California Girls. I always thought the "I got the pink slip, daddy" line from Little Deuce Coupe was "I got the big slip daddy". Whatever the hell a "big slip daddy" is. Unfortunately my first sight of a BB performance was the Lovester on Full House when I was 6 or 7, I more than made up for it a few years later when I saw Brian doing a concert/documentary on PBS in the late 90s (probably Imagination-I remember he dedicated a song to Carl-could've been Lay Down Burden, can't really remember).

Endless Summer is a pretty good comp, I've got my mom's old vinyl copy in my own collection now. But I absolutely hate what direction (or lack therof) they took after it came out. POB was the true follow-up to Holland, too bad the rest of the group decided to stop writing good songs (save for a few Brian songs).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 07:44:38 AM by ascrodin » Logged

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 10:14:59 PM »

Also, I initially heard this when I was about 7 or 8 in 1987/88 was when my uncle played this album during a party......I loved Surfin' Safari....... I think the cover is great....really captures the bizarre essence of the band...."mysterious and scary....yet something reassuring and positive" ..... all from the cover!!! I think this is a great record....I love how LHRW is included on here...in college I was playing this CD and that was my 1st exposure to LHRW...unbelievable. The dynamics alone on LHRW are enough to impress, but with the voices, instruments, structure, and meaning....WOW.

Endless Summer is a great record, a great way to be introduced to the band....even if the duophonic sux.......but I prefer the Girls on the Beach from this record....

I give this a 5. Not only is there more hits than most bands could ever dream of creating, it has a really cool, creative, thought provoking, and original cover! IMO I mean could those bearded dudes really sound so sweet??
danmiller3
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2009, 06:44:39 PM »

I've always loved this album, the cover, the music - it was the tape my parents would pop in as soon as we got close to the beach when I was a kid.  For me, it was the perfect introduction to what would become my favorite band. 

I would love to clear up if indeed the three men on the cover are Al, Brian and Mike?  The 'blonde' looks like Al, Brian is definitely Brian and I assume the last on to be either Carl or Mike.  It just seems like Mike was given more hair than I thought he had at that point?  I assume Dennis is on the surfboard and Carl must be the guy reading?  Any clarification would be great.  Thanks!

Dan
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2009, 04:59:27 PM »

The guy in the middle has to be Mike.  You can't see the top of the guy's head, which would have been bald.  It was out of kindness to Mike.  Al is on the right of the album cover.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2009, 10:48:21 AM »

dennis is the one on the surf board...ie the "surfer" of the group.
carl is reading comic book sargent rock..ie his being drafted plus he has a life preserver on due to his "CO" status in the draft. i always got a chuckle out of that illustration.

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
dennyschild
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 11:52:12 AM »

I really like Endless Summer. So far it's the best.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2009, 11:52:30 AM »

Interesting that this came out in June 1974, exactly 10 years after the group started the sessions for Today.  In June 1964, they mostly left behind the surf & car cr*p and went to significantly more sophisticated tracks and lyrics.  In June 1974, they went back to the simple and the silly.  A 10-year run ended by a desire to cash in on the nostalgia boom.

This is an over-generalization, I know.  But not by very much.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2013, 12:19:25 AM »

Pet Sounds and this album define the core of the BBs legend. Five stars!!! Grin

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
scooby1970
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2013, 05:33:34 AM »

I gave this a 5/5 simply because it's the first Beach Boys compilation I bought, and it has a solid line-up of songs. Without this album, a lot of people would not have been introduced to The Beach Boys. It cemented their place in history,and could possibly be the album that has given them, as a group, the longevity that they have had.

Smiley Mark

Long time Beach Boys fan and collector. Long time forum browser.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx