gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:51:15 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: VDP Esso Trinidad Steelband + Datsun Commercial query...  (Read 2591 times)
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 04, 2010, 04:26:50 PM »

Sorry if this has been dealt with before, but did a search and nothing... on the BB's periphery I know but I read that Esso Trinidad Steelband released a single of 'Superstar' as "Superstar/Singer man WB 7532 (1971)".

Sadly that song was not a part of the *awesome* recent Bananastan VDP presents The Esso Trinidad Steelband so I'm still none the wiser. Is that song the same as The Carpenters' 'Superstar' (was it written by Paul Wiliams?) ...  Of course American Spring covered that Carpenters song. I would love to know, and if a different song, who wrote it? Thanks in advance... Andrew G. Doe  I bet you might know Shocked)

Does anyone here have the very rare VDP 'Datsun Commercial'? I do not want to go to the grave without hearing this too !!!

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 07:19:58 PM »

"Superstar" was written by Leon Russell and Bonnie Bramlett.
Christian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 09:12:34 PM »

Does anyone here have the very rare VDP 'Datsun Commercial'? I do not want to go to the grave without hearing this too !!!

Still streaming:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LH

Go to the playlist of October 20, 2007, at 24:16 you´ll hear VDP´s "Datsun Commercial".
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 03:17:08 AM »

Still streaming:

http://www.wfmu.org/playlists/LH

Go to the playlist of October 20, 2007, at 24:16 you´ll hear VDP´s "Datsun Commercial".

I have a hard time imagining the executives at Datsun listening the music they've just paid for and thinking that it would sell a car...
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 03:37:58 AM »

Wasn't there an Ice Capades commercial by VDP as well? I don't know what Ice Capades are, or were, incidentally.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
mtaber
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:19:23 AM »

Ice Capades was a traveling ice show, ice skating with music.  Lots of skaters and usually each tour featured a "name" skater such as Dorothy Hamill, Gold-Medal winner...

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 05:47:18 AM »

Ice Capades was a traveling ice show, ice skating with music.  Lots of skaters and usually each tour featured a "name" skater such as Dorothy Hamill, Gold-Medal winner...

Cheers. I suddenly hear 'Roller Skating Child' in my head. Don't know why. Weird song. Fascinating. Some band with middle-aged guys singing about skating with a very young girl. And her parents.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 06:06:13 AM »

Sorry if this has been dealt with before, but did a search and nothing... on the BB's periphery I know but I read that Esso Trinidad Steelband released a single of 'Superstar' as "Superstar/Singer man WB 7532 (1971)".

Sadly that song was not a part of the *awesome* recent Bananastan VDP presents The Esso Trinidad Steelband so I'm still none the wiser. Is that song the same as The Carpenters' 'Superstar' (was it written by Paul Wiliams?) ...  Of course American Spring covered that Carpenters song. I would love to know, and if a different song, who wrote it? Thanks in advance... Andrew G. Doe  I bet you might know Shocked)

Googling, I find a copy of the Superstar 45 available for sale:
http://recordfinders.musicstack.com/item.cgi?item=158979000

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
willy
Smiley Smile Associate

Hooga hagga hooga!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:33:29 PM »

Datsun Commercial here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UvwaB6Bx60

Crikey! That's bonkers... I'd like to hear a good quality version.

I bumped my head, the sky turned red, the aardvark said "Banana!"
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx