gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 05:50:02 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Like In I Love You" Is Streaming  (Read 30982 times)
Louie Napoli
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: June 30, 2010, 12:41:08 PM »

He did win a Grammy for Smile -- best rock instrumental. Har.
Some folks need to read ENTIRE posts before they answer!!!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 30, 2010, 12:42:55 PM »

Louie -- I did. Your post wasn't written clearly.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: June 30, 2010, 12:56:51 PM »

Brian probably would've won at least one more Grammy if Ray Charles hadn't died so shortly before the ceremonies.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 30, 2010, 01:42:26 PM »

A Where's that R&R album anyway? Wink

Back burner  Tongue

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 30, 2010, 01:47:26 PM »

My understanding is that songs are written and recorded. I'm just not sure if the interest is there to release it.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 30, 2010, 01:58:09 PM »

Brian's interested, should be enough...

Oh wait *thinking of the people that surround Brian*, that's not enough  Grin

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 30, 2010, 02:14:42 PM »

Brian and the folks around him still like major label release and distribution, FWIW.

Listen, I (and a lot of people here) would have loved to see BW just chuck the major label machinery some 10 years ago and release everything he thought of or coughed up online. And from what I read, he's continued to write and record with Scott B. since TLOS.

But it seems like, right now, labels are more interested in "projects" that can be easily sold. And, in the Gershwin case, at least it's a project that really seemed to interest and involve Brian.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 30, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »

Did nobody besides me notice that Brian had hundreds of unfinished Gershwin segments to work with, and he only used two?
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 30, 2010, 04:19:55 PM »

I think that's all they asked for. He was signed to do a Gershwin covers album, using mainly well-known songs. The "new" stuff is a bonus, and the estate controls access to those unpublished song fragments very tightly. (I believe the estate is parceling out a couple of more such fragments for a Phil Ramone-produced album that will come out later this year.)
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 30, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »

If someone is no longer a fan of Brian because he used autotune -- they should have dropped out after BW88. (That used an early type of pitch correction -- or so AGD's site suggests.)

Sorry to return to the subject of autotune/pitch correction, but do you know any more details about any pre-autotune pitch correction; it's interesting, I do for one gather that engineers would sometimes skillfully manipulate tape speeds to correct certain notes (?).

Cheers

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 30, 2010, 04:50:04 PM »

There were lots of ways. On BW88, AGD suggests it was a Fairlight --

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairlight

-- Which presumably would have allowed engineers to alter BW's pitch through drawing on a screen. You could pitch correct before digital, too, but it was a somewhat more arduous process.

A device called the Eventide Harmonizer apparently did it too. My (entirely uninformed) guess is that the BBs first used pitch correction -- in some form -- on BB85. There are arguably some sampled vocals on there, and my guess is Steve Levine did something to BW's vox on the album.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 04:56:16 PM by Wirestone » Logged
oldsurferdude
« Reply #161 on: June 30, 2010, 04:53:56 PM »

My understanding is that songs are written and recorded. I'm just not sure if the interest is there to release it.
It would have been recorded using autotune  so it right away it would suck  no matter how great the songs were. Head Spin
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 30, 2010, 04:55:42 PM »

I was having some doubts about this album...then I heard this song. WOW!!!!!!! One of the best from him I've heard in a long time.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 30, 2010, 04:58:56 PM »

Was it indeed a Fairlight? I could've sworn it was a Synclavier....

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2010, 05:02:06 PM »

http://www.btinternet.com/~bellagio/gigs88.html

And correction -- the note about the Fairlight is for a single song -- "One For the Boys."
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: June 30, 2010, 11:09:21 PM »

-- Which presumably would have allowed engineers to alter BW's pitch through drawing on a screen. You could pitch correct before digital, too, but it was a somewhat more arduous process.

A device called the Eventide Harmonizer apparently did it too. My (entirely uninformed) guess is that the BBs first used pitch correction -- in some form -- on BB85. There are arguably some sampled vocals on there, and my guess is Steve Levine did something to BW's vox on the album.

The intro vocals to "It's Gettin' late" have always sounded sampled to me, from first listen. The decay is way too abrupt.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 30, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »

Yes, that was one application for the H3000. Back then the wonderfully named 'Publison Infernal Machine' was another option.

Along with the aforementioned method of varying the (tape) speed, a notch in the EQ at the right place can also give an apparent shift. Kind of hard to explain, but it removes anything that conflicts with another part of the track but still leaves much of the vocal intact. Maybe Stephen Desper or Mark Linnet could expand on that - without necessarily commenting on Brian's track - and add some more insight?
Perhaps the typically contemporary uses of Autotune makes some people quickly write it off as a bad thing or a sign of the artist needing a helping hand. But engineers have always been able to augment performances. I believe one of the benefits of such as Antares is simply to speed-up a process that once took a lot longer.
As for the track itself, I think 'The Like in I Love You' sounds very nice, and I'm happy to have new material from Brian to listen to.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 11:42:35 PM by MZ6 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: July 01, 2010, 12:29:51 AM »

Steve Desper told me he used a Harmonizer to prepare the tapes for Brian's "water machine" keyboard request during the Smile sessions.

Re: BW88, Andy Paley said a Synclavier was used "to correct a few bum notes", but I'm informed by a hugely reliable source that the AFM sheets refer to it as a Fairlight.

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 01, 2010, 02:27:45 AM »

What's interesting about ProTools is how similar it is in some ways to the '60s brand of recording.  What I understand is that in the '60s you didn't have very many tracks at your disposal and punching was difficult (at least punching out was), so engineers would do multiple takes and edit them together.  Savvy engineers were still doing this with basics in the '70s and beyond in analog, but with 24-track, it was much easier to punch in and out and create a master take on a track...e.g., you might have 1, 2, or 3 tracks for vocals, but the process was to cut into each individual track and perfect that take.

Now with ProTools, you can still do that, but it's more common to do multiple takes of a vocal (or another track) and edit the best parts together...which is more the '60s brand of recording, except now you're editing a bunch of individual tracks except for the whole thing.  Though what I was told by some old timers is some engineers were proficient enough with cutting tape that they could actually edit out specific tracks by cutting into PART of the tape.  That blows my mind, but apparently some people could do it.

Anyway, there have always been cheats of one form or another, at least ever since the invention of reverb and varispeed.  Some of your favorite "live" '60s singers may have had edits comped together from 25 different takes...which is very similar to how it's done today.
MZ6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2010, 02:32:11 AM »

Good post. And specifically -

Though what I was told by some old timers is some engineers were proficient enough with cutting tape that they could actually edit out specific tracks by cutting into PART of the tape.  That blows my mind, but apparently some people could do it.

I've seen an old BBC engineer doing this with a pair of scissors. Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: July 01, 2010, 02:45:30 AM »

Though what I was told by some old timers is some engineers were proficient enough with cutting tape that they could actually edit out specific tracks by cutting into PART of the tape.  That blows my mind, but apparently some people could do it.

Again, SWD told me he did just that with the horn "Take A Load Off Your Feet" for the final mix, where it swaps channels: the original master had both honks in one channel, so he did what he called a "window" edit and transferred just that single second "honk" from left to right.

Speaking of manual editing feats, apparently after Dennis Dragon had hand-spliced the master track for "Soulful Old Man Sunshine" from multiple takes, the result looked like a pedestrian crossing. A razor blade and edit tape are wonderful things in the right hands.

Going back to punch-ins, Bones Howe used to record The Association's more complex vocals one line at a time, and individually.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 02:47:30 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2010, 04:03:40 AM »

Ooo lots of interesting stuff there Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2010, 04:17:56 AM »

It would have been recorded using autotune  so it right away it would suck  no matter how great the songs were. Head Spin

Actually, if Autotune was used at all (which is open to debate...) it would be applied post-recording, and the off notes would be corrected gradually, not while recording.

The other thing to bear in mind is that one can apply pitch correction to individual parts of individual notes, and you don't have to put a whole take through Autotune. So the BW vocal may well not be Autotuned, but could well be pitch-correctedWink

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 01, 2010, 09:25:46 AM »

I'm a little late to the party (and the inevitable autotune debate), but the track sounds great to me.  Brian sounds fantastic, the chords and arrangement are great, and the song has a polished feel that compliments the material.  I admit, at first I was a bit skeptical on the project, but hearing this track has me very excited to pick up the album.  Even if he had a little help, Brian sounds better than any 68 year old former chain smoker has any right to.   It defies logic, but Brian's voice has really improved as he's aged - plus, he's really seemed more engaged in his singing ever since BWPS.  It can only mean good things are still to come down the road, as long as Brian's drive to create stays intact.
JaredLekites
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: July 01, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »

Brian's voice on this track really shines. Great blend of vocals and instruments.

I can't wait to hear the rest of the album.

jaredlekites.bandcamp.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx