gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681558 Posts in 27642 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 13, 2024, 03:55:24 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Like In I Love You" Is Streaming  (Read 31236 times)
Paulos
« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2010, 12:24:27 PM »

MP3?  Cool Tongue

The file is 3.82 MB if you want to fish it out of your temp files.  Just find it and rename it with a .mp3 extension  Smiley

I'm using Firefox and it was in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\rxzuzfuz.default\Cache

This doesnt work for me I'm afraid, I don't even seem to have a documents and settings but then I am somewhat computarded! Ah well, just have to keep listening to it straight from the site until it's released, very nice and lovely vocal (auto tuned or otherwise) from Brian
Aaron Sunchymes
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2010, 12:35:29 PM »

Absolutely fantastic sound. Brian's arrangements and textures sound great in combination with Gershwin's music!

Brian's vocal sound excellent as well. I can't wait to hear the album.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2010, 12:37:35 PM »

MP3?  Cool Tongue

The file is 3.82 MB if you want to fish it out of your temp files.  Just find it and rename it with a .mp3 extension  Smiley

I'm using Firefox and it was in C:\Documents and Settings\YOUR USER NAME HERE\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\rxzuzfuz.default\Cache

This doesnt work for me I'm afraid, I don't even seem to have a documents and settings but then I am somewhat computarded! Ah well, just have to keep listening to it straight from the site until it's released, very nice and lovely vocal (auto tuned or otherwise) from Brian

It's hit some file sharing sites (if I can say that here?), easy to download

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2010, 12:39:14 PM »

MP3?  Cool Tongue

The file is 3.82 MB if you want to fish it out of your temp files.  Just find it and rename it with a .mp3 extension  Smiley

MOD EDIT - Please do not post links to audio downloads on here.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:52:11 PM by The Real Beach Boy » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2010, 12:49:43 PM »

BW has been pitch corrected by computer since the 88 album. Not really a big deal -- it's all about the performance quality, which in this case seems to be excellent. (The one non auto tuned BW album is GIOMH -- which most people consider his worst.)

wat? There's a world of difference between pitch correction and autotune and the quality that each present in a final vocal. Running this vocal through a filter is lazy, and creats a very wavery, somewhat robotic tone that just sounds like ass. The autotune used here brings the quality down a notch, sadly.

Its not a bug - he needs it to sound in tune. Just think of it as another effect, like reverb or EQ or something. I'm fine with it, and if it wasn't used it would probably sound much grimmer.

Brian can sing just fine, he does not *need* it to be in tune. All he needs to do is be given a few run throughs of the song and comping with a bit of pitch correction should be all he needs to have a great sounding vocal.

Autotune goes way beyond reverb, EQ, compression etc.

I think some of our ears need autotune Smiley Some of us hear it and think it soundss great, others think it sounds horrible.  I agree with Andrew I don't hear autotune on it, I think that card gets played a little too much.  Even if it has autotune who cares?  Like said above just another effect, I suppose reverb is horrible too.

I hear it, and I'm not "playing a card". I don't hear the doubling, but then I'm not listening with headphones right now. But as for autotune, I hear it and yes, I care, because it ruins and cheapens a vocal.

It must be horrible to be caught with the bug that anytime you hear something beautiful your mind starts picking apart reasons why it's not really beautiful.

The way I hear it, that's a damn beautiful song well written well produced well arranged well recorded and well sung. 

IF he's autotuning I hope the hell he keeps it up.  Maybe throw a little more on there, drown that sucker in autotune if that's the result.

Autotune isn't responsible for the tone of Brian's vocal - that's all him. Removing the autotune and possibly using a bit of tasteful pitch correction would likely make his vocal even better.

And there's nothing wrong with pointing out a serious flaw. Yes, this is a great listen, but the fact that it's plagued by something very modern and something that's gonna sound horribly dated in a decade (i.e. autotune) really takes it from being absolutely great to just really good.

It's scary that it's used so commonly that a lot of people seemingly can't tell anymore. Yes, when used for effect ala Ke$ha it's blatantly obvious, but it's used so commonly for "perfection' now that people are becoming numb to it and it's a little sad.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: June 29, 2010, 01:00:45 PM »

OK, this is the last time I'm going to say this, promise.

There is no autotune on Brian's vocal in this song. Not only do I not hear it (with or without cans) but I have compelling reason to believe this to be the case. There y'go. You carry on thinking what you think, I'll trundle on down my path. From where the sun now stands, I will argue no more forever. On this topic, anyway.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 29, 2010, 01:41:04 PM »

I can't figure out how to re-stream the song to make sure, but Brian's vocal sounded natural enough to me.  I would agree that it probably was tuned a bit here and there, but not egregiously.  I never use it on my own records and very rarely on others', so I actually don't know it well enough to spot it.  I just dislike it on principle.

One thing the guy I worked with for years and who mentored my own production skills told me you can fix anything in ProTools EXCEPT the timbre and quality of the vocal.  If the person phones in the performance or sings with the wrong attack or feel, you can tune it all you want and it's still going to be crap.  What impresses me about these vocals is how much warmth and character is in them.  Brian's voice has ruined a lot of his earlier work for me, but with this and the last record, I am REALLY starting to like it.  There's a weathered but gentle quality to it that I find very moving.   I saw the youtube video of "God Only Knows" and of course it isn't as good as the studio work, but it does have that same quality to it.

I'm just really impressed.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 29, 2010, 01:44:42 PM »

There is no autotune on Brian's vocal in this song. Not only do I not hear it (with or without cans) but I have compelling reason to believe this to be the case. There y'go. You carry on thinking what you think, I'll trundle on down my path. From where the sun now stands, I will argue no more forever. On this topic, anyway.  Smiley

Fair enough, but curious, what is your compelling reason? Not that I doubt you, just wondering.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 29, 2010, 02:11:40 PM »

I like it, it's very gentle and Brian sounds vulnerable (in a good way), I like the fact that he is hitting some high notes!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 29, 2010, 02:15:06 PM »

Runners -- Autotune is pitch correction. It's software that you can use as much of as little as you like. It has come to mean a heavily processed, almost entirely robotic-sounding vocal, but that's an extreme use.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:20:27 PM by Wirestone » Logged
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 29, 2010, 02:16:59 PM »

Great accomplishment and honor, kudos to all involved.  

It doesn't "grab" me personally.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #111 on: June 29, 2010, 02:47:01 PM »

Runners -- Autotune is pitch correction. It's software that you can use as much of as little as you like. It has come to mean a heavily processed, almost entirely robotic-sounding vocal, but that's an extreme use.

Classic example: Cher, "Believe" (that effect was intentional)

Not good example - Mike Love, Live at Knebworth 1980

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #112 on: June 29, 2010, 04:10:45 PM »

So basically what you're saying is you don't know either?

If there are compelling reasons for believing that Brian's performance is pitch correction-free then why don't you stop being so coy and tell us which member of the production team or their affiliates confirmed this? Without this I don't see that anything is compelling, and we'll all just continue to assume that its pretty unlikely that Brian could pull off a vocal like that without a bit of help, which is fine by me - he is 67 after all.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 29, 2010, 04:18:43 PM »

hooooooooooooo boy! LOL
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 04:55:11 PM by Jonas » Logged

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 29, 2010, 04:48:58 PM »

Great accomplishment and honor, kudos to all involved.  

It doesn't "grab" me personally.

That pretty well sums up my reaction too, but it's just one song. Some of the snippets of other numbers heard in the promo video sound more intriguing to me...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: June 29, 2010, 07:36:50 PM »

Guess few people

So basically what you're saying is you don't know either?

If there are compelling reasons for believing that Brian's performance is pitch correction-free then why don't you stop being so coy and tell us which member of the production team or their affiliates confirmed this? Without this I don't see that anything is compelling, and we'll all just continue to assume that its pretty unlikely that Brian could pull off a vocal like that without a bit of help, which is fine by me - he is 67 after all.

I may not see anything compelling but I sure as hell hear compelling evidence that leads me to believe Andrew is right.

That said, he already said he'd let the matter lie...why bring it back up?!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 29, 2010, 07:48:48 PM »

It is pitch correction, sure, but there's doing it manually when you've hit a few notes that are slightly sharp or flat and just being lazy and running all of it through an autotune filter to make your entire vocal performance wavery and sh*t.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
mtaber
« Reply #117 on: June 29, 2010, 08:02:23 PM »

Why the heck does anyone care to make such a big deal out of the autotune debate?  Is that a cotton shirt Brian is wearing or is it some sort of synthetic material?  Does Brian put sugar in his coffee or artificial sweetener? 
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 29, 2010, 08:08:22 PM »

Bottom-lines:

This is a quality new BW/Gershwin composition that is well recorded and produced. Brian is singing very well, we can mostly all agree on that. Auto-tune cannot correct a vocal if the "passion" or "force" of a singer is deficient.

AGD is a trusted source who has been around the block many times. He has spoken to someone close to the action on the autotune thing. Having read his posts for years I can probably guess within four or five people who that is. But even saying that, guessing is kinda side-stepping the fact that AGD is not revealing his source because a) is keeping his confidence, and a trustworthy person is something that is lacking in today's society and b) he doesn't have to reveal to a bunch of internet boarders.

I would not expect him to leap to my defense like I did for him, but that's life.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 29, 2010, 08:18:01 PM »

Why the heck does anyone care to make such a big deal out of the autotune debate?  Is that a cotton shirt Brian is wearing or is it some sort of synthetic material?  Does Brian put sugar in his coffee or artificial sweetener? 

When you can notice autotune, it's absolutely annoying.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2010, 09:06:23 PM »

Why the heck does anyone care to make such a big deal out of the autotune debate?  Is that a cotton shirt Brian is wearing or is it some sort of synthetic material?  Does Brian put sugar in his coffee or artificial sweetener?  

When you can notice autotune, it's absolutely annoying.

Amen.

Why would this person who Andrew has supposedly talked to not want fans to know his/her identity?

It's just a song.

I don't care for pitch correction. Talent should be able to stand on its own. That said, Brian didn't need this and it's a shame it had to be released this way. Like many other opinions of mine argued against by AGD, he has yet to sway me.

Anyways, on a lighter note, the song has great chords. The harmonies in the intro are a nice touch. Can't wait to hear the rest of the album.  Grin
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:08:06 PM by jammer730 » Logged
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2010, 09:08:44 PM »

Why the heck does anyone care to make such a big deal out of the autotune debate?  Is that a cotton shirt Brian is wearing or is it some sort of synthetic material?  Does Brian put sugar in his coffee or artificial sweetener?  

Well, now that I haven't just got back from the pub I feel pretty much the same way, and am now going to leave it well alone. I respect everyone's opinions on the autotune question, especially AGD's, and am retiring from the debate.

BTW, judging by the curve of Brian's stomach in the film I'd say it was sugar!  Wink

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:09:51 PM by brother john » Logged

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2010, 09:21:11 PM »

Bottom-lines:

This is a quality new BW/Gershwin composition that is well recorded and produced. Brian is singing very well, we can mostly all agree on that. Auto-tune cannot correct a vocal if the "passion" or "force" of a singer is deficient.

AGD is a trusted source who has been around the block many times. He has spoken to someone close to the action on the autotune thing. Having read his posts for years I can probably guess within four or five people who that is. But even saying that, guessing is kinda side-stepping the fact that AGD is not revealing his source because a) is keeping his confidence, and a trustworthy person is something that is lacking in today's society and b) he doesn't have to reveal to a bunch of internet boarders.

Exactly. You summed it up perfectly. And regardless of whether auto-tune was used or not, the vocal was outstanding, as is the rest of the song.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
bossaroo
Smiley Smile Associate

...let's be friends...

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2010, 10:10:41 PM »

I vote yes on a double-tracked vocal and a real bass.
I don't know about auto-tune, but the vocal doesn't sound wavery or like sh*t to me.

i'm a little confused why this song was chosen and given entirely new lyrics when it was basically a finished piece.
I'd really like to know what Brian's exact contributions were. And I haven't seen Scott Bennett's name mentioned anywhere yet. except here.

all in all, this is a wonderful new entry in the Brian Wilson catalog and this album should do lot to reinforce the fact that Brian is a serious American composer... just in case anyone doesn't "get it" by now.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 10:11:41 PM by bossaroo » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2010, 10:29:05 PM »

Understand that Brian's performance itself is great. Outright, no questions asked, he's sounded better and better since the mid 80s. And the song is really nice, too. It's the production on his voice that I'm not so into - the wavery quality isn't anything to do with his performance.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx