gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 08:54:18 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Like In I Love You" Is Streaming  (Read 30929 times)
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2010, 06:44:23 AM »

Beautiful

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Foster's Freeze
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »

The beginning reminds me of "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring"

Mike's not a Hawthorne boy. The Hawthorne guys stuck together. The Wilsons and I always had a special bond. We felt like we were a team.
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2010, 06:55:02 AM »

It must be horrible to be caught with the bug that anytime you hear something beautiful your mind starts picking apart reasons why it's not really beautiful.

The way I hear it, that's a damn beautiful song well written well produced well arranged well recorded and well sung. 

IF he's autotuning I hope the hell he keeps it up.  Maybe throw a little more on there, drown that sucker in autotune if that's the result.

The live clip was great too, damn I can't believe he's singing subtle again.  He actually looked like he knew it sounded good too.  Lovin' it!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »

Check this out - looks like my insane idea was damn close !

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/news/2010-06-29-wilson29_st_N.htm

Yes, cool video. Did Brian do all the backgrounds we can hear on "Rhapsody" in that clip himself?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2010, 06:59:37 AM »

It must be horrible to be caught with the bug that anytime you hear something beautiful your mind starts picking apart reasons why it's not really beautiful.

The way I hear it, that's a damn beautiful song well written well produced well arranged well recorded and well sung. 

IF he's autotuning I hope the hell he keeps it up.  Maybe throw a little more on there, drown that sucker in autotune if that's the result.

The live clip was great too, damn I can't believe he's singing subtle again.  He actually looked like he knew it sounded good too.  Lovin' it!

I don't hear any autotune - sounds way too natural.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2010, 07:01:32 AM »

Oh poor Brian, you've caught the auto-tune bug. Anybody else think one of the double tracked lead vocals is in auto-tune?

'Scuse me ?  Unless Brian's done the most perfect double-tracking job of all time, all I'm hearing is a single vocal with some subtle reverb. Someone care to point out to me where it's doubled ?

Its not a bug - he needs it to sound in tune. Just think of it as another effect, like reverb or EQ or something. I'm fine with it, and if it wasn't used it would probably sound much grimmer.

And I agree with Andrew - no doubling, apart maybe from some thickening (plugins again, not double-tracking).

However, it suffers from the usual BW Band problem - the massed vocals sounding just more MOR AOR than I'd like - just a little bit bland, the guts EQd and mixed out of them. This is mostly four or five men's voices but sounds too much like something from a Val Donnican Christmas Special. And also it would be nice if one could hear the individual parts as I bet these are gorgeous harmonies, but just sound like a vague wash. TLOS suffered from the same problem) Could be due to the low bitrate of the stream/mp3 and perhaps a little related over-compression.

Another disappointment is the use of a synth instead of an actual bass guitar. Its a shame, as a real bass would have added real warmth. Message Man from the TLOS sessions suffered from the same.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 07:06:55 AM by brother john » Logged

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2010, 07:15:39 AM »

For the man wondering if Brian can sing like that live: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX7znc-bhDs. Check out the other songs on youtube from the show. Brian's voice is in fine form.

Yeah i saw that a few weeks back and it's awesome. Thanks for reminding me!! Go Brian, he seems to be getting some confidence back in that voice!!

He sounds like he lost his voice in that video. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2010, 07:32:54 AM »

Another disappointment is the use of a synth instead of an actual bass guitar. Its a shame, as a real bass would have added real warmth. Message Man from the TLOS sessions suffered from the same.

Ummmmmmm... check out the video on USA Today - Brett Simmons on bass (Fender ?) on "The Like I Love In You". I hear no synth bass.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2010, 07:34:15 AM »

I think some of our ears need autotune Smiley Some of us hear it and think it soundss great, others think it sounds horrible.  I agree with Andrew I don't hear autotune on it, I think that card gets played a little too much.  Even if it has autotune who cares?  Like said above just another effect, I suppose reverb is horrible too.

I think the song sounds great, one of the best he's done ina  long, long, time.

Anyways, to the point about the band sounding bland, that's a fair criticism.  I still think the song is great... one of the things that seperates the original beach boys from beach boys version 2.0 (i.e. Brian's band) is that the Beach Boys always sang with 1.passion 2.honesty 3.flaw.  If you listen to any Beach Boys song, you'll hear voices that aren't quite right or that aren't mixed quite right or that are even singing the wrong damn word... on the newer stuff, usually only Brian's voice is the one that has any discernable character to it.  For a perfect example of this, listen to "Midnight's Another Day" when Brian comes in singing the background vocals with the band near the end.  Everybody's perfectly in tune, perfectly mixed, perfectly beautiful but it's only Brian's awkward, slightly off, slightly too passionate "WHOOa OOHHH oohhhh OOOOH AAHHHH!" that makes the song powerful.  

Yes, I am attempting to make the case that singing the song perfect is actually bad, lol.  
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2010, 07:50:59 AM »

Fun video.

Indeed sounds like the wall of Brians in Rhapsody. Fun version of "They Can't Take That Away From Me."

And Brian seems excited and engaged and creative.

Who can ask for more?
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2010, 07:59:09 AM »

Anyways, to the point about the band sounding bland, that's a fair criticism.  I still think the song is great... one of the things that seperates the original beach boys from beach boys version 2.0 (i.e. Brian's band) is that the Beach Boys always sang with 1.passion 2.honesty 3.flaw.  If you listen to any Beach Boys song, you'll hear voices that aren't quite right or that aren't mixed quite right or that are even singing the wrong damn word... on the newer stuff, usually only Brian's voice is the one that has any discernable character to it.  For a perfect example of this, listen to "Midnight's Another Day" when Brian comes in singing the background vocals with the band near the end.  Everybody's perfectly in tune, perfectly mixed, perfectly beautiful but it's only Brian's awkward, slightly off, slightly too passionate "WHOOa OOHHH oohhhh OOOOH AAHHHH!" that makes the song powerful.  

Yes, I am attempting to make the case that singing the song perfect is actually bad, lol.  

As much as I love this song (and as much as I love TLOS and the Christmas album), I understand what you're saying. It's almost as if they're so deferential to Brian that they blend in rather than stand out, and the effect is that sort of perfect--too perfect--blandish blend. Or maybe it's because they're so damn good at blending. The Beach Boys sounded amazing together, but they weren't as professional in the studio, so maybe someone forgot the words or sang too loud, and Brian liked the overall feel, so he let it go. Same with the Mamas and the Papas. Cass was always so loud to the point where you could barely hear Michelle, but it worked, and not just because Cass was technically a better singer. Sometimes she wasn't even doing the melody, and her voice was loudest. It was the odd balance that added to the magic.

But all this is not to step on the magic that is in this song, or, I would argue, in a lot of Brian's other recent work. (Let's not forget Midnight's Another Day.)
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2010, 08:16:32 AM »

On first listen I was slightly disappointed in the adult contemporary gloss of the production.  But by the third listen, my focus shifted to how great the song itself is.  Great changes, great arrangement, great singing.  Now listening to it for the 5th time and love it.

I don't hear any synth bass.  I do hear some doubling in Brian's vocals, but it's very subtle.  If there's autotune it's tastefully applied and doesn't bother me at all.

Getting very excited about this CD.  Cool

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2010, 08:55:09 AM »

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #78 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)
#34 in     Music > Rock
#72 in     Music > Pop
#1 in     Music > Children's Music > Disney

For the moment anyway, was 400 yesterday...people like the song anyway

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »

Now it's #55 in music
#28 in Rock
#51 in Pop
and still #1 in Disney
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 29, 2010, 09:11:09 AM »

Oh poor Brian, you've caught the auto-tune bug. Anybody else think one of the double tracked lead vocals is in auto-tune?

'Scuse me ?  Unless Brian's done the most perfect double-tracking job of all time, all I'm hearing is a single vocal with some subtle reverb. Someone care to point out to me where it's doubled ?

Dude, come on! You know Brian almost always double tracks his lead, it's standard practice. And yes, I did listen with headphones on and Brian is double tracked and in partial autotune. It's real obvious when he sings "into my heart". What other explanation can you give for Brian sounding like an old lady when he sings "I love you"?

My point is he sounds unnatural in an otherwise great song.

Oh, and I love how AGD never seeks outsider opinion in audio related quandaries to back up his claims, as I did.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:35:31 AM by jammer730 » Logged
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 29, 2010, 09:22:52 AM »

You sir, are simply wrong. Brian does not always double track his leads. "Wind Chimes" on Smile is one example. The title track of TLOS is another.

Anyway, there is now an official press release: http://bit.ly/95Q4ca

"The Like in I Love You" is a free adaptation from a Gershwin tune that was cut from one of his musicals. The original is called "I Will Remember You" "Will You Remember Me." And it's actually been recorded in its original form. You can hear a sample here:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1097587/a/Nice+Work+If+You+Can+Get+It:+Songs+By+The+Gershwins.htm
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:43:05 AM by Wirestone » Logged
Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 29, 2010, 09:34:53 AM »

You sir, are simply wrong. Brian does not always double track his leads. "Wind Chimes" on Smile is one example. The title track of TLOS is another.

"The Like in I Love You" is a free adaptation from a Gershwin tune that was cut from one of his musicals. The original is called "I Will Remember You." And it's actually been recorded in it's original form! You can hear a sample here:

http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/1097587/a/Nice+Work+If+You+Can+Get+It:+Songs+By+The+Gershwins.htm

I see a "Will You Remember Me?" but not an "I Will Remember You".  Am I looking in the wrong place?

"Jeff, you care." --BW
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: June 29, 2010, 09:35:34 AM »

Oh, and I love how AGD never seeks outsider opinion in audio related quandaries to back up his claims, as I did.

So you know for a fact I didn't, do you ?  Gotta admire the arrogance, if not the lack of common sense. I can state with complete confidence, no autotune.

As for "always" doubling his leads... I take it you've not listened to TLOS recently. Or at all, actually. The album is awash with single tracked vocals from Brian.

What other explanation can you give for Brian sounding like an old lady when he sings "I love you"?

It's called "falsetto". Brian's been known to use it once or twice over the last 49 years.

Ah, how could I be so gullible ? I'm ignoring my own advice - "never feed the trolls". Duh !
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:46:48 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 29, 2010, 09:39:24 AM »

I see a "Will You Remember Me?" but not an "I Will Remember You".  Am I looking in the wrong place?

I screwed up. I corrected my original post. It is the same song.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: June 29, 2010, 09:39:50 AM »

"The Like in I Love You" is a free adaptation from a Gershwin tune that was cut from one of his musicals. The original is called "I Will Remember You." And it's actually been recorded in it's original form! You can hear a sample here:

Nope - someone got the title slightly wrong. Same song.

Menace Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 29, 2010, 09:40:42 AM »

I screwed up. I corrected my original post. It is the same song.

Cool. 

"Jeff, you care." --BW
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: June 29, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »

Ummmmmmm... check out the video on USA Today - Brett Simmons on bass (Fender ?) on "The Like I Love In You". I hear no synth bass.

Well I could be wrong about the bass, though the video has two different bass guitars on it and proves nothing.

And I still wish Brian would leave Taylor Mills out of the mix.

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 29, 2010, 09:46:58 AM »

Well I could be wrong about the bass, though the video has two different bass guitars on it and proves nothing.

Why's that?

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: June 29, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »

So the video has Brett sitting down, playing a bass on the track of "TLIILY"... and it proves nothing ?

Why the F.U.C.K. am I wasting my time beating my head against the brick wall of such complete idiocy ?  Hey, I bet you believe the moon landings were faked, don't you ?  And that evolutionary theory is a commie plot ? Go away, stop bothering us with your inanities.

PS: bass on "Message Man" is Bob Lizik. I asked him, he told me.  Time to visit an audiologist.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 09:55:28 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: June 29, 2010, 09:53:28 AM »

I can state with complete confidence, no autotune.

Hey, we all know Brian loves Autotune, and if we're honest he couldn't make a record without it.

I can say with equal confidence that there is Autotune (or an equivalent plugin) on TLIILY!

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx