gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680742 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 04:46:23 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Nothing Happend between GV & Kokomo  (Read 6426 times)
Reverend Joshua Sloane
Smiley Smile Associate

Since I cannot rouse heaven I intend to raise hell

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2006, 05:11:26 PM »

Mark Volman?  Nah.

Rad Picture of John and Harry, though.  Rad.

Try and find the one of them laying down and Harry's fat beer belly protruding out of his sweater. It's a great picture of the two and his great beard.

Did it ever occur to you, Cable, how wise and bountiful God was to put breasts on a woman? Just the right number in just the right place. Did you ever notice that, Cable?
Surfer Joe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2006, 05:30:53 PM »

I'd like to think that SurferJoe, but I dunno.  I'm already hearing lots of 90's songs played almost as 'classic' tracks, and it seems to me (although I could be just imagining this) that the 50's nostalgia in our culture is all but dead, and the 70's nostalgia is on the rise.  As in, the 'cool' decade is moving. 

Personally, I know nothing about the 40's.  When I was a kid, I listened to 50's music all the time, many movies were set in the 50's, etc... now as I'm a little older, a lot of movies are set in the 60's and 70's, it's hard (very hard) to find 50's music on the radio, nobody talks about Marilyn or James Dean or even, gasp! Elvis to a large extent anymore.  Lots of kids have never heard of Buddy Holly or Richie Valens or god forbid the Big Bopper. 

So while I personally feel that you're right and there's a huge golden age there, it seems like at least the 50's portion of it is being lost, and the 70's are now considered equally as important and as 'retro' as the 60's. 

Get what I'm saying? It's hard to explain, but imagine a 20 year span of 'cool' and 'vintage' that moves with the times. 

I do get what you're saying; you have a strong point, Ron, and I'll continue to give it thought, but I tend to think that most things come back once from nostalgia, and I think that's what's happening with the 80s and maybe 90s now.  People remember it fondly, but there's just not much else there.   Different aspects of the 50s come back over and over in different forms.  And remember the Swing craze about seven years ago?  That'll happen again. 

You may think of the fifties, for example, as Elvis (and he'll keep coming back forever without ever really going away), but Louis Prima (to name one) will keep having his innings.  I'm a former animation artist, and we kept returning to the fifties (see: "Ren & Stimpy", "Dexter's Lab", etc. etc. etc.) over and over for different influences- character design, background styling, sponge-painting, the eclectic scores...

Clothing styles still draw from the fifties heavily- see Charlie Sheen's shirts on "Two And A Half Men".  Elements of the forties, sixties, and seventies are just as much present all around us.  Personally, I think that as years go by the culture of the eighties and nineties will be rehashed far less in part due to quality but in part because they were rehash to begin with.  In thirty years "I Love Lucy" and "The Honeymooners" will still be classic comedy.  But will "Saved By The Bell" or "Who's The Boss" be around when the people who watched the original runs are gone?

Mark Volman watched me punch out a concrete wall at the Burbank Courthouse in 1995.

"Don't let the posey fool ya."

-Prof. Henry R. Quail-
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2006, 07:53:31 PM »

you guys think i look like that guy? geegs...my ego was boosted last nite when i was told about the nilsson lookalike...now im depressed

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx