gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:01:25 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Al Jardine's "A Postcard From California"  (Read 40325 times)
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2010, 11:50:14 AM »

I kind of fall in line with this review as well, I believe the album is better than Mike or Carl's solo efforts as a whole. I think it is very Al for sure. It is so good to hear his voice again. (I agree with him about Glen Campbell-whose voice has aged not so well) California Feeling has been a nice surprise and is the best of the 3 versions I have heard by far. But like alot of later good Brian songs....it is one verse too short! (This Whole World, It's Ok, and Good Timin also have this syndrome) I keep going back to California Feeling, California Saga, and And I Always Will when I play it, mixing in Honking, Drivin, and San Simeon occassionally. 
Jason
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2010, 06:12:51 PM »

If it's about Al's wife...he must have been pretty sure of his committment to her in 1985 when he wrote the song! They had been married, what, like two years at that point? Unless he rewrote the lyrics for Postcard.

Theoretically, he should've been sure before they got married...

He's American.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2010, 09:38:59 PM »

I enjoyed hearing the entire album.  Thanks to a friend who helped me connect with it   Roll Eyes

Not like the old days of going to the record store.  The CD section of Borders is down to a small fraction of what it was.

Beachboys fans living at this address were quite impressed.  Yeah, a lot of "guests" but it worked.  Not strained like giomh guest appearances.  It seemed genuine and good spirited.   A very nice and much appreciated effort to the ears and spirit of this fan of the Beach Boys.  Kudos to Al Jardine for  seeing this through.  I will put this in rotation with TLOS.  The Beach Boys thrive into their 7th decade!!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2010, 01:26:41 AM »

The Beach Boys thrive into their 7th decade!!!!

I take it math wasn't your strong suit in college.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Les Chan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 07, 2010, 10:40:07 PM »

I have been enjoying Al's album.   Glad its finally out and getting positive reviews from so many people.  His voice hasn't changed that much since the mid- 70s.   Kudos to Al, Stevie Heger and Scott Slaughter for putting out a very good listenable album. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2010, 09:23:56 PM »

I was referring to their average age, not their time together as a band!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: July 10, 2010, 12:30:17 AM »

I was referring to their average age, not their time together as a band!

Neat save.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 11, 2010, 12:25:10 AM »

Is this going to get a thread in the "Other Solo Albums" section of the forums or what?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 12:27:37 AM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Paulos
« Reply #133 on: July 11, 2010, 12:51:38 AM »

Is this going to get a thread in the "Other Solo Albums" section of the forums or what?

I was wondering about that, it would be good and only proper to have Blondie's solo albums and David's second solo album in there too.
ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 12, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

Review here: http://endlesssummerquarterly.blogspot.com/
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »

I've been this a good listening over the past few days and I have to say how impressed I am with most of it, particularly the first 'side'. Don't like the ending to Honkin' however, and wish he'd included California Dreamin' and maybe updated Santa Ana Winds.  Great to hear a song with Beach Boys vocals. Can't help think Mike's nasal tones would've fitted well on the bridge on Drivin'.  So we'll have another in maybe 30 years or so...?
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2010, 01:16:51 PM »

What's said at the end of Help Me, Rhonda? "Crap song?"
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 08, 2010, 05:12:24 PM »

New interview with Al

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-ragogna/ema-postcard-from-califor_b_697112.html

AJ: I would just love to see everyone look forward to this big legacy anniversary of my team mates from the old days,
 and there's going to be a big, free concert sometime next year to celebrate the 50th anniversary of The Beach Boys.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 05:17:26 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2010, 04:22:54 PM »

I must apologize and eat sh@t... I have badmouthed Al's "Postcard From Calif.." since rough tracks appeared on-line nearly 2 years ago.  said it was crap and would not shut up about it. I was at a pal's place over the weekend and he put it on not knowing about my feelings. Well I was blown away and went to Amoeba and bought it. The finished product far outshines the tracks that I  had heard earlier. The weakest song is "Drivin" but it kinda of grew on me in a Jan & Dean sort of way. Al has a great ear for harmony. He's a folkie all the way as well. All the other songs are great too. Buy it! Grin
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2010, 04:52:08 PM »

Is the hard copy CD still not out yet?
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 18, 2010, 03:25:03 PM »

Still no news about a release date for the hard copy? Guess that's not gonna happen then...
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 18, 2010, 03:36:47 PM »

Still no news about a release date for the hard copy? Guess that's not gonna happen then...

It's happening. Al's all set to make the announcement( his sense of time is different than all others)
It's going to be a special bonus CD for the Beach Boys 50th anniversary package.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 18, 2010, 04:34:45 PM »

It's happening. Al's all set to make the announcement( his sense of time is different than all others)
It's going to be a special bonus CD for the Beach Boys 50th anniversary package.

.... in 2025.

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 18, 2010, 04:39:44 PM »

.... in 2025.

Or maybe 2525( if Mike is still alive)

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2010, 07:16:10 AM »

Or maybe 2525( if Mike is still alive)

LOL

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2010, 11:02:23 AM »

Just wanted to say that I found this album enjoyable, with Don,t Fight the Sea being a nice treat. Alan is talented and has taste. The album was on my player for several weeks....

If it runs amuck, call the duck
dexyman
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 24, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Postcard is only 5 bucks on Amazon right now.  A great deal because it although it looks a bit homemade, it certainly feels like a legit release with artwork and all.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #147 on: November 25, 2010, 09:38:42 AM »

And it's a pretty decent CD too, with three or four great tracks.  If you haven't got, buy it.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 25, 2010, 11:41:11 AM »

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but Postcard is only 5 bucks on Amazon right now.  A great deal because it although it looks a bit homemade, it certainly feels like a legit release with artwork and all.

Many thanks for the tip - have acted!

“We live in divisive times.”
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »

I'm dragging this thread back up from the deep because I've come to this little gem only recently. I have to say that this is a great listen but I wish Al had pushed the 'California' theme a bit harder and taken us on a historical and geographic journey of California - drop Rhonda, Honkin' and Always Will and include Its  A Beautiful Day, Santa Anna Winds, Cottonfields (play with the lyrics to reference California), even write some new songs about Redwoods, wilderness and rivers (Al does that well) or even do a few more covers, drag the America guys back into Red Barn and do their Everyone I Meets From California and it would have been a much more cohesive album. Thankfully with a little bit of playlist jockeying on the ipod the album flows together very nicely.

Would also like to see a post C50 Al take this concept on the road, California songs, originals, Beach Boys tracks and covers such as Cali Dreaming or the afore mention Everybody I Meet, etc.

Do Al, do it!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx