gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680864 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 12:37:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: "Boys, Girls" ???  (Read 3272 times)
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2010, 01:21:28 PM »

I was reading an interview with Brian Wilson from the late 80's, and he mentions a song called "Boys, Girls".  Brian says that it was "a hell of a commercial little song, but we threw it in the can".  Supposedly this was around the late 70's to early 80's.  Has anyone heard of this particular piece of music?  Is "Boys,Girls" an alternative title for a different song?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »

Yes...there's an AFM sheet for a KTSA session on Oct.19, 1979 for "Boys & Girls", and another one for a Nov. 18, 1980 session for "Candlesticks", "Boys And Girls", and "Up Again" (both sessions at Western Recorders).  No indication that anything beyond scratch vocals were recorded for either version.  Guess Brian liked it enough to recut it a year later, in a version probably produced by himself (the earlier version would be a BJ production).
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:52:52 PM by c-man » Logged
Alan Boyd
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 12:28:09 PM »

At one point, it was listed under the title "Boys and Girls Living Together."

We have the unfinished backing track from the KTSA sessions.  Very nice, upbeat, with some cool changes.  It was one of the tracks I brought along for the listening session when Steve Desper and I went to Susan Lang's fan gathering in Connecticut some years ago.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 04:00:38 PM »

The title is mentioned in the Wilson Project book as a possible title for a Wilson-Usher colaboration. So maybe Brian wanted to record his old song with GU

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2010, 05:32:25 PM »

At one point, it was listed under the title "Boys and Girls Living Together."

We have the unfinished backing track from the KTSA sessions.  Very nice, upbeat, with some cool changes.  It was one of the tracks I brought along for the listening session when Steve Desper and I went to Susan Lang's fan gathering in Connecticut some years ago.

From the musician lineup on the AFM contract, the 1980 version may be a little fuller, and more "Brian-esque", with accordion and two saxophones, in addition to drums, bass, guitar and keyboards.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 10:54:20 PM »

I figured I'd bring this topic back because I was gonna make a thread about it. And instead of just clogging the site with another thread here goes.

Anyways, does anybody know if the 1980 version of "Boys And Girls" was ever completed to any reasonable level? For instance, were vocals recorded? The fact that Brian was still talking about this song nearly ten years after it was first recorded (incompletely) shows that it must have been a pretty decent song in his mind. So anyways, anybody got any info?

And also, for anybody who has heard either version (the 1979 instrumental or the 1980 version), are either of them any good?
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx