gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 06:51:11 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tracklisting for Brian's new album  (Read 7342 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2010, 11:28:15 AM »

:D

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 12:22:32 PM »

I am clearly an idiot.

And while I'm apologizing for my inability to add 60-second units, I should also mention that despite the name Wirestone, this is the same poster known as claymcc for most of the last five years. My last name (McCuistion) changed (to Wirestone), and I thought I'd change my user name to go along with it. But I'm still the same guy that somehow managed to write a multi-part essay praising GIOMH. Speaking of apologies ... hmm.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 12:31:35 PM by Wirestone » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 04:18:44 PM »

He'd said they were doing "the pretty part" in interviews, which likely means the slow song-like bit in the middle. Not a surprise, really. I didn't expect him to do 20 minutes of it.

Yeah, but only 1:47, split in two, on GG's greatest work :-(

And the 35 mins is pretty thin by today's standards

As I recall, GIOMH was about 55 minutes.

Of merda.

Whereas Pet Sounds was about 32 minutes.

Of stone genius.

Again, I'll just put forth a proposition: you cannot petition the lord with prayer. Also, what say we wait until we actually hear the album before we start bitching.

Couldn't have put it better myself - longer isn't necessarily better.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »

He'd said they were doing "the pretty part" in interviews, which likely means the slow song-like bit in the middle. Not a surprise, really. I didn't expect him to do 20 minutes of it.

Of merda.

Of stone genius.

Again, I'll just put forth a proposition: you cannot petition the lord with prayer. Also, what say we wait until we actually hear the album before we start bitching.

39 minutes is better (who is the old Sod that came up with 35 mins?)

If "RIB" is as good as I think it's going to be, we'll all be wishing it was 3 mins instead of half as long.

Critics do note the length of albums; and it does affect sales!

Deja Vu All Over Again by John Fogerty clocked in around 35 mins and the reviews noted it/sales were poor.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 12:26:19 AM »

Of merda.

Of stone genius.

39 minutes is better (who is the old Sod that came up with 35 mins?)

If "RIB" is as good as I think it's going to be, we'll all be wishing it was 3 mins instead of half as long.

Critics do note the length of albums; and it does affect sales!

Deja Vu All Over Again by John Fogerty clocked in around 35 mins and the reviews noted it/sales were poor.

If the material is good/great, doesn't matter how long the album is, it'll seem much shorter.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 10:33:28 AM »

Weezer's second self-titled album (2001) had only 28 minutes of "gay pop songs" [Rivers' words] and it sold phenomenally, reaching #4 on Billboard with two Top Ten singles. As they say, it's not so much length as it is girth what you do with it!
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 10:37:51 AM by O » Logged
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »

10         I've Got a Crush On You                 2:41
11         I Got Rhythm                                 2:42

He's got a Beat Happening cover and a remake of MIU's opening track on the new record? LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2010, 11:48:29 AM »

Weezer's second self-titled album (2001) had only 28 minutes of "gay pop songs" [Rivers' words] and it sold phenomenally, reaching #4 on Billboard with two Top Ten singles. As they say, it's not so much length as it is girth what you do with it!

Now that's a great analogy - Weezer and Wilson.  Fully expect Brian to do a video like 'Hash Pipe" and tap into the massive 14-16 year old sales demographic like Weezer did.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2010, 12:45:08 PM »

Green is a huge pile of merda compared to Blue and Pinkerton.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2010, 12:51:37 PM »

Green is a huge pile of merda compared to Blue and Pinkerton.

Green is fine, to me, but even Pinkerton and Blue barely crack the half hour mark and they're just right, as far as time goes. You're not bored or fatigued from listening to it front to back, and it's enough to both satisfy and maybe even make you want to listen again.

Pet Sounds is the same way, really.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Myk Luhv
Smiley Smile Associate

"...and I said, 'Oatmeal? Are you crazy?!'"

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2010, 07:28:27 PM »

Now that's a great analogy - Weezer and Wilson.  Fully expect Brian to do a video like 'Hash Pipe" and tap into the massive 14-16 year old sales demographic like Weezer did.

A bonus, hidden track on the album will be Brian's cover of "Tired of Sex" done Love You style!
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2010, 08:13:12 PM »

In all honesty, Brian doing Gershwin and the new Autolux CD both come out in August (weird duo, I knew). What a way to cap that month off! I'm legitimately excited.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2010, 10:20:45 PM »

They Might Be Giants' "The Spine" (from 2004) was slammed for being too short as well - a lot of fans pointed out its mere 30 minute (give or take) length.

With two EP's worth of material released around that same time, as well as a couple Internet-only tracks, bootlegs started to emerge presenting the album in a more 'complete' form.  If I remember right, my own extended version included the entire album, both EP's (including both variations of "Au Contraire" spliced together), and both downloadable tracks, and it still doesn't fill the CD.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 04:06:18 AM »

38 minutes would happily fit across 2 sides of 180g virgin. Suits me fine. 50-min double LPs are a pain (i'm looking at you, Flying Lotus).
DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 08:18:56 AM »

36,38,39.......Quality, my friends, is much better than quantity. 

I've loved Gershwin since I was a little girl studying classical piano and have loved Brian, et al since their conception as well. This album will be orgasmic to my ears and soul!!!!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:52 AM »

I've loved Gershwin since I was a little girl studying classical piano and have loved Brian, et al since their conception as well. This album will be orgasmic to my ears and soul!!!!

So now you know folks, next time you go on a date with Donna, forget the wine & roses, just take an iPod with the Gershwin album on repeat.  Guaranteed home run. Grin

Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 02:11:01 PM »

So now you know folks, next time you go on a date with Donna, forget the wine & roses, just take an iPod with the Gershwin album on repeat.  Guaranteed home run. Grin

I'm so broke it would be awesome if I could do tht for every date

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2010, 02:38:46 PM »

http://pitchfork.com/news/39318-brian-wilson-announces-george-gershwin-covers-album-details/

Pitchfork seem to think the Rhapsody in Blue intro/outro pieces are acapella?!?!? I had assumed they would be piano pieces...

I don't know where they got their info from, but it would explain why the pieces are shorter than i'd expect the piano pieces to be.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2010, 02:45:25 PM »

http://pitchfork.com/news/39318-brian-wilson-announces-george-gershwin-covers-album-details/

Pitchfork seem to think the Rhapsody in Blue intro/outro pieces are acapella?!?!? I had assumed they would be piano pieces...

I don't know where they got their info from, but it would explain why the pieces are shorter than i'd expect the piano pieces to be.

Check out the mini EPK on the USA Today interview - you can hear a snatch of "Blue".

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2010, 02:57:57 PM »

The video has Rhapsody starting out a cappella, but then there are some clarinets/other horns underneath Brian's wall-o-voices toward the end.
absinthe_boy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2010, 07:17:22 AM »

Quality, not quantity. Just because a CD can hold 80 minutes of music does not mean that it must.

I recall an interview with Brian May about longer Queen songs such as Bohemian Rhapsody....he maintained that a song is "finished whenever it is finished". Some last 2 minutes, others 10+ minutes. Some albums are 30 minutes, some 90. Length does not make an album great.

If the Gershwin record is 35 or so minutes of exciting and above all *good* music then I will consider it money well spent.

As has already been mentioned. Would Pet Sounds be any better if it were 60 minutes long?

I am excited by the track listing. Not familiar with all the music but instantly recognised the selections from Porgy & Bess. Brian's take on those are bound to be different than....for example....Ella Fitzgerald's. I can't wait.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:18:29 AM by absinthe_boy » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx