gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681467 Posts in 27636 Topics by 4082 Members - Latest Member: briansclub June 07, 2024, 02:42:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th anniversary latest  (Read 36788 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: July 14, 2010, 04:30:17 AM »

There are no live Hamburg tracks featuring Pete Best in existence. The oft-bootlegged Star Club tracks were recorded in December 1962, over four months after Best was canned and the band was subsequently signed to Parlophone. The Decca tapes were always fully owned by the group -- in actuality, originally NEMS.

Best's payoff from the Anthology tracks was indeed Apple doing him a solid, and was entirely and completely due to Neil Aspinall taking care of his family.

Incidentally, Ringo Starr has earned far more money from Best's Anthology performances than he will in 82 lifetimes.

Howie - You forget about "Cry for a Shadow" which was recorded live in Hamburg and features Pete Best on drums.

And it was on Anthology 1.

"Cry For A Shadow" wasn't a live recording; it was recorded June 22nd 1961 at a Hamburg high school gym when the lads, billed as The Beat Brothers, were backing Tony Sheridan on several tracks (and in the time left over, recorded two of their own). The Beatles credit was added some years later, when it was released initially in Germany (1964) then the UK & US (1994).

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 14, 2010, 11:19:19 AM »

AGD, you contradict yourself.  You say it wasn't live but then say they were billed as the "Beat Brothers" for  the event.

It was, fact, recorded live (no overdubs) at the school assembly hall with guests in attendance.

It was John, Paul, George and Pete.  Written by John and George.  It was recorded live in Hamburg.  (Howie stated, "There are no live Hamburg tracks featuring Pete Best in existence.")

It has been released dozens of times over the years; as the Beat Brothers, the Silver Beatles, and The Beatles (ANTH 1).

AGD, it is tiresome when you continually split hairs just to be argumentative.  I urge you to please, please (me) & do proper research before you delve outside the area of your expertise (the Beach Boys)!

May I refer you to a website like "The Beatles Bible", which is comparable to your BB Site.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 14, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

Oh, stop trying to pick fights with AGD.

When he said "billed," it was clearly referring to how they were labeled for the recording itself. And as for a live show -- the Beatles Bible itself calls the recording a session: "Towards the end of the June 1961 session, which took place in a Hamburg school assembly hall." http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/cry-for-a-shadow/

So in referring AGD to a "superior source," you proved him right.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 14, 2010, 11:42:32 AM »

Oh, stop trying to pick fights with AGD.

When he said "billed," it was clearly referring to how they were labeled for the recording itself. And as for a live show -- the Beatles Bible itself calls the recording a session: "Towards the end of the June 1961 session, which took place in a Hamburg school assembly hall." http://www.beatlesbible.com/songs/cry-for-a-shadow/

So in referring AGD to a "superior source," you proved him right.

No way dude!

I suggest you reread the thread and see that my post was directed to Howie, not AGD.  AGD, not Howie, responded with incorrect information.  You should be writing him for picking a fight with me.  Wouldn't do any good though as AGD can't help himself.

You don't "bill" acts for a recording session.   That's live performance terminology.  Again, it was recorded "LIVE" in a assembly hall, not a studio.

Again, the song has been labeled in numerous ways.  It was never intended, when recorded, to be released at all, let alone as the Beat Brothers or the Beatles.  It's only due to the success of the Beatles that any of those recordings saw the light of day.  And they couldn't release it as the Beatles in the first place because they were legally prevented from doing so.

As to picking fights with AGD,  he is the big bully of the Beach Boys boards.  His act gets tiresome and if people would start calling him on the stuff he pulls, maybe he'd play nicer.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 14, 2010, 11:48:40 AM »

Whatever, dude.
Paulos
« Reply #130 on: July 14, 2010, 12:01:02 PM »

For the love of all that is good and pure, please shut the f*** up about Pete fucking Best.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 14, 2010, 12:12:52 PM »

What if they were gonna put together a boxed set like the GV boxed set for the anniversary...any track ideas to throw out there for a five disc version that includes SIP, Stars and Stripes Vol. 1, some solo tracks from all the boys...I'd love to hear ideas.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 14, 2010, 12:15:32 PM »

Whatever, dude.

No problem Wirestone.  I totally understand you 'rock journalists' wanting to cover for and defend your brethren.  (I have the highest respect for Howie and Jon S - really good guys who always go out of their way for people)

But I've had a couple rock columns myself.  Interviewed Alan Parsons once.  Doesn't make me an expert in all things Alan Parson Project.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:17:14 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: July 14, 2010, 12:19:48 PM »

AGD, you contradict yourself.  You say it wasn't live but then say they were billed as the "Beat Brothers" for  the event.

It was, fact, recorded live (no overdubs) at the school assembly hall with guests in attendance.

It was John, Paul, George and Pete.  Written by John and George.  It was recorded live in Hamburg.  (Howie stated, "There are no live Hamburg tracks featuring Pete Best in existence.")

It has been released dozens of times over the years; as the Beat Brothers, the Silver Beatles, and The Beatles (ANTH 1).

AGD, it is tiresome when you continually split hairs just to be argumentative.  I urge you to please, please (me) & do proper research before you delve outside the area of your expertise (the Beach Boys)!

May I refer you to a website like "The Beatles Bible", which is comparable to your BB Site.

http://www.beatlesbible.com/

That is exactly where I got the info from (and I deeply appreciate the most flattering comparison, but said site is far superior to mine).  Grin  What Howie (and I) mean by live is, live in concert, not recorded as live (which, given the exceedingly primitive nature of the recording equipment, was unavoidable). "Cry" wasn't released in any form until some three years later: had it been released in 1961, it would have doubtless been credited to "The Beat Brothers". The session was for Tony Sheridan - not The Beatles. BTW, The Beatles Bible makes no reference to anyone other than the artists, the engineer and the producer being present. That said, the BBible also makes no mention whatsoever of Paul's presence at the April 10th 1967 session for "Vega-Tables", so perhaps it's not infallible.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:29:31 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 14, 2010, 12:25:04 PM »

Agree  Grin

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: July 14, 2010, 12:30:52 PM »

As to picking fights with AGD,  he is the big bully of the Beach Boys boards.  His act gets tiresome and if people would start calling him on the stuff he pulls, maybe he'd play nicer.

Wouldn't hold your breath on that one...  Grin

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: July 14, 2010, 12:59:03 PM »

So, the Beach Boys have their 50th anniversary next year......?   Undecided

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: July 14, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

Rumor has it.  Smiley

Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 14, 2010, 03:36:29 PM »

odds Brian plays bass for hypothetical concerts? wagers?  for most of show?
Jason
« Reply #139 on: July 14, 2010, 03:54:41 PM »

Make a bet like that in Las Vegas, where the suckers are.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: July 14, 2010, 04:13:32 PM »

Whatever, dude.

No problem Wirestone.  I totally understand you 'rock journalists' wanting to cover for and defend your brethren.  (I have the highest respect for Howie and Jon S - really good guys who always go out of their way for people)

But I've had a couple rock columns myself.  Interviewed Alan Parsons once.  Doesn't make me an expert in all things Alan Parson Project.

What the hell?! You're just looking to pick a fight...chill the hell out. You have a thing against writers or something? And before you get all pissy with me, I'm not a "rock journalist defending my brethren"...I'm a BB fan who happens to be a a musician/producer calling you out on your sh*t.

For the love of all that is good and pure, please shut the foda up about Pete friggin' Best.

Agreed. Hell, f*ck the Beatles...this is a BB/BW board.  Grin

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 14, 2010, 05:35:38 PM »

I'm a BB fan who happens to be a a musician/producer calling you out on your sh*t.

How is that even relevant to your argument? Razz

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 14, 2010, 10:27:07 PM »

I'm a BB fan who happens to be a a musician/producer calling you out on your sh*t.

How is that even relevant to your argument? Razz

Exactly!

What is your argument Fear 2 Stop?  That it's ok for Howie and AGD put out incorrect information on Pete Best's royalties and, after pointing out they were wrong, AGD attacked me (as he loves to do) and I defended myself?

You tell ME to chill out when AGD routinely attacks posters on here like a rabid pit bull.  You must be buddies?  Or another failed rock journalist???

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 14, 2010, 10:33:55 PM »

I don't mean to stick my head in someone else's business, but I was brought up to defend something I believe is right: In all of my dealings with AGD he has been a reputable fellow, not a bully, never resembling any characteristics of rabid pit bull, and actually treated me with respect. Same for Billy and Clay.

Continue on with this inane diatribe of misled comparisons if you wish---I think a large portion of us have tuned out already.

I mean no disrespect with what I have written.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 14, 2010, 10:40:20 PM »

I don't mean to stick my head in someone else's business, but I was brought up to defend something I believe is right: In all of my dealings with AGD he has been a reputable fellow, not a bully, never resembling any characteristics of rabid pit bull, and actually treated me with respect. Same for Billy and Clay.

Continue on with this inane diatribe of misled comparisons if you wish---I think a large portion of us have tuned out already.

I mean no disrespect with what I have written.

Goodness, you must not pay a lot of attention to what's written on this boards.  Like last week when AGD exploded and dropped the F BOMB.  Or when he was banished from the Blue Board for verbal attacks.

He freely admits he doesn't play nice.  

AGD is not a bad guy - but he attacks, and enjoys it!  He doesn't like it when he is questioned, and it frequently shows.

You seem to think it's OK for AGD to attack me for pointing out he was wrong but it's my bad for sticking up for myself.

Please read the posts and come up for with a relevant argument please! (though I'm sure AGD is delighted to hear you, Billy and Clay are such big fans of his)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 11:02:38 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: July 14, 2010, 11:06:54 PM »

SRH has conveniently  and swiftly forgotten I admitted earlier on this thread that as Best is on the PRS database, in this instance I was wrong and freely admit so.

The reason I lost my rag with someone here recently, in the course of a discussion, stated that an established fact was of no consequence. You've never said a bad word in such a situation ?

Anyhoo, like Paulos said, Pete Best is of no consequence, either in The Beatles or The Beach Boys. Done, dusted, next please.

smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 14, 2010, 11:56:24 PM »

Isn't it remarkable that as soon as a topic is started about Mike Love (vs. BW) or possible reunions it's only a matter of time before it turns into a huge argument? And here's me thinking only the Beach Boys themselves are constantly quarrelling...

Yesterday Rocker tried to get this topic "ON"-topic again ... let me try it once more.

The last few days this topic slowly turned into a general music discussion. By now half of it is about Pete Best, of which a large part is about who's right/wrong. Agree to disagree please, or I'm going to move part of the discussion to where it belongs (either general music discussions of sandbox).

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: July 15, 2010, 12:09:18 AM »

odds Brian plays bass for hypothetical concerts? wagers?  for most of show?

Nope - show Brian a chair/stool and he'll use it.  Smiley

shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 15, 2010, 12:40:07 AM »

I've been to several of BW's shows where he played bass for one or two songs, but it never sounded to me like I was actually hearing two bass guitars. If he was plugged in at all his bass must've been pretty low in the mix.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: July 15, 2010, 12:54:55 AM »

Again with the rock journalist stuff. I was mentioning what I do so you wouldn't think I *was* one..seriously...what is your problem with writers?

Back to the point of the original topic...

I think the reunion would be a good thing, and bring some sort of closure for Brian. I think he's become a lot stronger in a lot of ways, and could handle it now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx