gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680818 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 12:28:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th anniversary latest  (Read 36598 times)
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2010, 08:41:08 AM »

Bit late in on this one so maybe this is old news but just noticed this report:

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2010/06/22/14474811-wenn-story.html

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2010, 09:29:25 AM »

I'd be wary with that. That's the first I've seen Al mentioned.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »

No doubt SOMETHING WILL HAPPEN for the 50th next year.

Another best of "50 Summers of Good Vibrations", Al  finally releases 'Postcard', or we see a joint David/Al tour.

Bottom line, there's money to be made.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2010, 04:28:15 PM »

All Mike has said in this latest statement is that Brian isn't joining them this year. In fact, he's added something, that is the news about discussing writing & recording.

Of any of the band, Mike is probably the most legal-savvy. I seriously doubt he'd say what he did without there being some basis in fact. We'll see, and in the meantime, we have what I hope will be a seriously good BW album to occupy our time.  Grin

and of course Brian, On HIS OWN site, has said absolutely nothing
WTF?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2010, 05:02:12 PM »

All Mike has said in this latest statement is that Brian isn't joining them this year. In fact, he's added something, that is the news about discussing writing & recording.

Of any of the band, Mike is probably the most legal-savvy. I seriously doubt he'd say what he did without there being some basis in fact. We'll see, and in the meantime, we have what I hope will be a seriously good BW album to occupy our time.  Grin

and of course Brian, On HIS OWN site, has said absolutely nothing
WTF?
This IS an official statement on Brian's site

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/index.html

Jun 22, 2010
Statement on the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary
As The Beach Boys approach 2011-2012 touring season, which will mark their 50th anniversary as a band, speculation continues to grow among fans and media as to reunion possibilities among all the original surviving members. In response to recent stories Mike Love had the following comments: "The Beach Boys continue to tour approximately 150 shows a year in multiple countries. At this time there are no plans for my cousin Brian to rejoin the tour. He has new solo projects on the horizon and I wish him love and success. We have had some discussions of writing and possibly recording together, but nothing has been planned. I, as I¹m sure he is, am proud and honored that The Beach Boys music has endured these 50 years, but felt the need to clarify that there are no current 'reunion' tour plans."
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 05:04:33 PM by SurfRiderHawaii » Logged

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »

Eh, I don't even know why anyone would want a reunion tour/concert/cd. I think Brian is happy doing what he is doing now: just writing music and hopefully enjoying life. I can't imagine wanting to be thrust back into a band with a person who has spent the last couple decades suing you.

A 50th anniversary 'SMiLE Boxset' would be incredible. That is all I want.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2010, 08:07:32 PM »

Eh, I don't even know why anyone would want a reunion tour/concert/cd. I think Brian is happy doing what he is doing now: just writing music and hopefully enjoying life. I can't imagine wanting to be thrust back into a band with a person who has spent the last couple decades suing you.

I will admit Smile never did it for me, but The Beach Boys are so much more than Smile, that needs to be celebrated beyond a Smile box set.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2010, 01:50:50 AM »

Brian's site has a statement on this:
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/index.html

Anyone find it weird that Mike himself would deny the claim on Brian's official site that he claimed true elsewhere?

This smacks of Mike having to eat humble pie to me. Reads to me like Brian's people read the Las Vegas Sun piece, didn't like it, and insisted on Mike composing a climb down.

This is what Mike originally said (or what he was quoted as having said, and there's been no claim that he was misrepresented):

"We began in the fall of 1961, and our first tour was in 1962, and it’s been nonstop since then. Now we’re gearing up for the 50th anniversary, and Brian Wilson, who has been working on some unfinished Gershwin music project, will rejoin us. I’m sad that Carl Wilson passed away 11, 12 years ago from the same lung cancer problem that claimed the life of George Harrison. That was not a fun time for us. But I am happy that now my son Christian is in the group. Yes, the lineup has changed over the years, but it’s been pretty consistent the past several years. “

The clear implication there is that Brian would be joining them on stage. Mike was talking about the touring history and then about the touring band. This version of the Beach Boys, remember, doesn't record as such; it's purely a touring band with members who also do other things under their own names or under other names but not under the Beach Boys' name.

Now he says: "At this time there are no plans for my cousin Brian to rejoin the tour... but {I} felt the need to clarify that there are no current 'reunion' tour plans."

I read it as a slap on the wrist for Mike.  That it's posted on the BW site (as I'm guessing BW's people insisted) is as though he's been told to stand in front of class and say "Sorry, I told a porkie". It also seems to serve as a reminder to Mike that if they'd posted this message on the Beach Boys Band site it would have had very little exposure. At least the fact that they've posted Mike's retraction on the BW page says that they are speaking – if the denial had been in Brian's words only, it would have seemed to have added even further distance.

Just my interpretation... feel free to flame!

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2010, 02:03:41 AM »

I see no contradictions between the two pieces- in the original interview, Mike clearly stated that Brian would be joining them for the 50th anniversary, in 2011, whereas in the second he's underlining that there are "currently" no plans for Brian to rejoin them "at present". i.e for 2010. Some folk on the Bloo assumed he was trying to get Brian to join him this summer... like that's going to happen with a brand new album to promote ? Yeah, I can just see Brian's people, and Disney, agreeing to that.

There will be some sort of reunion, of this I'm sure. Yes, we're talking The Beach Boys here and their long history of corporate & managerial stupidity, but this is a 50th anniversary, a rare, rare thing in rock. Even they wouldn't f*** this one up.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2010, 02:21:31 AM »

Even they wouldn't foda this one up.

Aha... would you be willing to bet that pint on this?  LOL

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2010, 02:35:15 AM »

and the thing is, that as obsessives, we're gonna pick through these statements until Dec 31, 2011...

"We have had some discussions of writing and possibly recording together, but nothing has been planned..."

Could be read as:

Mike: "Hey Brian, wanna write some stuff together like the old days?"

Brian: "No." (slams down phone)

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2010, 03:09:04 AM »

Even they wouldn't foda this one up.

Aha... would you be willing to bet that pint on this?  LOL

Errrrrr... no.  Roll Eyes

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2010, 03:16:54 AM »

I predict a 50th anniversary tour...in 2012 or 2013.
PongHit
Smiley Smile Associate

AVOID MISSING BALL FOR HIGH SCORE • JeffWinner.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2010, 07:36:07 AM »

I want it too, but it's not the 50th anniversary of SMiLE, it's the 50th anniversary of the beginning of the band.

''Only more damage can arise from this temporary, fleeting image of success known as The Beach Boys.''
—MURRY WILSON

''People are thinking Mike Love is crazy.''
—MIKE LOVE

''Mike Love? He's Crazy.''
—BRIAN WILSON
jmc
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2010, 09:03:10 PM »

This is what Mike originally said (or what he was quoted as having said, and there's been no claim that he was misrepresented):

"We began in the fall of 1961, and our first tour was in 1962, and it’s been nonstop since then. Now we’re gearing up for the 50th anniversary, and Brian Wilson, who has been working on some unfinished Gershwin music project, will rejoin us. I’m sad that Carl Wilson passed away 11, 12 years ago from the same lung cancer problem that claimed the life of George Harrison. That was not a fun time for us. But I am happy that now my son Christian is in the group. Yes, the lineup has changed over the years, but it’s been pretty consistent the past several years. “

Here is a perfect example of where I struggle to deal with Mike.  I truly want to like him.  I love the Beach Boys in part because of him and what he contributed.  However, this is a perfect example (IMO) of where he uses poor tact.  Why does he always have to bring up the Beatles?  Whether its pointing out that he was in India (with John, Paul and George) in 68', or writing Back in USSR with the guys (so he claims), or here in this poorest of uses, comparing Carl's cause of death (lung cancer) with George's death.  People die of lung cancer all the time, every day, everywhere.  Sorry, but I really think Mike tries to include a link to the Beatles to gain public appreciation.  You may disagree, but ask yourself, why does he have to mention George's death?  Why couldn't he just say that Carl died of lung cancer?  Sorry, but I think its poor taste in conversation and its (unfortunately) typical of Mike.  Is it just me?   

DonnaK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 08:12:19 AM »

I think Mike is, as always, trying to look like the nice guy by putting it out there that he'd be the one to initiate the whole thing, so IF it doesn't happen, no one can blame him. After all these years, he continues to hang on Brian and the Wilson's coat tails.

I'll be happy if they all live to the 50th and then take it as it comes.  Remember, we have absolutely NO say in what happens in this matter.
Paulos
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2010, 09:17:24 AM »

I'm not exactly sure what single date would constitute the 50th anniversary, is it in September 61?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 25, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »

Well... take your pick:

mid August - Brian, Carl, Mike, Dennis and quite possibly David accompany Alan to audition for Hite Morgan. Dennis informs Morgan Mike & Brian have written a song about surfing (they haven't).

late August - music room rehearsals according to Brian in Teen Set #1

September 2-4 - the legendary Labor Day weekend rehearsals

September 15 - audition/demo session for Hite Morgan at his house (as The Pendletones)

October 3 - 1st Morgan session at World Pacific

mid November - "Surfin'/Luau" released on Candix 331 (first appearence of the words "Beach Boys")

December 23 - first documented gig, during the interval of a Dick Dale show at the Rendezvous Ballroom

tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 25, 2010, 10:08:21 AM »

They've always tended to "jump the gun" on their anniversaries.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2010, 10:41:32 AM »

Give or take 10 or 15 months, who cares?   Next Spring/Summer is it!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2010, 04:18:16 PM »

Of course I'd love to see them doing something together. The articles show that there is interest in the media and public for a reunion. But, as somebody mentioned before, we're talking about the Beach Boys. Right now I don't think that there will be anything bigger that that one member will sit in the jury for "American Idol".... Yeah, it's the Beach Boys....

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2010, 11:09:12 PM »

They obviously didn't do their homework. They claim there are 3 surviving original Beach Boys, when there are four!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Jason
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2010, 12:03:18 AM »

Technically, "three surviving original Beach Boys" is correct - Brian, Michael, and Al. David replaced Al; Bruce obviously didn't come until 1965.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2010, 12:29:02 AM »

Eh, depends on how you define 'original' - according to Capitol files, David is an original.. and he was rehearsing with them before Alan pitched in.

c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2010, 01:31:39 PM »

Technically, "three surviving original Beach Boys" is correct - Brian, Michael, and Al. David replaced Al; Bruce obviously didn't come until 1965.

Oooooh...Jon?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx