gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680752 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 01:57:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th anniversary latest  (Read 36576 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« on: June 17, 2010, 02:47:57 PM »

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jun/17/mike-love-talks-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-brian-/

Thoughts, anyone ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Paulos
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 03:02:35 PM »

If Brian has actually agreed to this then I'm all for it but only if Al and Dave are also involved.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 03:05:10 PM by Paulos » Logged
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 03:25:51 PM »

Pretty thin on details, yet more than nada.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 03:46:20 PM »

I'll believe it when Val books Lutterworth auditorium and lets us know officially...

“We live in divisive times.”
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »

If true, it would be nice to see, but as with anything in the Beach Boy universe, I'll believe it when I see it.
BBLB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 05:51:28 PM »

If it is well-planned out AND rehearsed it should bring a tear to many a BB fan's eyes.  I also want to see Al and David involved.

BBLB
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »

Even if it was just Brian and Mike, I'd be obligated to see it.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »

If Brian's there and Al isn't, kinda lame.  (And I'd be way more interested if David was there as well)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 11:34:57 PM »

I think Brian would be well served, as it might provide closure for him.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 12:47:37 AM »

Ok, this article raises three questions:

1. Why do I get the feeling that if Brian reads this article, it will be the first time that he has heard about his having agreed to reunite?

2. What about Al? Will he be included? Without Al, there would be no oint to a "reunion".

3. Is it just me, or is Bruce starting to look like Regis Filbin?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 07:54:50 AM »

If Brian did agree to this, don't you think it would be easy to pursuade David and Al?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 08:00:24 AM »

I agree, I don't think Brian has even heard word one about his agreement.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 08:08:13 AM »

Without Al and Dave (and Bruce), this wouldn't be a reunion...

Mike currently puts on a good show, Brian currently puts on a good show.

But adding Brian's voice to Mike's band and labelling it the Beach Boys would actually lessen the current good vocal blend for no real good reason.

A re-union show needs to be a proper re-union for it to have any real meaning. Once all the surviving Beach Boys are on stage together, the magic of that moment will, to my mind, transcend the performance. Sadly Mike and Brian have possibly the weakest two voices of the current survivors.

The 50th needs marking properly by the band or individually by the surviving members. Not a partial gathering, which will only serve to emphasise, and draw attention to, the disharmony of the last four decades.

“We live in divisive times.”
Fun Is In
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 09:39:18 AM »

To paraphrase Mike: If I had a nickel for every unrealized BB plan.......
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 10:44:34 AM »

Of course, we must also consider the possibility that Mike is playing with low cards and trying to call Brian's bluff.

Val
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 03:24:06 PM »

Wee Helper -  Grin and maybe a  Roll Eyes

However, may I be cheeky here and let you all know that Beach Boys Britain is going to hold an event next year, in July 2011 to celebrate the 50th Anniversary of The Beach Boys.

Some details here of plans so far:

TO ALL BEACH BOYS FRIENDS, MUSICIAN FRIENDS AND LOVERS OF PEACE AND HARMONY

After a lovely and inspiring chat with my "Ideas Man" (aka James Crowther) and also after such a fantastic experience at this year's International Pop Overthrow Festival in Liverpool this year, we set our heads to work on what we could do for a Beach Boys Britain celebration, next year (2011) of 50 years of wonderful music and also celebrating that we know so many wonderful and talented musicians, Beach Boy historians and all generally good people. It NEEDS to be celebrated..and even those of us who have not seen eye to eye over the past few years for various reasons, could perhaps put aside the negativtiy and celebrate the POSITIVITY of this particular event.

So, having set the scene above, our idea is to get together as many of you as we can, for a day of fun and music, with all the people who have ever been connected by great music. Friendships were MADE with all this, in some cases we're asking that bygones BE bygones and a fresh "platter" presented for this, which could turn out to be a very special day, indeed.

An  event i s being planned for the weekend of July 9th and 10th 2011,  where great musicians and friends, old and new, would get together to perform not NECESSARILY Beach Boys Music, but the music that they make plus the music that inspired them to do what they do, in the first place. We would hope to tempt certain bands out of "retirement", just for this event or even just to come along for the fun of it and meet up with a lot of like-minded people.

OK - so it's going to (hopefully) be a big project - and one that I am most willing to work for, along with James and maybe one or two of you, even for old times sake and for the sake of the music? The one thing I would say is that since I would be the main co-ordinator, I would hope that this event could be staged in the Midlands of England (where I live!) which has its own "heart" significance..at The Wycliffe Rooms in Lutterworth - and is the home of so many great Beach Boys Britain events, where Jeffrey Foskett, Billy Hinsche, Alan Boyd, Trisha Campo, Stan Shapiro, Stevie Kalinich and our own Sean Macreavy and Andrew G. Doe have all graced the stage.

Suggestions, offers and thoughts most welcome... RSVP, hopefully in the affirmative...

We have had quite a lot of interest so far, by the way...

A Big  Fan of this Board - even though you can be very naughty at times!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2010, 03:23:44 PM »

Mike implies at this stage that Brian will more or less sit in with the band for a few shows. Guess that cuts out the long serving band members joining in also.

Yeah. Pretty lame as mentioned plus announced far to early I think. I would hold off going to a show this year on the possibility of a bigger deal next.
DJ M
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2010, 05:40:15 PM »

Mike's "official" announcement is now being reported as an actual fact:

If the ever reliable "Fraudulent News" says so, it MUST be true:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2010/06/21/brian-wilson-rejoin-beach-boys-th-anniversary-tour/

It's also been picked up here:
http://www.spinner.com/2010/06/21/brian-wilson-rejoining-beach-boys/
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/entertainment/music/Brian-Wilson-May-Rejoin-Beach-Boys-for-50th-Anniversary-Tour-96831274.html
http://www.live4ever.uk.com/2010/06/brian-wilson-to-rejoin-the-beach-boys-next-year/
http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Lifestyle/News/beach%2Dboys%2D0621/

All of these reports go back to the Las Vegas Sun interview w/ Mike; none has done any additional reporting, as far as I can tell.  As we all know, the LV Sun is THE source for official BB information.

Until there's an official press release/press conference, I'm not buying it.  I find it hard to believe that an "official" BB event like this would first be announced in an otherwise uneventful interview w/ the Las Vegas Sun.  I think Mike's announcement was more like a trial balloon (or Mike's wishful thinking) to get the wags talking and drum up some interest.  It appears this non-announcement announcement has done the trick.  W/ something this big there would be a carefully orchestrated announcement and press release, press conference, photo op, etc. like the 40th anniversary celebration of Pet Sounds on top of the Capital building. 

While I'm not saying that it definitely won't happen, I'm just not convinced by the facts that we have so far.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2010, 06:27:25 PM »

But adding Brian's voice to Mike's band and labelling it the Beach Boys would actually lessen the current good vocal blend for no real good reason.

How about going to see the Beach Boys and not wanting to hear other people singing the songs making for a glorified tribute concert?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 09:09:00 PM »

Meh.

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 10:50:08 PM »

They should all just gather at Al's barn and film themselves running through old songs and maybe a couple new ones and maybe go clean up horse sh*t, and then later in the evening erect a stage and play a couple sets for a local audience!

Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2010, 05:57:18 AM »

Brian's site has a statement on this:
http://www.brianwilson.com/news/index.html

Anyone find it weird that Mike himself would deny the claim on Brian's official site that he claimed true elsewhere?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2010, 06:30:44 AM »

Damn. Was really hoping they do a one off show

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2010, 06:53:20 AM »

From the BW board, as copied from another message board

Jun 22, 2010
Statement on the Beach Boys 50th Anniversary
As The Beach Boys approach 2011-2012 touring season, which will mark their 50th anniversary as a band, speculation continues to grow among fans and media as to reunion possibilities among all the original surviving members. In response to recent stories Mike Love had the following comments: "The Beach Boys continue to tour approximately 150 shows a year in multiple countries. At this time there are no plans for my cousin Brian to rejoin the tour. He has new solo projects on the horizon and I wish him love and success. We have had some discussions of writing and possibly recording together, but nothing has been planned. I, as I¹m sure he is, am proud and honored that The Beach Boys music has endured these 50 years, but felt the need to clarify that there are no current 'reunion' tour plans."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2010, 08:25:37 AM »

All Mike has said in this latest statement is that Brian isn't joining them this year. In fact, he's added something, that is the news about discussing writing & recording.

Of any of the band, Mike is probably the most legal-savvy. I seriously doubt he'd say what he did without there being some basis in fact. We'll see, and in the meantime, we have what I hope will be a seriously good BW album to occupy our time.  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx