gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 07:05:49 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's Personal Life?  (Read 11260 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2010, 10:20:45 AM »

I was just wondering, is it known if Carl lived long enough to hear any new songs from Brian, that ended up on his Imagination album? I always thought it was sad that Carl didn't live to see his brother make a "comeback".  Especially since the conservatorship(is that the right word?) case supposedly hit Carl really hard.

I thought I remembered there being a song written for Imagination with lyrics by Van Dyke Parks, that Carl was going to sing on, but that Carl was too sick and wasn't able to be on the track.  Does anyone remember this?

Not sure about VDP lyrics, but yes Carl was supposed to make a vocal appearance.  AGD probably knows the details...

Distinctly recall seeing an interview with Brian where he said he wanted Carl to sing with him on "Lay Down Burden", but he died before anything could be done.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2010, 10:49:40 AM »

Well, Carl certainly was around for the Paley sessions...

BTW...one other tidbit...someone told me that Carl always had bird legs and was embarrassed by them...

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
37!ws
Smiley Smile Associate

All baggudo at my man

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2010, 10:59:44 AM »

Curious....what album would have had "Sloop John B" in duophonic as its lead-off track???

Check out my podcasts: Tune X Podcast (tunex.fab4it.com) and Autobiography of a Schnook (SchnookPodcast.com); there are worse things you can do!
b00ts
Smiley Smile Associate

Greldont

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2010, 04:05:06 PM »

I was just wondering, is it known if Carl lived long enough to hear any new songs from Brian, that ended up on his Imagination album? I always thought it was sad that Carl didn't live to see his brother make a "comeback".  Especially since the conservatorship(is that the right word?) case supposedly hit Carl really hard.

I thought I remembered there being a song written for Imagination with lyrics by Van Dyke Parks, that Carl was going to sing on, but that Carl was too sick and wasn't able to be on the track.  Does anyone remember this?
According to the Peter Ames Carlin book, "Lay Down Burden" was supposed to be called "Portrait of a Man" with lyrics written by Van Dyke Parks. VDP could not finish the lyrics in time so they used the lyrics that ended up on Imagination. Also, apparently Carl was supposed to guest on Imagination.

- B00ts
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »

I heard/read some time ago that Brian wrote LDB rather quickly one night during the making of imagination, and showed up in a day or two at the recording sessions with the song.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »

I'm gonna throw this out there, I think Carnie and Wendy saw Carl and Al as important father figures in their lives, based on quotes and actions etc. Things that Brian wasn't always able to do they sort of filled the void.
Amazing how Uncle Dennis is tossed by the wayside, in spite of the fact that we used to take Carnie camping with us & stuff...

Absolutely my error, Dennis should have been included in that sentence for sure.  My apologies.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 06, 2010, 01:52:15 PM »

I heard/read some time ago that Brian wrote LDB rather quickly one night during the making of imagination, and showed up in a day or two at the recording sessions with the song.

In the "Imagination" DVD Joe Thomas recounts that information only says it was for the song "Cry."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:17:14 PM by Parks Asher » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx