gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680867 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 30, 2024, 05:31:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl's Personal Life?  (Read 11258 times)
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 08:56:11 PM »

I also think that Carl didnt stop smoking in 1985. I think it was later.

I'm pretty sure Carl had stopped smoking by 1984. Since I'm allergic to smoke, I notice when others are smoking nearby, and he didn't smoke around me (and he didn't know I was allergic). Ex-smokers do have backsliding episodes, so all I can say is that I never saw him smoking from 1984 on and this was on multiple occasions over a period of 13 years. The BBs, including Carl, eventually banned smoking backstage at concerts.

People also get hoarse from colds and viruses, so I don't think his being hoarse at Lorelei in '93 necessarily indicates a more serious illness. I saw the BB's Nov. '93 unplugged concert in Atlanta, and Carl was in fine voice there.

Adam is right about Carl having a hard time with the conservatorship battle in the early '90s. The whole business of Landy keeping Brian apart from the family was very painful for Carl, as was Dennis' loss. Add in chronic back pain, bouts of gout, weight gain, and the strain of trying to reconcile with his brother after the whole Landy business ended. This is enough to stress most people. Anyway, I didn't get the sense that Carl might be seriously ill until 1996, when I saw him walking from a distance and he just didn't look like himself.

I'm sick and tired of dwelling on Carl's demise. I wish he was still here, but he's not (at least physically). But these days, it seems like Carl and Dennnis have been reduced to obligatory footnotes in every news story about the BBs (died in 1983, died in 1998). Dennis and Carl meant a whole lot more to the band and the fans than that.

Here's a Carl tidbit -- a Delta pilot who was his guest at one show told me that Carl was an aviation fan and subscribed to Aviation Weekly. Not surprising considering that Hawthorne is an aerospace town, the airport is a few blocks from the Wilson home, and Carl's maternal grandfather was a pilot.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2010, 02:24:42 AM »

I have a Carl question. Did he make any kind of public remarks about the last few Beach Boys albums? I'm curios about his view on Summer In Paradise in particular. I remember seeing one interview clip of Carl from around the Still Cruisin'. The women interviewing him mentioned the fact that the group had a new album out. Carl rolls his eyes, gives the camera a fairly forced looking smile, and says "Yes...still cruisin' after all of these years". He made it rather ovious that he would have rather talked about something else.

On an unrelated note, am I the only Bee Gees fan in the world who does not like Barry's "falsetto"? in fact, I HATE it. It annoys me, and makes my ears hurt. Barry doesn't sing falsetto, he squeaks. It makes him sound like Mike Love with a sinus infection.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 07:27:19 AM »

While I like some of the Bee Gees late 60s and 70s stuff-I agree that Barry Gibb's falsetto-especially live-always bugged me too.  Certainly no competition for Brian (in his prime)
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2010, 11:08:28 AM »

Here's a Carl tidbit -- a Delta pilot who was his guest at one show told me that Carl was an aviation fan and subscribed to Aviation Weekly. Not surprising considering that Hawthorne is an aerospace town, the airport is a few blocks from the Wilson home, and Carl's maternal grandfather was a pilot.

That is interesting.  I am not as interested in Carl's biography (e.g. drug use etc.) as to his thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc.

My one observation is that he stepped back from the leadership (for whatever reasons) of the Beach Boys and results were not positive.  It is something that he never made any public comments on although it would have been normal to harbor some bitterness.

We know more than we would ever know about the relationship between Mike and Dennis and Mike and Brian but very little about the relationship between Mike and Carl (Did they like, respect and/or tolerate each other) even though that relationship was probably more important to the band than the Mike/Dennis drama fest.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

I have a Carl question. Did he make any kind of public remarks about the last few Beach Boys albums? I'm curios about his view on Summer In Paradise in particular. I remember seeing one interview clip of Carl from around the Still Cruisin'. The women interviewing him mentioned the fact that the group had a new album out. Carl rolls his eyes, gives the camera a fairly forced looking smile, and says "Yes...still cruisin' after all of these years". He made it rather ovious that he would have rather talked about something else.

On an unrelated note, am I the only Bee Gees fan in the world who does not like Barry's "falsetto"? in fact, I HATE it. It annoys me, and makes my ears hurt. Barry doesn't sing falsetto, he squeaks. It makes him sound like Mike Love with a sinus infection.

I was gonna mention that very same interview (with the legendary Cathy McGowan IIRC).  That's the only "comment" I ever recall Carl making on the later stuff.  And yeah, the little chuckle spoke volumes I thought.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2010, 04:09:58 PM »

That is interesting.  I am not as interested in Carl's biography (e.g. drug use etc.) as to his thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc.

My one observation is that he stepped back from the leadership (for whatever reasons) of the Beach Boys and results were not positive.  It is something that he never made any public comments on although it would have been normal to harbor some bitterness.

We know more than we would ever know about the relationship between Mike and Dennis and Mike and Brian but very little about the relationship between Mike and Carl (Did they like, respect and/or tolerate each other) even though that relationship was probably more important to the band than the Mike/Dennis drama fest.

Carl remained the defacto "musical director" of the live band until he was too sick to tour anymore.  I think it's safe to say Mike had gradually assumed control of the "business" side of things, and after "Endless Summer", that increasingly included the live song selection (although it's important to point out that when Guercio entered the scene as manager, the entire band - including Dennis - were willing to add more hits back into the show to boost their appeal).  When "Kokomo" hit big, Mike's power natually increased, and Carl probably stopped trying to get much in the way of new stuff in (I'm sure it was a major feat getting the '93 "unplugged" set in), but he still ran the musical side of things as far as how the band sounded to the very end.  I remember when Carl sat out the '81 tour to do his solo thing, he said he "respected the hell out of Michael"'s role as the band's frontman, now that he knew what it was like.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2010, 04:24:02 PM »

I have read interviews from Al in semi-recent years stating that Carl was not necessarily in favor of the unplugged shows, or some of the rarer songs in general because he was of the opinion that the guys did not have the vocal chops to pull off some the more difficult material in later years and because he was still concerned about audience reaction.  These were comments made by Al during his Family and Friends years, stating that he originally disagreed with Carl,  but after hearing the songs sung by Al, Matt, Carnie and Wendy he agreed that the material was better served by younger voices...

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2010, 05:25:20 PM »

I was told the same thing:  the unplugged tour was Al's idea, and Carl was initially skeptical.
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 21, 2010, 05:26:03 PM »

I have to disagree with Carl (and Al's later opinion), Carl and Al absolutely nailed those unplugged shows. For the first time in a long time, the spotlight of most of the show was on them instead of Mike and they nailed it. As a BB fan, I want to hear the BB sing their songs!!! I don't want to hear a side man if the originals are on stage!  I'll go see a tribute band if I wanted that. I think Carl missed that  point in this case.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2010, 07:16:22 PM »

I think Carl came around on the unplugged tour idea when he saw how well it was received. Anyway, he seemed pretty positive about it when we talked to him after the Atlanta show. Al was very happy about the show's reception -- he seemed really pleased when I told him how much I enjoyed hearing them do "Vegetables" and "Add Some Music."

Bubba Ho-Tep
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2010, 09:26:32 PM »

Carl, to me, is a real enigma. I've listened to The Beach Boys all my life, read every book and fanzine that crossed my path, yet I feel like I know next to nothing about the man behind the guitar and angelic voice.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »

Carl, to me, is a real enigma. I've listened to The Beach Boys all my life, read every book and fanzine that crossed my path, yet I feel like I know next to nothing about the man behind the guitar and angelic voice.

That could have been very intentional. Some people just don't like their personal business out in the open.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2010, 10:46:56 PM »

Any footage of these unplugged shows out there??

The one and only time I ever saw The Beach Boys live was the 93 box set celebration show in the Capitol Records parking lot (the one with the trucked in sand and palm trees and Stamos) and I remember being thrilled with just how handsome and vibrant Carl looked and sounded. He played quite a few guitar solos too, managing to seriously rock out on Do It Again, I can distinctly recall having the almost otherworldly experience of watching Carl sing and then turning around and hearing (and feeling) his awesome voice echo through the city around us. We're talking gorgeous Los Angeles sunset time with THAT voice enveloping everything in it's beauty! Made me damn proud to be an LA boy (to be more exact: a Hawthorne boy) for once!

Carl: we miss you dearly!
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2010, 12:56:25 PM »

Here ya go  Roll Eyes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrwz-D8Sz5Q
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2010, 07:35:24 PM »

It really is amazing when you compare how Carl looked in the early 90's compared to the mid 90's.  Apparently, multiple issues really took their toll on him.  But, I did hear Carl perform God Only Knows in 1994 and he sounded PERFECT!  It was hands down the highlight of the show.(Even better than John Stamos knocking part of his drum setup off the stage during Good Vibrations LOL!)

On a side note, does anyone know what type of car Carl drove?
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »

At one point he drove a Bentley (when he lived in L.A.) and later drove a Jeep when he lived in CO. You can see him sitting in the Jeep in the IJWMFTT feature.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2010, 12:44:27 AM »

Taught Carnie to drive in that Bentley, or so she says.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
tpesky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2010, 11:11:25 AM »

I'm gonna throw this out there, I think Carnie and Wendy saw Carl and Al as important father figures in their lives, based on quotes and actions etc. Things that Brian wasn't always able to do they sort of filled the void.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 08:53:26 PM »

I was just wondering, is it known if Carl lived long enough to hear any new songs from Brian, that ended up on his Imagination album? I always thought it was sad that Carl didn't live to see his brother make a "comeback".  Especially since the conservatorship(is that the right word?) case supposedly hit Carl really hard.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
acedecade75
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2010, 09:09:58 PM »

I know Brian said that he went to the piano and wrote "Lay Down Burden" as a response to finding out that Carl had cancer.  I assume that this would have been in the early part of 1997.  But there doesn't seem to be a lot of information on Brian and Carl's relationship during that final yerar other than that they watched the Super Bowl together.

On another note, I wonder if Brian has ever actualy listened to Carl's music that came out after his death("I wish For You" and "Like A Brother")?  I think both of these song are quite powerful and beautiful.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2010, 12:08:16 AM »

I know Brian said that he went to the piano and wrote "Lay Down Burden" as a response to finding out that Carl had cancer.  I assume that this would have been in the early part of 1997.

Sorry, Brian's misremembering that - "Lay Down Burden" was a known title a good time before Carl's illness was announced*, plus the lyric is obviously directed at a former lover (not to mention being written by Joe Thomas).

[* - unless, of course, Brian was told of Carl's cancer when it was first diagnosed/suspected back in 1995/96, as is generally presumed by a lot of folk here]

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ed Roach
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2010, 12:54:23 AM »

I'm gonna throw this out there, I think Carnie and Wendy saw Carl and Al as important father figures in their lives, based on quotes and actions etc. Things that Brian wasn't always able to do they sort of filled the void.
Amazing how Uncle Dennis is tossed by the wayside, in spite of the fact that we used to take Carnie camping with us & stuff...
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2010, 03:12:47 AM »

Had not heard that before Ed. I can imagine Dennis being the kind of who would love camping outdoors now that you mention it. Care to share more?
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2010, 09:09:47 AM »

I was just wondering, is it known if Carl lived long enough to hear any new songs from Brian, that ended up on his Imagination album? I always thought it was sad that Carl didn't live to see his brother make a "comeback".  Especially since the conservatorship(is that the right word?) case supposedly hit Carl really hard.

I thought I remembered there being a song written for Imagination with lyrics by Van Dyke Parks, that Carl was going to sing on, but that Carl was too sick and wasn't able to be on the track.  Does anyone remember this?
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2010, 10:17:39 AM »

I thought I remembered there being a song written for Imagination with lyrics by Van Dyke Parks, that Carl was going to sing on, but that Carl was too sick and wasn't able to be on the track.  Does anyone remember this?

Not sure about VDP lyrics, but yes Carl was supposed to make a vocal appearance.  AGD probably knows the details...
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx